What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Shell Surface Warranty?  (Read 3633 times)

JUST ME

Shell Surface Warranty?
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:35:25 am »
Hi All,

Does anyone know much about the "Limited Lifetime Warranty" on the D1's UltraLife warranty?

Thanks so much in advance.

just me

Hot Tub Forum

Shell Surface Warranty?
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:35:25 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Shell Surface Warranty?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:17:27 am »
The dealer should have provided this information to you.  It is on their website:

Lifetime UltraLife® Shell Warranty:
During years one (1) through seven (7), Dimension One Spas will repair or replace, at its option, any hot tub found defective under the terms of this warranty. No charge will be made for parts or labor. Normal shipping costs will be covered in areas where there is an Authorized Dimension One Spas Dealer within thirty (30) miles/fifty (50) kilometers. After year seven (7), Dimension One Spas will repair or replace the hot tub, at its option, provided the hot tub is returned at owner’s expense, to Dimension One Spas, 2611 Business Park Dr., Vista, CA 92081. Dimension One Spas is not liable for any freight, shipping, removal and/or installation.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:29:00 pm »
That is exactly right!!  So if something happens after year seven, the hot tub owner ships the spa back to the manufacturer, with the help of the dealer.  Currently at a cost of around $200-$300.  Sounds great to me, seven plus years down the road the ultralife shell fails on the spa, you get a new one for a couple hundred bucks!!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 04:26:23 pm »
So if something happens after year seven, the hot tub owner ships the spa back to the manufacturer, with the help of the dealer.

With the help of the dealer? Where in the warranty does it say the dealer will give any help (without charging for it).

Reread the last sentence of the warranty;

[size=14]Dimension One Spas is not liable for any freight, shipping, removal and/or installation.[/size]

So, whom does this liability fall to?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

JUST ME

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 08:48:31 pm »
Hi TX, Mark and Dr. Spa,

The salesman did tell the that I would be liable for the shipping and I did look at the warranty. This is why I ask the question to get some impute from the more experienced personnel on the forum.

That shell is no extra cosp up front and in 8-10 years if the shell would need replaced it might cost what $300-$1000 for shipping,,  $8000-$10,000 for a new spa.

Thanks again,

just me

ps would still like more impute if you please

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 11:00:21 pm »
I agree with ya. If you look at it as a 7 year warranty, and after seven years it only costs shipping, it might not be so bad. I have a D1 dealer near me that even adds their own "add-on" warranty that they'll cover the removal and re-installation costs (as long as there's reasonable access [no crane required] and no obstructions [built into a deck]). They also claim they can ship the tub back for next to nothing by putting it on the truck that delivers their spas (the D1 factory is only a days drive from them, rather than across country).

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:57:56 am »
Shipping costs vary greatly based on location.  My guess is around $1,000 total.  Remember, after year 7 it's at their "OPTION" whether or not they'll cover the shell under warranty.  Technically, any spa company that covers shell for 7 years could list Limited Lifetime, but it tends to be a little misleading.  

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 10:06:43 am »
I don't understand why everyone gets hung up on the shell warranties.  If something's going to happen to the shell, chances are good it'll happen in the first few years.  Shell cracks are a pretty simple fix, especially those white D1 shells and Endurol Hot Spring shells.

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:11:08 am »
I agree.  However, how companies use the warranty literature to gain or influence a sale does matter and brings a companies integrity into question.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:59:20 am »
I agree.  However, how companies use the warranty literature to gain or influence a sale does matter and brings a companies integrity into question.

I'd have to agree. They use that "Lifetime" term as a sales pitch knowing full well it is going to give the potential customer a certain imprssion that is not completely understood as I doubt many customers understand teh fine print Term highlighted above. D1 is a fine company otherwise.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Guzz

• I sell HotSprings & other things as well!
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 11:18:19 am »
The shell's going to be there 30 years from now, surrounded by a bunch of worn out parts.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 04:10:49 pm »
That is exactly right!!  So if something happens after year seven, the hot tub owner ships the spa back to the manufacturer, with the help of the dealer.  Currently at a cost of around $200-$300.  Sounds great to me, seven plus years down the road the ultralife shell fails on the spa, you get a new one for a couple hundred bucks!!

Shipping one spa to SoCal will cost much more than that. I tried to ship a spa to my uncle in Colorado from GA and the cheapest I could find was $900 and that is only one way. D1 knows this and I would be surprised if anyone outside of the SoCal area has took then up on this. Once you look into the freight and removal and installation buy the dealer you would be in the range of $2,000. D1 should remove from their warranty and quit misleading people. They have no shame!
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Mark_Vee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 11:51:12 am »
Yes, with shipping spas to and from California for many years, I can honestly say that most of the time it is only a couple of hundred dollars to ship a spa back to them.  And yes, if you have a good dealer they will assist you with this.

My big question is that if you are more than 7 years down the road and your spa shell cracks, delaminates, blisters, etc.  what are you going to do if you do not have the warranty the Ultralife shell from D1 has?  If you ask me even $2,000.00 would be a bargain for a replacement spa, when normally you would be out of luck.  

So, how is this shameless and misleading?

shabba34

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 12:15:13 pm »
With the verbage in the warranty stating that it is "At the Option" of the Mfg to decide if they are going to fix or replace said spa, the "Limited" lifetime warranty is just that, "Limited".  Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't.  Either way the customer is going to pay, deaming the lifetime full replacement warranty an actual 7 year warranty.  Still a stong warranty none the less.  My highlighted portion of that part of the warranty comes in handy on occasion. ;)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 01:45:47 pm »
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg, more archived info I can't find. There's a governmental document defining required verbiage for warranties. I think from the FTC.

"Limited" is defined as not including anything and everything that might be involved in the repair or replacement of a defective product. This INCLUDES shipping. If you are required to return a product at YOUR expense, the warranty is "Limited". "Limited" has nothing to do with "repair" or "replace"

"Repair or Replace"....... Lets say you return a leaking spa and it's determined that a fitting is leaking. Should the manufacture REALLY replace the entire spa to satisfy the warranty?

I would tend to more call the warranty prorated. After the first 7 years, the customer becomes responsible for any and all shipping costs.. Still better than nothing. possibly much better.

With the verbage in the warranty stating that it is "At the Option" of the Mfg to decide if they are going to fix or replace said spa, the "Limited" lifetime warranty is just that, "Limited".  Maybe they'll fix it, maybe they won't.  Either way the customer is going to pay, deaming the lifetime full replacement warranty an actual 7 year warranty.  Still a stong warranty none the less.  My highlighted portion of that part of the warranty comes in handy on occasion. ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 01:45:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42