What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: STATE CODE????  (Read 1990 times)

dead men walking

STATE CODE????
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:07:30 pm »
I live in New York State and was told by a town building inspector that if the hot tub is not 4 feet tall I would have to have it fenced in. He is sending the section of the state code in the mail. I am thinking that he is miss understanding it any help would be great. :o :o

Hot Tub Forum

STATE CODE????
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:07:30 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: STATE CODE????
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 07:16:58 pm »
The Boca codes require any [glow]pool[/glow] to have a 4 foot high barrier between the water and a person. A spa is not a pool but the codes are up to the interpertation of the local official.

When I was planning my tub and deck project, a township engineer wanted me to have the tub setback to the pool setback from my house. LUCKILY the head person was there and instructed her that this wasn't a pool and doesn't have the same requirements.

My suggestion is to find out what year codes your township uses, go to the library and copy the codes and know them well. Politely ask to speak to the head Inspector or Engineer of your township and talk it over with him/her. There might be a misinterpertation of the codes and this can set it right, I have found my township to be pretty good at answering questions.

Good Luck!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:14:28 pm »
Hopefully your spa cover has some writing on the front face portion. Hopefully it refers to the ASTM Safety rating. If not, ask your inspector if an ASTM Safety rated cover is sufficient. I've had to supply several local town building offices with the sheet. And I've gotten to sell new covers to those who got new spas without a safety rated cover. ;D
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

green1320

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:12:21 pm »
In NY state I do not beleive they adhere strickly to the BOCA code but according to an inspector in NY it depends on the local ordinences set by the town. This is what I have been told when I researched about putting a tub at out lake cottage.
2006 Tiger River Caspian

loosenupspas

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:53:04 am »
The key here is the word portable spa.  Permit techs think in ground spa, similar to a swimming pool in terms of code restrictions.  The Florida State building code exempts portable spas.  YOu will still need to have locks on the covers, potentially a fence or a screen enclosure is what I don't know for sure.  You hot tub dealer should have some idea of the requirements for that area.  Good luck......Warmly Tom

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:53:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42