What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question on Aqua Check Strips?  (Read 1541 times)

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Question on Aqua Check Strips?
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:33:46 pm »
Have had our tub about 2 months now. (No prior experience).
Have been using Aqua Check strips to test and balance chems.
The strips check 3 levels: Free Chlorine, PH, and Alk.
Have been able to quite readly maintain the chem. levels in the proper range according to the test strips, but do have some questions:
1. How accurate are the strips in showing the levels as compared to other testing methods, i.e. the Taylor test kit?
2. Will need to replenish my strips soon, should I get the ones that test for more than the 3 levels, or just replenish what I have been using?
Our tub has an Ozonator w/ 24-7 circ. pump.
Our water so far has been great, very clear, etc., with no apparent problems.
Have been using Dichlor, MPS, and occasional Sea Kleer.
Our water source is very clear well water, but it may be a little on the "soft" side (Have not checked the hardness so far).
If I should be testing for more than 3 levels, what would those be, and will the Aqua test strips do the job?
TX
Orangepeel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 10:36:01 pm by ORANGEPEEL »

Hot Tub Forum

Question on Aqua Check Strips?
« on: August 24, 2006, 10:33:46 pm »

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
Re: Question on Aqua Check Strips?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:18:06 pm »
orangepeel,

Don't take this wrong, but as long as you are not remotely color blind, the Taylor kit will get you dead on with all of your levels.  I actually just bought a Tayor kit myself (have use dip strips for the past 2 years on my pool, and since buying our hot tub without any problems.)  Mainly wanted to try a Taylor kit based on the feedback from this forum.  Both methods will require you to match colors to determine exactly where your levels are at.  
Maybe over the long term the Taylor kit may be a little cheaper as the bottles are individually replaced ($2-3.50 per bottle) however, the kit was $46.00 (from Leslie's Pool Supply) and our local Watson's store sells the 4 way strips for $6.99 per 50, so I am not sure it is that much cheaper.  Testing via the Taylor method is definitely more time consuming as you have to fill the tube with water, add drops and then read vs. simply swirling the dip stick and comparing.
I am sure others will post responses as well, this is simply what I have found in the short time I have went to the Taylor method.  My game plan is to continue using the dip sticks on a daily basis, and will use the Taylor kit to fine tune on a weekly basis.

Jr

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Question on Aqua Check Strips?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 11:18:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42