What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Used Tub (Sat Empty for Months)... Questions  (Read 3734 times)

Brookenstein

New Used Tub (Sat Empty for Months)... Questions
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:23:18 pm »
My brother got a great deal on a used 2005 Jacuzzi J345.  It has sat empty in a garage for about 6 months.  He is having it delivered Sunday.  I told him he should plan to fill it and drain, then refill.  I'm guessing he should use swirl away and also buy new filters.  Is there anything else he should do?  He's in PHX so he doesnt have to worry about freezing conditions, is there anything else he needs to be concerned about or watch for when he starts it up the first time after sitting empty for so long?

TIA!

Hot Tub Forum

New Used Tub (Sat Empty for Months)... Questions
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:23:18 pm »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
Re: New Used Tub (Sat Empty for Months)... Questio
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:46:18 pm »
Have him go through the owner's manual and follow the start up procedures and he should be fine.

I would not be concerned because it sat for months.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 09:20:18 am »
Mine sat for 2 years and i did not have a problem.
follow the instructions and you should be fine

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 10:05:24 am »
Is it necessary to fill, do something, drain, refill?  Is a product like swirl away necesarry?  If so, I read on the bottle to use hot water... is that needed or just expected since it is a hot tub.  I'm just wondering if he has to take the time/energey/expense to heat water for 8 hours to get it to 100 degrees just to clean it and dump it or if he can just us it the 90+ degree PHX tap water?  

I guess my main concern is not knowing how well the pipes were emptied and if there is nasty water inside the plumbing.

Reese

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 10:32:51 am »
I would just fill it, check for leaks, shock it (at least 10 ppm dichlor), run all the systems (each pump/zone/diverter, check heater, ozone, etc), and check for leaks again.  Chlorine is effective at any temp, so you don't have to wait for it to heat up.  Let it sit for a couple of hours to make sure the chlorine has time to kill anything it finds, check the chlorine level add more if necessary, run everything again, then decide based on how much stuff came out of the pipes, if it looks like Swirl Away is necessary before draining.  (In Phoenix, the tub may already be up to temp by the time this is all done.)  Drain, clean the filters/install new ones and refill.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 05:45:44 pm »
, is there anything else he needs to be concerned about or watch for when he starts it up the first time after sitting empty for so long?

TIA!
Scorpions? Rattlesnakes?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Amanda_Panda

• Clearwater
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 05:53:50 pm »
when you fill the spa and get it up n running, you may want to make sure that all of the jets are in an "open" position as well as any "diverters" to be centered. This will make sure all of the lines are open for water to go through them and blowout anything that may have built up over the last couple of years. It wouldn't hurt to take the jets out and clean them as well. I aggree with the above statements... a good "super-chlorination" should take care of things. It'll be nice once everything is cleaned up! happy future soaks to you!
-Amanda
The best intention pales in comparison to the smallest good deed.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:04:14 pm »
The 345 is awesome.  I almost got it but went with the 335 for the lounger, which i never use.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:04:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42