What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover lifters  (Read 2894 times)

barshnik

Cover lifters
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:48:10 pm »
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death, but all I'm looking for is recommendations and user feed back, which serch results were a little 'spotty' on.

Brand new Artisian Falcon, 7' x 7'.

I'm liking the simplicity of the 'Cover Slide', where you mount 2 swing arms on one side, open the cover, and slide it onto the arms.  Also, it is cheap.

Other options seem to be CoverCaddy, CoverValet, Cover Butler, etc.  The pneumatic assist designs look cool, but I'm a little worried about stress and wear on the cover split.

I don't really have any space restrictions, BTW, thus my consideration of the very simple CoverSlide.  The Artisian is full foam filled, so can't get to the sides to mount internal 2x4's which seem to be required for some of the lifts.  The pad is concrete, but I'd rather not drill into it if possible.

Any feedback is welcomed...

John F
LV, NV

Hot Tub Forum

Cover lifters
« on: August 31, 2006, 01:48:10 pm »

yt

• They are all good if you like 'em! '06 D1 Diplomat
Re: Cover lifters
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 03:37:25 pm »
I have a cover slider and love it because it does not block your view from the tub.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 03:44:45 pm »
I have a traditional cover lifter and like it because it DOES block the view (neighbors) from that side.    :)

I also like that I can open mine about 75% of the way and block out the rain on one side.

If you get the one that slides the cover, just make sure you push the cover and don't pull it (especially by the skirt).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

barshnik

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:46:19 pm »
I have a cover slider and love it because it does not block your view from the tub.

Oh, and my cats will love sitting up there while wife & I are in the spa!  Just thought of that...

John F
LV, NV

barshnik

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 03:48:45 pm »
I have a traditional cover lifter and like it because it DOES block the view (neighbors) from that side.    :)

I also like that I can open mine about 75% of the way and block out the rain on one side.

If you get the one that slides the cover, just make sure you push the cover and don't pull it (especially by the skirt).

Rain isn't much of a factor here in LV (what, a few times a year?)  Thanks for the tip on pushing, not pulling.  Only downside I can see is eventual scratching of the spa topside surface since you are sliding instead of lifting, but that really should be minimal, I'd think.  Any experience with scratching using the 'slider'?

John F
LV, NV
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:50:59 pm by barshnik »

yt

• They are all good if you like 'em! '06 D1 Diplomat
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 03:59:45 pm »
My cover has handles built in to it.  I use these to pull the cover on to the sliders.  There could be some scratching of the underside of the cover.  I only have three months experience with it.  Here is a picture of my spa with the cover off.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 04:11:20 pm »

Oh, and my cats will love sitting up there while wife & I are in the spa!  Just thought of that...

John F
LV, NV
Hope you don't think that's a good thing since cat hair would have a tendency to migrate into the tub...cleaning human hair from the filter is bad enough for me...and then there's the claws...and yes, I have 3 too many cats...for a total of 3...and, yes, I really do like'em... ;)

And, BTW, splashing the cats works pretty well (and is FUN too!) to discourage feline tub presence...except for the most stubborn/stupid cats (you never know with a cat).

Only downside I can see is eventual scratching of the spa topside surface since you are sliding instead of lifting, but that really should be minimal, I'd think.

I agree.  

Also, to facilitate sliding, use 303 on the underside of your cover--it will make it slick and much easier to slide...and protect it too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 04:13:24 pm by windsurfdog »
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 04:38:48 pm »
My windy friend, I would be willing to trade you 1 of my 2 cats, for all three of your cats.... I truely have the cat from hell.

Hot tub story.. So late one night I'm in the hot tub. It's rather cold out, and the cat is sitting next to the tub, just down wind, enjoying the steam blowing over her. But it's cold, so she's slowly nudging over closer and closer to the nice warm steaming water. Closer and closer.......... Yiou can guess the outcome........ BTW, now, if I even open the cover, she runs inside the house.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 07:36:20 pm »
I have a Cover Caddy on a Vanguard and it works great.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 08:23:34 am »
My windy friend, I would be willing to trade you 1 of my 2 cats, for all three of your cats.... I truely have the cat from hell.

