What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OK Techies! Lets Talk Ozone!!!  (Read 7524 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: OK Techies! Lets Talk Ozone!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 10:20:15 pm »

Also, Vinny if you E mailed Del did you happen to ask them about providing proof of a ozone residual?

I didn't e-mail Del but I e-mailed Artesian about their GPM of their new 240 volt pump. I agree that those factors would be crucial to be effective with contact time making the off gassing more or less depending on the flow rate of the pump supplying the water.

I'm sure all manufacturers have "proof" but I would think it's all in house data.

Stuart, thanks for the info! Does Marquis use a contact chamber since they don't use a low flow circ pump?

As for any upgraded ozone system ... How much is it worth to not use a little more chlorine or have a tub that might not get cloudy in 6 days? I think my limit may be $200, anything else it's not worth it. I can shock the tub with chlorine before and after going away and hit it with some clarifier, rinse filter and I'm done. It'll cost me $1.50 in chems max.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 10:20:15 pm »

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 08:41:37 am »
Is having an Ozonator even worth it?
If you can keep your water clear and sanatized without it, why would you even want one?

I mean for the extra cost in electricity to run, and the potential damage to cover and headrests, it doesn't make sense to me.

I may just unplug mine.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 10:14:45 am »
Is having an Ozonator even worth it?
If you can keep your water clear and sanatized without it, why would you even want one?

I mean for the extra cost in electricity to run, and the potential damage to cover and headrests, it doesn't make sense to me.

I may just unplug mine.

I don't think the cost of electricy to run an ozone system is considerable, no?

however, many folks who don't have a quality unit feel the same way as you.

Me?  My system works like a charm.  The Freshawter III system runs 24/7 and I am told it's piped through a the correct leaght of tubing for mixing.   Bu t I agree, if you didn't purchase a quality unit, it's wasted money.  However, I have that the right system is amazing and well worth it.  

07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 10:36:45 am »
Thanks Drewster.
How do you know your system works like a charm?
Have you ever unplugged it to see if you notice a difference without it?

If it's on 24/7 I think you can figure out the electricity costs by taking amps x volts, which should equal watts. Then move the decimal over to figure out kilowatts. Once you know the kilowatts use that along with your kwh cost to figure how much per month the ozone unit is costing you to run.
It may be something like $5-6

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 10:55:08 am »
Thanks Drewster.

If it's on 24/7 I think you can figure out the electricity costs by taking amps x volts, which should equal watts. Then move the decimal over to figure out kilowatts. Once you know the kilowatts use that along with your kwh cost to figure how much per month the ozone unit is costing you to run.

Youre welcome.

I know it works because I use it.  I have great water quality, and use minimum sanitizer. In fact, in several posts throughout this forum, I've discussed it.  In fact I think my statements on how much success I have been seeing with it may be one of the reasons Vinny is attempting to take a second look at Ozone units, and why some work and some don't .  

But yup, granted,  It's only my expereince and I'm only one person, but there have been many others that have found a properly installed and quality ozone unit is a great addition to a hot tub. My friend Spatech who I've argued with about N2, can back this up.  

I've used Bromine, Dichlor, N2 and ozone. I prefer Dichlor and the Freshwater 3 ozinator.

And yes, I've turned it off and have seen dramatic resulst.  

The costs for me are well worth it.  The FWIII systems sanitizes my tub when I don't use it, go on vacation, or slip in my routine maitinece. I highly recoemed it.

But, yea, if you don't have a quality  unit that's not doing it's job, I agree,  you are probably better off spending the $5 on some dichlor.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:00:53 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 11:02:34 am »
Interesting...

Please post results with no ozone system running.

How long did you leave it unplugged?
What water quality issues did you experience?
Did you find you had to use more chemicals without ozone?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 11:07:47 am »
Thanks Drewster.

Youre welcome.

I know it works because I use it.  I have great water quality, and use minimum sanitizer. In fact, in several posts throughout this forum, I've discussed it.  In fact I think my statements on how much success I have been seeing with it may be one of the reasons Vinny is attempting to take a second look at Ozone units, and why some work and some don't .  

But yupo, granted,  It's only my expereince and I'm only one person, but there have been many others that have found a properly installed and quality ozone unit is a great addition to a hot tub. My friend Spatech who I've argued with about N2, can back this up.  

I've used Bromine, Dichlor, N2 and ozone. I prefer Dichlor and the Freshwater 3 ozinator.

And yes, I've turned it off and have seen dramatic resulst.  

The costs for me are well worth it.  The FWIII systems sanitizes my tub when I don't use it, go on vacation, or slip in my routine maitinece. I highly recoemed it.

But, yea, if you don't have a quality  unit that's not doing it's job, I agree,  you are probably better off spending the $5 on some dichlor.

