What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Tech Help  (Read 3342 times)

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Need Tech Help
« on: August 11, 2006, 05:03:01 am »
I have a customer who has a Balboa Value 3 Control in a Great Lakes Spa. Just like mine actualy, its 5-6 years old. It is programmed to cycle twice a day for 2 hours but........it seems to start a cycle (the air blower cycles for 30 seconds at the beginning of every cycle) and run for about 20 minutes-1/2 hour, and then reset itself and start over, flash through a sequence of incoherant numbers and then run to completion. When it does this it also sets the temp back to 100 which is the default on these controls. Anybody seen this before or know of an erasure trick on the control board or something? Give me some magic guys.
Retired

Hot Tub Forum

Need Tech Help
« on: August 11, 2006, 05:03:01 am »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Need Tech Help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 09:03:08 am »
I'm no techie, but.....resetting like that, doesn't that usually signify a short somewhere, meaning time to replace parts?
RIP C-Rod

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 11:13:07 am »
I have a customer who has a Balboa Value 3 Control in a Great Lakes Spa. Just like mine actualy, its 5-6 years old. It is programmed to cycle twice a day for 2 hours but........it seems to start a cycle (the air blower cycles for 30 seconds at the beginning of every cycle) and run for about 20 minutes-1/2 hour, and then reset itself and start over, flash through a sequence of incoherant numbers and then run to completion. When it does this it also sets the temp back to 100 which is the default on these controls. Anybody seen this before or know of an erasure trick on the control board or something? Give me some magic guys.

FWIW, I ran into a similar issue once and found it to simply be interference from the UV ozonator. I moved the ozonator as far away as the cord would allow and the problem went away. To confirm it, I moved it back, right next to the control box and it caused interfernece resulting in the box resetting itself.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 06:37:27 am »
I took apart the control box ,blew off the board used an erasure on all the connections, checked all the connections found no loose wires or burned spots or obvious imperfections on the board or any of the wireing. I tested the output on all connections and the draw on the pump, heater, blower, light control pad and ozonator. It went away after a 15 minute reset but came back after a day or so. It seems to be running twice a day but it is still reseting itself on every filter cycle.

It DOES HAVE A UV OZONATOR and it IS sitting RIGHT NEXT to the control box and it is a HIGH OUTPUT.....NEW so I will try that when I go back there. It it does turn out to be that, I am going to have to come up with some big ole ugly non understandable explanation for the customer.
Retired

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 04:58:11 am »
It is possible that the actual wiring to the Ozonator is starting to go bad.  I have seen it many times in electronics

As far as excuses -

1.  Replaced the dilithium crystals

2.  Your tub was a quart low on electrons

3.  Adjusted the thingamabob that oscillates the watchumacallit affecting the current through the dohickie

4  FM  - Friggin Magic

r100rs

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 06:14:09 am »
I think the first thing I'll do is unplug it for a week to either eliminate that as a culprit or identify it.

Come on I need more excuses/explanations. I installed the ozonator.
Retired

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 07:00:24 am »
Another possibility is that the factory programming (firmware) is no longer the correct programming, possibly due to a defective component (chip).

On the other hand...some component on the circuit board could have developed a thermal problem (sensitive to heat) causing it to go intermittently faulty.

....just some possibilities

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 05:10:06 am »
Another possibility is that the factory programming (firmware) is no longer the correct programming, possibly due to a defective component (chip).

On the other hand...some component on the circuit board could have developed a thermal problem (sensitive to heat) causing it to go intermittently faulty.

Ok Mark but what are my options for solutions? I have disconnected the O3 generator and it still has a problem.
Retired

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 04:57:28 am »

Ok Mark but what are my options for solutions? I have disconnected the O3 generator and it still has a problem.
Retired

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:56:08 pm »
Tman,

It does sound like the board or it's software is bad. Probably the only thing to do is get a new board. Expensive repair yes but unless there is a way to erase the eprom (if there is one) and reflash it - it can't be repaired.

I have actually talked to Balboa in the past trying to help a friend out and they have great technical assistance. Give them a call and maybe they can help further or give you a part number to order just the software.

Sometimes it comes down to this...

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 06:32:43 pm »
First of all, don't use an eraser to clean contacts, use a green scrub pad.
Don't use contact cleaner unless you know for sure that it is plactic safe.
An MOV (Metal Oxide Varisor) across the motor leads might help or right at the input, 250V component.
Check for bubbled capacitors or cold solder joints.
May just be a bad board

Steve

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 09:58:47 pm »
There are a lot of possible causes on the circuit board. The problem is... most people wouldn't know how to fix it  anyway, unless they've had experience troubleshooting circuit boards at a component level.

if you're inclined:
The first thing I'd look at (if it is in fact the main control board) is for visual defects such as loose/charred wire connections, burnt components or board, bubbled capacitors (if you even know what these are). If the power supply has poor filtering on the DC voltages...then this could cause strange problems to occur also (which would be caused by leaky filter capacitors). I would then take the board out (unplug all A/C power),  and look at the back side of it for any possible cracked solder connections (that would be an easy fix).

If you had an identical spare board (unlikely),... you could just swap them out and see if that fixes your problem.

If there is anything wrong with the code (software program) then you are pretty much out of luck.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 12:10:57 am »
Check for low voltage. Since tubs draw high amperage loads, they can heat up a connection in some distant place - and that drops the voltage just enough to give a digital board fits.

It may have good voltage until the heater kicks in, or even until the heater has been on for a few minutes.

Check connections back at the circuit breaker.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 04:31:32 am »
Check for low voltage. Since tubs draw high amperage loads, they can heat up a connection in some distant place - and that drops the voltage just enough to give a digital board fits.

It may have good voltage until the heater kicks in, or even until the heater has been on for a few minutes.
Check connections back at the circuit breaker.

I have not gone back and checked all the connections on the breakers inside or at the GFCI dissconnect. I have checked them in the tub though. This was also suggested by someone else. The heater has been disconected during a filter start up and the problem has occured again.

It is a very intermitent problem. As of right now I was there wendsday and after a 1.5 hour reset, I restarted and it is now filtering normaly. There may be an issue with power spikes or something in the area but it is a problem that has been going on for a few months.

I still think it is a board problem but the side I can see there is no obvious visable problem. I am going to call Balboa, the board looks like an easy change out but at this tubs current age the customer will want to limp until it is non functioning or the heater goes and replace the whole pack I am sure. Which with my luck will be mid January!!

Thanks for all your help guys. I hate these kind of calls. Drug out for weeks with only an hour of billable time. 10 phone calls lots of hair falling out from head scratching, many funny looks on my face and chin scratching. It is on my way home from my other job but he has an ugly bumpy muddy driveway.
Retired

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 05:02:49 pm »
How about being honest to you customer!
tell him that you dont know tha actual cause yet.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2006, 05:02:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42