What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance vs Artesian; newbie needs help  (Read 10401 times)

ctkathy

Sundance vs Artesian; newbie needs help
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:26:02 pm »
Any comments on . . .  

Artesian has 2 x 4 construction to support the tub.  Sundance only uses the insulating foam to support.

Artesian has a pump for each seat and can be individually controlled whereas Sundance does not.  

Filtration for Sundance seems simpler, but Artesian says they also have disposable filters that do not require monthly cleaning.

I have visited both dealers.  Not yet wet tested the Artesian Piper Glen but looking forward to doing so this Saturday.

Dealers:  Sundance dealer runs an immaculate facility that focuses on spas.  Artesian dealer seems mainly focused on fireplaces and indoor stoves with the spas on the outside deck, but they do have a large quantity.  Spas have water in them but are not heated and wet-test ready and one of the spas was really cloudy.  I know they do their own service and it 'sounded' good but why would they let their spas look like that?  

Hot Springs was ok, but not really as comfortable as the Sundance Maxxus  for my 6'4" husband.  Is there another brand that I should definitely look at for a tall man, very roomy and deep, best quality and looks plus will hold up and have good service in the Northeast?  And he thinks he really wants a lounger, but the swivel chair might also work.   I want to be sure I check out all possibilities.

Many thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance vs Artesian; newbie needs help
« on: August 17, 2006, 10:26:02 pm »

The_Bends

Re: Sundance vs Artesian; newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:35:19 pm »
Arctic Spas 'Klondiker', has two loungers, one built for a shorter (5-6') person, one built for a longer (6'+) person.  Plus all of the chairs face in one direction, perfect if you have a view.
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 10:38:34 pm »
Artesian all the way!! ;)

I thought I'd get that in before the Sundance people show up!!

Actually both spas are great according to their owners and dealers. I own an Artesian (not the Piper) but you have to be happy with the dealer as well.

Pick the tub and the dealer that you feel comfortable with. I have visited dealers that had cold water in the tubs and others where the water was not so nice. Personally it didn't give me a good feeling. Although it sounds like the dealer is going to accomodate you with a wet test.

As far as filteration - all major manufacturers clean water great, Artesian has a few filters but it really isn't a big thing. The only filter that gets pretty dirty is the circ pump filter. With disposable filters I guess you can rotate them through the different openings until they get to the point that they need to get thrown out.

Eitherr way you'll be happy.

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 11:13:50 pm »
Arctic Spas 'Klondiker', has two loungers, one built for a shorter (5-6') person, one built for a longer (6'+) person.

The Bullfrog 552 also has this feature, we have a 451 and we love it.
Bullfrog 451

ctkathy

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 11:31:12 pm »
Well, we don't have anyone as short as 5'6" in our house.  Two long loungers would be ideal, but I haven't seen that.  

hymbaw

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:58:07 am »
Artesian has 2 x 4 construction to support the tub.  Sundance only uses the insulating foam to support.

Complete LIE......Whoever told you this you should ignore anything they say.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 03:07:08 am »
:  Sundance dealer runs an immaculate facility that focuses on spas.  Artesian dealer seems mainly focused on fireplaces and indoor stoves with the spas on the outside deck, but they do have a large quantity.  Spas have water in them but are not heated and wet-test ready and one of the spas was really cloudy.  I know they do their own service and it 'sounded' good but why would they let their spas look like that?  

"Sundance dealer runs an immaculate facility that focuses on spas.  Artesian dealer seems mainly focused on fireplaces and indoor stoves with the spas on the outside deck, but they do have a large quantity.  Spas have water in them but are not heated and wet-test ready and one of the spas was really cloudy. "

I think you answered your own question. Sundance is the superior spa in this scenario. (let the hate begin)

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 08:15:03 am »
We have the Artesian Piper Glen and are THRILLED!!!!  We absolutely love the amount of power that it has.  We can't imagine not having the individual controls at each seat.  We are in it every night and at least twice a week or more we'll say to each other things like "This is the perfect spa."  or "This was a great decision!"  or "We're really spoiled with these individual controls"

We also went to a few places where the spas were not wet-test ready.  Didn't go anywhere that the water was cloudy, but you did say it was only in one spa, right?  Things do happen with the water from time to time.  Maybe a seasonal worker forgot that to put chemicals in that spa.  Maybe someone wet testing it had on tons of body lotion and their suit was full of detergent.  I would not worry since it was just the one tub.  Perhaps you can ask about it when you go back.  