Hot tub story.. So late one night I'm in the hot tub. It's rather cold out, and the cat is sitting next to the tub, just down wind, enjoying the steam blowing over her. But it's cold, so she's slowly nudging over closer and closer to the nice warm steaming water. Closer and closer.......... Yiou can guess the outcome........ BTW, now, if I even open the cover, she runs inside the house.

LOL...nice that she is self training.  I'd take that deal since it sounds like you've got her trained well but I don't think I'd get approval from my girls...I mean, if they won't let me go shark fishing I doubt they'd go along with the trade!  (BTW, no animals were harmed during the telling of that joke.)  We've started calling the one problem cat "BP" for bi-polar...as sweet as you can imagine...and then suddenly becoming the "Queen of Cat Hell" in the flash of an eye!  And then there's her littermate brother who has the best personality one could ever hope for in a cat...go figure...
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 09:46:10 am »
That one you can't have.......... It's the other one. The one, that runs up to you purring and rubs up against you. Then you try to pet her and immediately pull away a bloody stump. The one that wants cuddle up with you at 3 am, but if you dare move, she'll take out your eye.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 11:48:08 am by lets »

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 11:47:27 am »
But wait, there's more.......... She's also a substance abuser. It started with just coffee. Spill a bit of ground coffee on the counter, and she'll lick it up. So I got a little better at cleaning up after my self. Then she went for any used grounds I'd dump down the disposal. Ok, make sure they ALL go down the drain. Gotta remember to actually run the disposal as well. Though it's kind of funny to watch her stick her entire head down the drain to get to them.

From there she moved on to cigarettes. A hard pack she can daintily open, and with a single claw pull just one out. A soft pack she'll bat around the house till one falls out. Good luck getting the cigarette away from her without needing medical attention.

Now she's moved on to prescription drugs. But she's smart and waits till 2 am, when she thinks everyone is sound asleep. Into the bathroom  and up on the counter she goes. Only take her a few seconds to open the medicine cabinet and COMPLETELY clean it out. Don't bother trying to keep the bathroom door closed. She figured out how to open closed doors by the time she was 6 months old (doesn't matter which way the door opens either. She can pull them open as easily as pushing them open. YES, she also turns the door knob).

Thankfully the exterior doors have magnetic weather stripping and she isn't strong enough to open those (yet). But it did teach me something. I now have magnets installed on 3 closet doors and the medicine cabinet in an attempt to keep her out.

Friends assure me that if I manage to care for her through her entire natural life, it's a stone cold guarantee I'll get into heaven. Oh, by the way, she weights just under 8 pounds.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 11:56:37 am »

Now she's moved on to prescription drugs.

My Sidney seen below has a steroid prescription and boy has she bulked up.  She couldn't legally play, but I'd bet the could kick a Nittany lions' ass all the way back to State College.   ;)

She loves to sit in the kitchen and watch us in the hot tub.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 11:57:06 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

barshnik

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 12:26:20 pm »
Oh, sure, I mention a cat, and now this thread has elevated in importance!  Actually we have 4 cats - only one likes to sit on the spa while we're in it, and sorry to say she's gone into kidney shutdown, and recovery from that is 'iffy' at best.  Currently at the vet till Monday, and hopefully will begin home treatment then.

So, what spa lifter do I want to have for our new Artesian?  Beginning to have second thought about the slider.  If it helps, I'm in the spa every morning (alone, so will usually only lift one side of the cover, and every evening (cover will have to be removed with some kind of lift).

Thanks
John F
LV, NV

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 05:39:17 pm »
I like the Covermate products. I sold a lot of the Covermate products at my last dealership, they're well made. They have all styles depending on what you like. The easiest will be the CM3, with the shocks, and they shouldn't give out for years, but it sticks up the highest. The other ones are easy also, and have no moving parts. I have the CM3 for my spa, because I have a street light it blocks.  ;) Otherwise, I'd have probably got the Covermate 2 or EZ. Hope that helps. I don't know much about other companie's lifts and how they're made. Don't want to tick anybody off by insulting thier cover lift..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 05:39:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42