What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Film on Hot tub Surface  (Read 6083 times)

georgiapeach

Film on Hot tub Surface
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:11:12 pm »
Hey All!

I was just wondering if someone can give me some advice.  I've been adding Calcium Hardness Increaser to my Grandee lately...I go about 1-2 times a month to get my water checked and everything is fine except that.  Seems like I always have add a 1/4 cup of this stuff.  Anyway, I've noticed I have a gritty feeling on the shell.  And it doesn't look really good with the Pearl color...   :(  When I did a drain/refill last month, I tried cleaning it, but it's pretty stubborn!  Any suggestions on what I could use for my next drain/refill?  

Thanks!
Peachy

Hot Tub Forum

Film on Hot tub Surface
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:11:12 pm »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Film on Hot tub Surface
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 01:15:59 pm »
Someone here suggested the magic eraser.  I tried it and it works awesome. That's what I'm using from now on.

What does your hardness mesaure?

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 01:25:56 pm »
It sounds like your hardness is WAY TOO HIGH and who ever is testing it is mistaken.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

georgiapeach

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 01:38:21 pm »
Someone here suggested the magic eraser.  I tried it and it works awesome. That's what I'm using from now on.

What does your hardness mesaure?

I tried that and it didn't work.... :-(

I'd have to check the last sheet they gave me.  I'm going back there on Friday to get another test done.  I'll let ya know what the last test read when I get home.

Peachy

georgiapeach

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 01:43:14 pm »
It sounds like your hardness is WAY TOO HIGH and who ever is testing it is mistaken.

Really????  Hhmmmm....I take to a local Pool and Spa place and have that machine that does the testing.....It's like everytime I take it, all levels are good except that one.  And now I've messed up my tub because of it... :-(  I just don't want to have the same problem I had several months back with the motor having so much corrosion built up on it that it had to be replace.  

Peachy

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 02:16:10 pm »
I really don't mean to offend anyone, but has the "machine" been calibrated, ever? Are the test solutions they're using fresh? Have those that are operating it graduated from high school yet?

Realistically the ONLY time you should need to adjust your hardness level is once, when you change the water. Evaporation will NOT lower hardness levels. Water lost to splashing and what's carried out on you will, but this should be quite minimal. It sounds suspicious that every time you get your water tested they tell you to add the exact same amount.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 02:22:04 pm »
Do the test yourself, screw the dealer.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 02:24:06 pm »
Maybe there is a big markup on calcium hardness?

georgiapeach

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 03:01:56 pm »
I really don't mean to offend anyone, but has the "machine" been calibrated, ever? Are the test solutions they're using fresh? Have those that are operating it graduated from high school yet?

Realistically the ONLY time you should need to adjust your hardness level is once, when you change the water. Evaporation will NOT lower hardness levels. Water lost to splashing and what's carried out on you will, but this should be quite minimal. It sounds suspicious that every time you get your water tested they tell you to add the exact same amount.

You have a point Dr. Spa.  When I get home, I'll check the last couple of readings they gave me and send them.  It is odd that every time I go, that's what they tell me to do.  
thanks!

Peachy

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 04:34:37 pm »
A gritty or sandpaper feel on the shell generally indicates calcium has precipitated out of the water onto the spa surfaces.  If it is on the shell, it is also on the inside of the plumbing, pumps, etc.  Calcium precipitation is usually caused by high pH.  Chas has posted a fix for this in the past of lowering your pH to about 6.8 to draw the calcium back into the water because it is near impossible to remove it from the shell surface let alone the insides of the plumbing.  Your sitiuation may be a little different because of adding calcium increaser, but the symptoms sure sound the same.

georgiapeach

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 04:49:50 pm »
Okay....last time I had the water checked was on 1 Aug....results were: (Using Alex, by BioGuard)

Total Chlorine:  Current: 2        Ideal:  3-5
Free Chlorine:   Current: 2        Ideal:  3-5
pH:                  Current:  7.5     Ideal:  7.4-7.6
Total Alk:         Current:  175
Adjusted TA:    Current:  145     Ideal:  125-150
Total Hardness  Current:  35      Ideal:  150-300

Recommendation:  Your total hardness is low....add 1/2 Cup SpaGuard Calcium Hardness Increaser.  

The time before when I took the water (7 Jul) the readings were:

Total Chlorine:  5
Free Chlorine:  5
pH:  7.2
Total Alk:  119
Adjusted TA:  96
Total Hardness:  47

Recommendation:  Add 1/4 C. of Total Hardness.

If I'm understanding here, I shouldn't be adding that Calcium Hardness Increaser everytime they tell me to?  

Thanks for all your comments!  Always appreciated and I know if I come here and ask, I'll always get the answer, whether is something I want to hear or not...LOL

Peachy

georgiapeach

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 04:50:58 pm »
A gritty or sandpaper feel on the shell generally indicates calcium has precipitated out of the water onto the spa surfaces.  If it is on the shell, it is also on the inside of the plumbing, pumps, etc.  Calcium precipitation is usually caused by high pH.  Chas has posted a fix for this in the past of lowering your pH to about 6.8 to draw the calcium back into the water because it is near impossible to remove it from the shell surface let alone the insides of the plumbing.  Your sitiuation may be a little different because of adding calcium increaser, but the symptoms sure sound the same.

Ouch.....here is one of the answers I didn't want to hear....LOL.  "Near impossible to remove it from the shell"....  :(

Thanks for the comments Tony... :-)

Peachy

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 07:46:16 pm »
After you balance the spa from that first test, take right down there the next day. If it calls for the same dose, you may be doing the dealer a favor by bringing it to their attention. We calibrate weekly, however we're not perfect. I've come in at 6am and fired up the lab computer and the first prompt says.....last calibrated 20 days ago..... >:(
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 09:23:29 pm »
I was just curious if that gritty feel in your pearl tub is only near the surface of the water or (if you removed a few inches of water) is the gritty feel further down the wall's water line?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:05:01 pm »
This is a perfect example of why NOT trusting someone else to test your water. I know most dealers will say have a dealer test the water but owners really need to know how to test and treat their own water .

Calibration and testing procedures can be totally off ... and I agree with Dr Spa that probably the calibration of the section that measures hardness is off of cal or "broken".

Calcium increaser only needs to be added once unless you do a partial water change.

And Chas has given this advice either here or at Doc's site.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:05:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42