While we were at our dealer wet testing, a few people came in to buy chemicals and they were raving about the dealer.  When you are there wet testing, check out the customers who come in.  Maybe you can ask a few of them how the dealer is.  My dealer gave me a few references.  These customers had the model I was interested in.  One of them was on his second one.....he had sold the first one with his home and they loved it so much that when they bought a spa for their next home, they bought the same spa.  

Good luck!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 09:45:31 am »
ctkathy, based upon your observations and my own over the years, I would go with the Sundance, hands down.  This is my unbiased opinion.

Good luck with whichever you choose. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Garyjr

• Let's SunDance!!
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 09:59:12 am »
ctkathy,

As the proud new owner of a SunDance Maxxus, rest assured that the Maxxus does indeed have a 2x4 wood construction all the way around the tub.  Not sure who told you they were only supported by the foam, but my 2006 has a frame all the way around it.  Also, the Maxxus has 5 pump motors in total (3 for the jets, 1 circ pump, and the air pump.)  
I can't speak to the Artesian as we did not wet test that brand, but I can tell you that in the little over a week we have owned our Maxxus, we absolutely love it.
Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Jr  

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 12:00:16 pm »
Based on what you've said, Sundance.

Also the "Sundance only uses foam for support" claim is a load of garbage.  I was going to recommend the Accolade, but if you want the lounger that's out.  But based on what you've said and what your Artesian dealer presented, definitely the Sundance.

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 03:45:13 pm »
Well, of course being a sundance lover, I must get my hand in this cookie jar! I sold against Artesian in California, and the spas are neat looking, and very powerful. I too found the water to be cold (odd for a dealership), and not great looking though. Anyway, back to the point.. The spas have more pumps than Sundance, having one pump per station on some models, which is nice, but will cost you more on the electric bill. I'd ask any Sundance owner, and I'm sure they'd tell you that their spa kicks butt in power.  :)

It sounds like your Artesian Salesperson is trying to talk down a spa he or she doesn't know very much about. It also sounds like your Sundance person isn't telling you the things they should be telling you in a Sundance presentation. I have always been quite fond of the Sundance Filtration (with the skimmer gate that floats), and all of the 880 series have the micron filter that you throw away, not spray out. Also, the framework is all 2x4's like everyone's saying.

If you're the "Maxxus" type of person, you're going to spend a lot of money either way, and it's worth wet testing both spas. That's the true test. One of the seats in either spa may just rock your world and make a "night and day" difference over the other spa, you never know.

In closing, my vote is definately for Sundance!  :D But, I'm a tad biased since I've been working with Sundance (and Jacuzzi) for 4 years, and everyone in my family owns a Sundance.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 07:26:28 pm »
In response to SpaGirlAZ therory of energy efficiency, I would like to say that one 3 HP pump running a seat will cost less than a whatever (probably greater than 3 ) HP pump running several seats? No doubt that the Maxxus has a lot of power but I think you need to be selling the Maxxus on it's benefits vs using "scare tactics" on the Artesian! :)

Also all major manufacturers are giving you clean water so Sundance don't have nothing on Artesian there either! My water is as clean and sparkling and hot ... that was a dealer thing hopefully you weren't infering that an Artesian spa can't keep water clean and hot! It's amazing what sales people will say!

Besides being neat looking and powerful, Artesian makes an outstanding tub and back it up with great customer service IMO. The dealer is the person that can make or break a manufacturer's reputation and the manufacturer needs to treat the customer correctly if they find a dud dealer.

I personally don't understand any dealer who sells spas and keeps their water yucky. I've seen 2 seperate dealers which was like that.

Their both good companies - let your wet test and confidence in the dealer be your guide.

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 07:45:24 pm »
Don't worry about the dealer. Let the wet test, features, and price make your decision. They are both quality manufacters so no worries there. Everyone on this forum rants about dealers being important. I couldn't disagree more. Funny how all of them just end up defending their brand.

I have an Artesian Gold series and I couldn't be happier, especially with the variable flow system, and very powerful jets. A very theraputic tub..

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:16 pm »
Don't worry about the dealer. Let the wet test, features, and price make your decision. They are both quality manufacters so no worries there. Everyone on this forum rants about dealers being important. I couldn't disagree more. Funny how all of them just end up defending their brand.

I have an Artesian Gold series and I couldn't be happier, especially with the variable flow system, and very powerful jets. A very theraputic tub..

There are or were some neutral dealers around - not every one of them who posts are obnoxious about their brand! ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42