What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa Chemicals  (Read 3457 times)

Spiderman

Spa Chemicals
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:53:53 pm »
What do I need to know/look for when buying replacement chemicals for my Hot Spring.  I bought a 4# and 5# container of MPS and Dichlor from the dealership when we bought our tub.  At 15% off it came to around $75 for the two containers which also included a good size bottle of stain and scale.  Are there better prices out there and/or what products will be the same or better than the Hot Spring chemicals?
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

Spa Chemicals
« on: August 21, 2006, 02:53:53 pm »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Re: Spa Chemicals
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:34:00 pm »
Go to Doc's website www.rhtubs.com.  You can also look in the yellow pages to see if you can find a chem store near you that has better prices.  I use a local merchant that handles Bio Guard, an excellent brand, but not cheap.

Regards,

Bill

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:20:31 pm »
Dichlor can be found at local big box places, in the pool section.  
I paid about $20 for a five pound container.  Just make sure you get the right stuff.  They also sell tri-chlor, and other stuff you might not want.

Cheapest dichlor I've seen was at the local Sam's club.  Something like $100 or so for a #75 pailful.  That's a lot of dichlor!

Brewman

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 04:57:33 pm »
There are plenty of places to buy it cheaply, but every time you buy somewhere else you're taking that much of a sale away from the place that is going to be the one to service and support you.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 07:38:57 pm »
 Spiderman,

Those prices are pretty good IMO. Doc definately has the best prices around and has great customer service but that cost is comparable (Sorry Doc!).

I would normally say buy from Doc but the difference in price is small, I have to agree with giraffeattheoasis. I have been lurking and posting on Doc's site for a long time and support him for all the great advice I get from his site! There really isn't any dealer close to me to buy from and my dealer is a little on the expensive side on chems or I would support her.

I haven't been able to find cheaper chems around me even at big box stores. The only exception is plain old baking soda - $0.79 for 2 lbs.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 07:46:53 pm »
No problem Vinny. I sell for as low as I can and still be able to remain in business...... and hopefully supersize my lunch. I've found that some places, for some reason, are getting better pricing than I on some things.....Which can make for better pricing from them..... By all means, support your local dealer (though, I have to say we do a LOT of technical support [not only is it FREE, but they call on my 800 number which means I pay for the phone charges]that is expected from the "local dealer", that is no longer around or doens't know the answer to, or whatever). A lot of our customers are like you, out in the middle of no where with no delaer close by. You know how them gas prices are going....................... OH! You know last week in Mexico gas was $2.20 a gallon? !
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 08:04:34 pm »
Doc,

The funny thing is I live in south central New Jersey and I have 2 dealers by me - one in my town. But the local dealer is crap IMO and well you do have great prices. My dealer is 45 min away one way although she will do phone orders but unfortunately her prices are a little steep. I do find things somewhat more expensive in the burbs than when I lived in NYC - I do think it's lack of competition.

I probably will buy filters and such from her to keep some communication going with her for those times when I need dealer help.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 11:25:47 pm »
I try to support my local dealer with chemicals. They are a little more money but I appreciate their service.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:47:58 am »
We do thank you for supporting your local dealer. Some of us work hard at it every day. We like to think our tech support is what it should be. We love hot water, it's a fun business.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:47:58 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42