What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Why big $$ for sound ?  (Read 4518 times)

Joel T

Why big $$ for sound ?
« on: August 25, 2006, 12:13:28 pm »
Marquis, Hot Springs and Sundance, I think, have "transducers" or Trans... somethin-or-other planted on their shells to give some nice feeling sounds.  Marquis sound source is the homeowners existing sound setup, no tuner's included. But at $1K and way up that's too much. Is their an aftermarket do-it-yourself equivalent out their that might save a bunch of bucks?

Hot Tub Forum

Why big $$ for sound ?
« on: August 25, 2006, 12:13:28 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Why big $$ for sound ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 12:38:15 pm »
what part of the country are you in ?

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:56:39 pm »
The attraction of the sound systems is you as the customer do not have to do anything. It's done and working when spa is delivered.

Aftermarket to install in the spa?, haven't heard of any.

You can get a great system with outdoor speakers from Tweeter, BestBuy, Etc. Have to research which one is good, go shop for it, bring it home, get out the tools, drill holes in house to run wires(if not wireless), mount speakers, etc, etc, etc. Is the shopping experience and installation with your time worth $1,500+? You'll need to decide.

I think the Spaudio's are pricey. Big time convenience though to be able to manipulate it from the spa, and YOU don't have to lift a finger to install.

For us to install a Spaudio, it takes about an hour with 2 people with the spa on a forklift, chest height, prior to delivery. A bit longer when spa's already in place.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 01:49:12 pm »
Couldn't have summed it up any better myself.  If you're installing a SpAudio II for the first time it typically takes about 5 or 6 hours total.  One person can do it in 5 or 6, or two people can do it in 2-3.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 02:09:24 pm »
And how long at the factory, during production, does the sound system actually add to production time?

I could have upgraded the stock (cheap a$$) seats in my car, from the factory for $1500. Now it would cost me $5800, each
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 02:51:33 pm »
Joel,  I have a Marquis Epic with the Soundsations. There is nothing like it. We also have a speaker system on our decks for when we are in the yard, or in the pool but listening to that system while in the tub, (unless the jets are off) is just about pointless. I love the transducer system because you can control everything from the tub and the sound is actually coming from the tub. You get no distortion. It also seems to keep the sound within the tub so you don't have to blast it so the neighbors all know you are soaking at 12 am!  I don't remember what we paid for it, but I am sure my husband would say it was worth every penny. ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 03:54:46 pm »
In my humble opinion, I would no more buy a spa with a built-in sound system/video system than I would by a sound system/video system with a built-in spa.  Ask any spa tech at this site how he feels about troubleshooting built-in sound/video systems...I'm guessing few, if any, are happy about it.  As Joel T. alluded, $1k can buy a LOT of top quality sound equipment that would be much higher quality and easier to maintain...but don't ask the manufacturers/dealers their opinions... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 04:04:37 pm »
Dr. Spa,
Factory does not install. Dealer does. Can not be ordered factory installed.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 04:31:12 pm »
One other way to look at it:

My Sundance Stereo unit is marine grade, and I've seen the exact same unit for sale for about $300 at a relatively inexpense source- that's just for the reciever/CD unit.  Pop on another couple hundred bucks for the marine grade pop up speakers, and a couple hundred more for the Sub Woofer and amplifier, and you're well over $500 if you bought the stuff outside of Sundance.  
  Of course, the dealer and factory are making extra profit on the stuff, just like car dealers and anyone else who sells this stuff, and allowing for the extra work to integrate it nicely into the spa- I can see how it'd be worth the price.

The sound quality is tremendous, it convenient, and well executed.  In 3+ years, I've had no trouble at all with it, and it doesn't look to me like it'd be that big of a deal to replace any of the components should the need arise.

To me it was worth the money.  Running speakers outside didn't interest me.  

Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 04:35:42 pm »
In my Marquis tub, only the speakers are in the tub. We use the sound system in our sunroom.  Double check on that price, as I look at my receipt, we paid less than $500.00 with the Dolphin remote.
This is obviously a personal choice, either you like to listen to music , while you soak or you don't. My point is, if you do want to listen to music...this is the way to have the best sound quality when the jets are on. I think that for many people the music aspect is part of the whole spa experience. Relaxing with a nice drink, listening to your favorite sounds under a star filled night sky, or while the snow is falling....  Now that is what it's all about!!!  :)
If I remember Windsurfdog, you are on the East Coast (literally on the coast), so you have the advantage of listening to the sound of the ocean...most of us aren't that lucky, we are stuck with CD's! ;)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 04:42:25 pm »
No $h!t? Why not? Seems to me it would be easier to install during production. Well............. I guess I therefore rescind my statement.

Dr. Spa,
Factory does not install. Dealer does. Can not be ordered factory installed.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 04:51:27 pm »
It's made to put be together...set down gently....and not bounced accross the county in a tractor-trailer or in our case-- in a container shipped by rail.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 05:01:20 pm »
Makes sense to me. You know, I talked to a transducer manufacturer some years ago (they called me). They WERE going to send me some transducers to attach to one of our wooden hot tubs to test out. I seem to recall conversation about how tightly they had to be attached and in contact with the outside of the "vessel".

It's made to put be together...set down gently....and not bounced accross the county in a tractor-trailer or in our case-- in a container shipped by rail.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 05:14:13 pm »
Here's my $0.02 for those without a built in sound system ... buy a MP3 player and protect it in a plastic ziplock type sand bag and a set of water resistant headphones.

The best sound there is - perfect stereo and doesn't bother the neighbors and for the price $60 for the MP3 player and $30 for the headphones ... and don't forget the $0.50 for the ziplock!

They are perfect when I want to listen to music and soak, hey maybe I'll do that tonight!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 05:21:49 pm »
I guess Marquis has that transducer install down to an art then because in spite of all the bouncing...I still have fabulous sound ;).
Personally, myself,  I would rather have  a quiet soak and listen to the deer munching my garden.... :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 05:21:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42