What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Hotspring Grandee Owner  (Read 2909 times)

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
New Hotspring Grandee Owner
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:02:47 pm »
After talking about it for a lot of years, we finally decided to buy a hot tub.  We spent a lot of time researching various tubs, talking to owners, and treking from one dealer to another, we finally decided on a Hot Spring Grandee.  

We have had our tub for about a week now and we have found it to be even better than we thought!  I wish we had not waited so many years to buy one.  Our tub is located on a paver patio next to our deck.  

We are using the silver ion system using the MPS oxidizer, and only using the chorine for weekly shocking.  Right now we have been using the spa for about an hour a day, usually just my wife and I, but no more than four at a time.  So far I have had to add the oxidizer every other day and it seems to be working well, other than the fact that we are having a little bit of a problem with foaming.  

If anyone has any suggestions for the water chemistry I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

New Hotspring Grandee Owner
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:02:47 pm »

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
Re: New Hotspring Grandee Owner
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 01:41:09 am »
Congrats!

I, too am a new Grandee owner, 2 weeks tomorrow.

I'm on the Silver/Ozone/MPS system also, but no chlorine.  My dealer, and the user manual spell out this sytem:

Ph Balance Plus after refill
Silver cartridge
Ozonator
2 TBS MPS before each soak
6 TBS MPS weekly shock
3-4 month refill

My buddy's had a Vanguard on that system for 2 years now with no problems.  It's just me and my wife using the tub, 1/2 hour a day.

I did buy some chlorine for the 1 or 2 times a year we have a party.

I know most people on this board say you have to use chlorine.  I spent my entire youth in pools, on the swim team (2-a-days in High School, ugh!) and as a lifeguard, and I've come to hate the stuff, so I'm going to give this system a try.

We have foam while the jets are on, but it clears immediately when we turn them off.  We do an extra rinse cycle on our suits, as recomended here and elsewhere.

Can I ask you what you paid?  We paid $8900, no SpAudio.  Espresso outside, pearl inside.

We love it.  It's been part of our plan for the house since we moved in almost 4 years ago.  Once we get our backyard finished, with higher fences ;) it will be even better.

-geekd

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 09:00:11 am »
We are using the silver ion system using the MPS oxidizer, and only using the chorine for weekly shocking.  Right now we have been using the spa for about an hour a day, usually just my wife and I, but no more than four at a time.  So far I have had to add the oxidizer every other day and it seems to be working well, other than the fact that we are having a little bit of a problem with foaming.  

If anyone has any suggestions for the water chemistry I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Bill

I also have ozone and use a similar system.  The only difference is I add the MPS before each use.  Two years no problems.  Foaming can come from swimsuits that have not been rinsed real well.  If it's minor don't let it bother you - just enjoy!!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 10:51:13 am »
Congratulations. Another in HS hot water!
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 07:25:05 pm »
May you always have hot, bubbly water!!!!!
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 10:18:43 pm »
Congrats!

Can I ask you what you paid?  We paid $8900, no SpAudio.  Espresso outside, pearl inside.

We love it.  It's been part of our plan for the house since we moved in almost 4 years ago.  Once we get our backyard finished, with higher fences ;) it will be even better.

-geekd

You got a good price.  We paid 9800 (including cover, stairs, etc).   We did not buy the spa audio either.  Our tub has the Azurite interior and a grey exterior.  

Bill

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 10:32:22 pm »

You got a good price.  We paid 9800 (including cover, stairs, etc).   We did not buy the spa audio either.  Our tub has the Azurite interior and a grey exterior.  

Bill

I'm in San Diego.  Hot Springs spas are made in Vista, CA, from what I understand.  That's only 40 miles away.  I wonder if that had an impact on my price?

-geekd

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 11:10:27 am »

I'm in San Diego.  Hot Springs spas are made in Vista, CA, from what I understand.  That's only 40 miles away.  I wonder if that had an impact on my price?

-geekd

We are about 40 miles North of Washington DC.  Transportation could well be an issue.  We also bought a cover, cover lifter, stairs and a handrail.  

Bill

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 11:29:17 am »
Bill:  Welcome to the world of hot bubbly water....oh and this forum also...We love our Grandee and couldnt be happier with our choice and also our dealer. Going on just over 2 years now and we still use it almost daily.    :)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 04:00:29 pm »
You should be using some chlorine. Sorry, but as good as the ozone, silver ion and MPS system is, you still need to shock now and then.

I do it once a month, or any time we have guests in the tub.

If you run the jets with the lid open after shocking with Dichlor, you will have allowed most of the smell to go away. If you run the jets with the lid open for an hour, you may find most of chlorine itself is gone. That once per month can really make a difference - and the impact as far as chlorine odor is minimal.

Also - I recommend changing the water once at the thirty day period for new tub owners. Just once - after that you can go four months. The first time is important beause of foam, soap, oils, and the general over-tending that new tubs get.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 08:55:35 pm »

We are about 40 miles North of Washington DC.  Transportation could well be an issue.  We also bought a cover, cover lifter, stairs and a handrail.  

Bill

We got a cover, the upright lifter & stairs, but no handrail.

We're still working on our backyard.  Did about 5 hours today in the hot sun, laying pavers around the new deck (which we built over the last several weekends).  2 more weekends and the bulk of it will be done.  I can't wait for the sun to go down so it will get cool enough to go in the tub.

Bill75

• 2006 Grandee owner
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 09:33:37 pm »
Thanks for the thoughts about the monthly shocking with Dichlor and the initial 30 days.  We had pretty much decided to do a monthly Dichlor shock, but we had not thought about the initial 30 day drain.  

For everyone who has added to our initial posting, thanks for your welcome.  I am looking forward to learning more as we continue to read and contribute.  

Bill

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 10:05:55 am »
Silver will not break down organics, which could result in some of the foaming your getting ( I agree you need to add chlorine at least once a week to help break down ).  For others who use Nature II, you might try the Spa FROG stick and see if you have better results.  It works with Chlorine and does not require pre-shocking before or after you get into the tub.  The silver is different and doesn't need to broken down into ion form like the Nature II system.  That's why most owner's manuals will tell you to shock with chlorine or MPS before getting into a tub with Nature II.  Nature II will not work without this frequent shocking.  The Spa Frog will work better (supposedly) without "usage" shocking but rather weekly shocking.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 08:28:49 pm »

-geekd
I'm just north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin....we paid $8300 for ours in March, including cover, cover lift, steps, chemicals, no spaudio.....
I doubt it's how close you are to the manufacturer, more likely it's what the cost of living is around your area....
RIP C-Rod

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:04:57 pm »

-geekd
I'm just north of Milwaukee, Wisconsin....we paid $8300 for ours in March, including cover, cover lift, steps, chemicals, no spaudio.....
I doubt it's how close you are to the manufacturer, more likely it's what the cost of living is around your area....

Not sure about that either. I live in Southern California where the standard of living is very high but our hot tubs prices are very reasonable. I think it has to with how competitive the spa market is in your particular area. I guess it's all about economics 101.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:04:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42