What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Differences in Chlorinating Sanitizers  (Read 2537 times)

Whiskeyjack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Differences in Chlorinating Sanitizers
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:08:35 pm »
What's the difference in hth Chlorinating Sanitizer (calcium hypochlorite-47.6%) and Spa Essentials Chlorinating Concentrate (sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate99.0%)? I mean, can I use them interchangeably as a sanitizer? The hth is available locally to me at a much better price, but I've used the Spa Essentials up to now.

Hot Tub Forum

Differences in Chlorinating Sanitizers
« on: September 04, 2006, 10:08:35 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Differences in Chlorinating Sanitizers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:16:11 pm »
Calcium Hypochlorite

Commonly called "Cal-hypo", calcium hypochlorite was patented in 1799 and called "bleaching powder." It comes in a large granular form or as 1-inch or 3-inch tablets and is produced by passing chlorine gas over slaked lime. The resulting powder or granules provide 65 to 70 percent available chlorine. Cal-hypo will support combustion and one needs to avoid mixing it with acids, ammonia, soda pop, oil, trichlor or just about anything but water. Mixing with organics will cause a fire.

Because it is slow to dissolve, it should be used either in a feeder, or pre-dissolved in water and then added as a liquid. Cal-hypo can temporarily cloud the water, because the calcium takes a long time to dissolve completely. It can also cause calcium scaling and deposits on surfaces and in circulating equipment. Cal-hypo tends to increase the water hardness level quickly and has a high pH of 11.8. Neutralizing the pH requires approximately 4 ounces of muriatic acid per pound of cal-hypo.

Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione (Sodium Dichlor or Dichlor from short)

Sodium Dichlor is the only type of chlorine that should be used in spas. It's fast dissolving, will not cloud the water, is relatively pH neutral and has a long shelf life. Because of it's granular makeup, there's no way to automatically dispense it and it must be added by hand.

Sodium Dichlor is chemically produced by adding soda ash and cyanuric acid to a solution of trichlor. When dried the result is a granule that provides 56% - 62% available chlorine, depending on the method of manufacture.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Differences in Chlorinating Sanitizers
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 10:16:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42