What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chlorine Allergy!  What do I use?  (Read 11187 times)

taylornmartin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Chlorine Allergy!  What do I use?
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:32:09 pm »
I have apparently developed an allergy to chlorine in the past couple years.  Pools and Spas have been giving me an itchy rash.  My dermatologist says to get used to it, or maybe try using different chemicals in my hot tub.  Has anyone had a problem like this?  What did you do?  I've been in my hot tub about four times this year and I got a rash that lasted about a week to ten days each time.  I've also used a couple of pools this summer and the same thing happened.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Martin

Hot Tub Forum

Chlorine Allergy!  What do I use?
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:32:09 pm »

mjb

Re: Chlorine Allergy!  What do I use?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:12:17 pm »
For our customers that are in your
same situation we recommend the
SoftSoak line of spa water chemicals.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:10:34 pm »
Soft Soak. Baqua Spa are a couple but be aware that the hydrogen peroxide in the shock is very hard on plastics and pump seals. Some manufactures do not even recommend you use it period.

Jets popping out, cracked light lens, cracked topside panels and leaking pumps are the most common side affects.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 04:12:58 pm »
I have apparently developed an allergy to chlorine

Thanks,
Martin

You use the word "apparently". Has your dermitologest actualy done testing to determine that this is correct?

Questions for ya......... how do you bath? Almost all city water systems have more chlorine in their water than a spa does.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 06:12:24 pm »
go to granular bromine. If that doesn't do it, it's time for SoftSoak.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:19:32 pm »
I have apparently developed an allergy to chlorine

Thanks,
Martin

You use the word "apparently". Has your dermitologest actualy done testing to determine that this is correct?

Questions for ya......... how do you bath? Almost all city water systems have more chlorine in their water than a spa does.
This is a very good point. I have had many people come in to our stores over the years claiming chlorine allergies.

We set them up on Dichlor, but show them how to have almost NONE in the water at the time they are using the spa. Add a bit as they are getting out, run the jets with the lid open for 15 minutes to gas off most of the odor.

Surprise! They have no problems. BTW, as was asked above: if you have not had an actual allergy test, your Derm. might very well be guessing.

I have found ONE customer in twenty years who actually has a reaction to chlorine. She noticed that handling bleach in the laundrey made her hands redden up and go nuts. But she was still ok to run her tub on a dichlor system.

Most people have skin issues because of the hot water. It drys your skin a bit all by itself. If you try lotion after the spa, and the reaction stops, you may just be reacting to the hot water.

Other people get 'hot tub rash' which is a Pseudomonas, and the doc thinks it is an allergy to chlorine.

I would check further before assuming it is a reaction to the chlorine: as Doc said above, your tap water most likely has a lot of chlorine in it anyway.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 12:43:52 pm »

I was going to mention part A, makes sense to get the doctor involved.

But as for part b?  at least out of the tap, the chlorine isn't measurable by test kit. The water report I got from the city does list it as being pretty low (forget the value)  But I assume you mean the level that most people soak in as many, including my self add chlorine after soaking and then when you soak again, the level is almost zero.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 02:20:12 pm »
But as for part b?  at least out of the tap, the chlorine isn't measurable by test kit.
Wow - that's good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

We frequently will have a chlorine level of 3 ppm in a tub that has just been filled on delivery. We still shock it, as per manufacturers instructions, but it could be used just as it is.

Some days of the week are higher than that - I don't know the schedule the city uses to chlorinate our drinking water, but I could probably guess.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

taylornmartin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 07:39:29 am »
I am on a well, so there's no city water in the tub.  I have tried bromine, but still had the same problem.  I've had the rash after using a couple of different pools, so I don't think it's the temperature that's causing it.  I moisturize like crazy.  I really miss using my hot tub and I'll try anything.  How about Eco One or Clearwater Blue?  Has anyone tried these?

Thanks,
Martin

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 09:13:40 am »
Martin,

Go to www.rhtubs.com and in the FAQs get the Vermonter's water treatment program.  After reading it, please post and tell us in what ways it differs from what you have been doing up to now.  As Chas said, if you follow the procedure outlined so that the dichlor is added after you soak, there should be little or no chlorine in your tub the next day when you get into the water again.  If you follow that approach and you still have get the rash, then it is not chlorine that is causing it.  In that case your only alternative chemical treatment approach is to go with one of the peroxide based products such as Bacqua Spa.

Bromine is not likely to be an option for you because it is a halogen just like chlorine.  Moreover, bromine must be maintained at a residual of 2-3 ppm at all times, so if you are indeed allergic to chlorine, bromine could actually make it worse.

Bill

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 09:19:11 am »
Martin,

Another thought.  Could you tell us the chemistry of your raw water out of the well?  If could have acidity from fertilizers and runoff (urea for example could get into the ground water) and such that could be causing your irritation.  If necessary you could take a sample of your water to a pool and spa supply store and have them test it.  Find out pH, total hardness, alkalinity, chlorine (if any - unlikely), etc.

Bill

taylornmartin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 11:21:27 am »
Thanks for all the help!  My water test was as follows:
Odor  0,  Turbidity  6,  Color  10,  pH  6.25,  Nitrate Nitrogen  <0.001,  Chloride (as Cl)  3,  Hardness (asCaCO3)  24, Iron (as Fe)  1.6, Mangenese 0.645,  Sodium  6.2,  Sulfate  16, Coliform Bacteria per 100mls  0,  Organic chemicals were all below detectable level.

Also, I tried to find the Vermonter's procedure on the rhtubs.com site, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks again,
Martin

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 12:27:44 pm »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 08:22:59 pm »
let's change the focus slightly....other than dichlor, what chemicals do you use in your tub? Can you find out what chems are used in the pools you also got reaction from? It's possible you're allergic to something in the water OTHER than the most obvious.
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 08:22:59 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42