Drewstar knows it works because he's used it and seen a difference. Your mileage may vary but those who've experienced a good ozone system have their results to bank on. You may ask how he can qualify that opinion but there is no hard data, you just use it and see how it works and if you're really inquisitive you may even not use it/turn it off for awhile and see if there is a difference (similar to how many of us determine whether the N2 cartridge works for us). What are these "dramatic resulst" he speaks of, well you have to be there but it's basically clearer/cleaner water and a need for less sanitizer (at least that's what I see). And I certainly agree, just having an ozone unit isn't all you're looking for, you want a good quality unit on a spa with a proper mixing chamber.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:13:50 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 11:08:51 am »
It was turned off for about 2 days.  The water clarity went straight down the tubes. It was cloudy and hazy.

I base my snaitizer usage on what others report they use for a smilliar sized tub.   I use 1 teaspoon per person, per soak.  Most programs want you to dose even on off days. I do not.  Many users claim that they need to dose with dichlor ever few days or they expereince haze and cloudiness.  I do not. In fact many times I go for 4-6 days without opening my cover or adding a sanitizer. My water has always been great.

I know this may not be the most sceintific approach, but it's my expereince and I offer it for your consideration.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 11:10:00 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 11:26:30 am »
Wow I'm shocked the water quality went straight down the tubes in only two days!

Are you telling me the hot springs filtration system can't keep the water clear after only two days without Ozone?

Are you sure that by unplugging the ozone your tub is still filtering through the media?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to analyze your data. As vinny said in the subject line:

OK Techies! Lets talk Ozone

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 11:56:18 am »
Wow I'm shocked the water quality went straight down the tubes in only two days!

Are you telling me the hot springs filtration system can't keep the water clear after only two days without Ozone?

Are you sure that by unplugging the ozone your tub is still filtering through the media?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to analyze your data. As vinny said in the subject line:

OK Techies! Lets talk Ozone

I think you're a bit confused. I do not have a hotsprings tub. I have a Tiger River tub, (but both are made by Watkins, so I can see how you are a bit confused).  The Tiger River and Hotpsrings filtering method are significatly differerent.  As you may know, HS uses a no-bypass system and employs several filters.  The Tiger River filtration is more of a convential method with a 65 qaure foot pleated filter .  I hope that helps you. both do use the same 03 unit, but the filtration system is signifcantly different and a valid point in observing water quality.

I do not belive the ozinnator is in line with the filter, and the ozone being on or not does not effect the water flow through the filter media.  Maybe this is why you are confused? Are you confusing filtering for particulate matter confused with Ozone as an oxidizer and killing of bacteria?

I thnk you'll be hard pressed to "analyze" my data, since I haven't given you any, just anecdotal experience.  but hey, knck yourself out.

Once again, I'm sorry your artesian ozone system isn't working well for you.  And I'll step aside, and let all you "techies" really dive into the meaty data you provided. sorry for having gotten you off track.  Mei culpa.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:13:18 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2006, 01:05:00 pm »
I have to agree with Drew.  Even when I ran my circ / ozone for only 12 hours vs 24 hours, I see the difference even with the same Diclor and yes N2 regimen.  May have been partially to do with the filter, but I imagine that the O3 has somehting to do with it as well.

But more important, it is funny that Drew is an "ultimate member".  Quite the compliment!!   ;D

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2006, 01:21:17 pm »
I have yet to unplug my ozone to deterime it's value. I will do that and post results.

Maybe because I have a 24hr circ pump running I will see similar results as Vinny did.

Drew - How much filtering did your HS Caspian do in two days when you disabled your Ozonator?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2006, 01:40:00 pm »
I have yet to unplug my ozone to deterime it's value. I will do that and post results.

Maybe because I have a 24hr circ pump running I will see similar results as Vinny did.

Drew - How much filtering did your HS Caspian do in two days when you disabled your Ozonator?

You know, I think with that queston, you may have hit on somehting

My 03 wasn't disconected. It was placed into summer mode....redcuing the 03 and the circ pump and that's when the water went south. Hmmmmmm.

Still thought, it doesn't negate the results I'm seeing now with minimum use of a dichlor.

Hmmmm.  

The aretiesan: Is it a  CD or UV ozoninator?
Does the ozone run 24/7
What is your primary saniziter?
Do you run filter cycles with the main pumps, or like me have a circ pump?

07 Caldera Geneva

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2006, 01:50:56 pm »
My Artesian has a Del brand CD Ozonator.
My ozone runs a total of 4 hours a day. My circ pump runs 24/7(which I can't change)
I use dichlor and shock weekly with MPS. I also have an N2 stick.

I don't run filter cyles with the main pumps, my circ pump does the filtering and it does it 24/7.

I do notice my pumps come on for about 1 min twice a day @ 10am and 10pm. I think just to blow out the water in the lines though.

I don't have any water quality issues.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 02:11:24 pm »
why do you think your ozone isn't working..or rather why are thinkning on unpluging it?
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2006, 02:11:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42