What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Down East Spas - Exeter SE  (Read 9924 times)

cwgarfield

Down East Spas - Exeter SE
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:23:57 pm »
Just put a deposit on this tub. Any opinions or problems with Master Spas?

Hot Tub Forum

Down East Spas - Exeter SE
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:23:57 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: Down East Spas - Exeter SE
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:29:47 pm »
While I was away from the nest, I worked for a pool\spa place who sold master spa.  The owner of the pool/spa place had some disagreements with them and dropped 'em. Otherwise, it was a good spa.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

bwbski22

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 10:07:43 pm »
my best friend bought a down east spa at a "home Show" and it was supposedly sold to him at 50 percent of retail.  well both diverter valves broke within a year and many jets were broken.  the controls were second notch in my opoion.  i would take a look at what else you can get.  i think its a cheaply made spa, with no dealer support.  

morecowbell

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 01:10:37 pm »
Unfortunately the home show / traveling circus act is not the best place to by a spa.
I sell the Master Downeast line. We've had them for 10 years.
I think the spa is a great value in the $6500 price range.
Be clear with your dealer on warranty. That spa can be purchased with either a 2 or 5 year parts and labor program.
ANY issues such as a diverter valve or anything else mechanical, would be covered for that period of time. Even if it costs a little extra (typically $300) the 5 year warranty makes all your service concerns go away.
I sell them in the Philadelphia area.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Haynes

• 2005 Down East Cape Cod/ Monongahela, PA
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 07:48:33 pm »
I have a Downeast spa for the past 15 months.  No problems at all with the tub itself.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 08:51:37 am »
I own a MasterSpas LSX and can vouch for the quality and reliability of the line.  No problems save for 2 spinner jets replaced under warranty...otherwise, perfect after 2+ years.  As far as the comment made that the controls are "second notch", Balboa makes the controller for MS and Balboa and Gecko are the 2 leading manufacturers of spa controllers...make your own conclusions.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 09:05:17 am »
I have a friend who bought this same tub. We were shopping at the same time and she jumped on this tub at a show. The only thing that I would caution you about is to be sure to wet test. They didn't and since she is about 5' and her hubby is over 6', she claims she doesn't have a seat that fits her. He loves the tub and they have had no problems at all.  Good luck!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 09:51:10 am »
Just to be brief.  I see three things to think about. 1.  They mislead you a little on the jet count.  The have two Master Blasters (which if plumbed properly are great by the way!) that have a 15 hole plate placed over the jet back.  This is actually just ONE jet not 15.  They use this jet to falsely increase their jet count.  So if they have two Master Blasters they are actually increasing jet count by 28 jets.  Many people use a variation of this jet (usually with 14 holes, Master gets it made with one extra just for them to use the name) but do not add it to their total jet count.  2.  The reverse molded deep seat is questionable for anyone 5' 10" + or a tall torso.  You tend to float up a little when in a hot tub and the mold digs into your shoulder if your tall or average height for a man.  I would check this in wet test to verify what I have found.  3.  The corner filter takes away from what would normally be a very comfortable seat.  The corner seats tend to be the most comfortable.  If you want 4 adults with 8 legs to fit nicely you might be a little tight.  But many spas are designed like this.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 10:16:33 am »
They mislead you a little on the jet count.  The have two Master Blasters (which if plumbed properly are great by the way!) that have a 15 hole plate placed over the jet back.  This is actually just ONE jet not 15.  They use this jet to falsely increase their jet count.  So if they have two Master Blasters they are actually increasing jet count by 28 jets.  Many people use a variation of this jet (usually with 14 holes, Master gets it made with one extra just for them to use the name) but do not add it to their total jet count.
Mislead?  That's a pretty strong accusation when considering all the facts.  Indeed each Blaster is plumbed with only one pipe but, when considering that the entire force of one motor can be diverted to the two MasterBlasters, it is a little easier to see their claim.  And the therapy that is felt is excellent.  This is just plain ol' advertising.  For the record, as a consumer, I didn't feel like I was being mislead at all...I even pointed it out to my dealer and we chuckled together.  Anyway, it's not about the jet count or the number or power of pumps...it's the therapy that counts...and that's why a wet test is so important.

The reverse molded deep seat is questionable for anyone 5' 10" + or a tall torso.  You tend to float up a little when in a hot tub and the mold digs into your shoulder if your tall or average height for a man.  I would check this in wet test to verify what I have found.

My LSX has this seat and I haven't observed the phenomenon you describe.  I fit comfortably under the shoulder jets (and they are great!) when sliding my bottom all the way back but I find that I enjoy the seat even more when I slide my bottom to the edge of the seat and stretch my legs to the MasterBlaster jet.  No problems floating at all for me...5'11", 185 lbs.  Once again, a wet test, as you say, is paramount.

The corner filter takes away from what would normally be a very comfortable seat.  The corner seats tend to be the most comfortable.  If you want 4 adults with 8 legs to fit nicely you might be a little tight.  But many spas are designed like this.

Since the Exeter has a lounge, it is perfectly logical to have the filter in the corner at the end of the lounge.  Many, if not most, spas that have a lounge use this for the filter location.  My LSX is the same and it is no problem whatsoever.  Now if the Exeter did not have a lounge yet did have the filter in the corner, I would agree.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:38:41 am »
You made my point.  You mentioned it to the dealer and you both chuckled realizing it was BS.  I mentioned that the jets if properly plumbed are great.  Maybe I should have mentioned that when comparing non reverse molded neck therapy jets to the reverse molded that I found it too be more comfortable, but that's why I mentioned wet testing for verification.

That corner could be used for a comfortable cool off seat instead of a filter area.  Just a suggestion.  I know you probably wouldn't want someones feet in your lap.  But you simply have more comfortable seats to enjoy when it's just one or two...which is 99% of the time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 10:38:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42