What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Alk ideal but pH 8.0-8.4 ????  (Read 4706 times)

Han Solo

Alk ideal but pH 8.0-8.4 ????
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:51:41 pm »
As a new spa owner I'm trying to follow the directions to get my spa water as perfect as I can. I'm using the Leisure time test strips that came with the chemicals package and have got everything in the ideal range except the pH. For some reason the pH color is blurry and hard to read, but as close as I can tell it's between 8.0 to 8.4. How do I go about lowering the pH to it's ideal point without lowering my Alk. The chemicals that came with the spa has a pH/Alk up, and a pH/Alk down, so I'm concerned that if I use the pH/Alk down I will then mess up my Alk range. I was told to always adjust the Alk first, which I did, but now what should I do?

Hot Tub Forum

Alk ideal but pH 8.0-8.4 ????
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:51:41 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Alk ideal but pH 8.0-8.4 ????
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 03:52:14 pm »
What I've read what you can do is raise the alkalinity to a higher level with baking soda which has a PH of 8.4 and then lower the PH to the level you want ... the alkalinity will lower also but it will come into range.

Of course you can do what I do and forget about alkalinity and see how it goes with just adjusting PH with baking soda and if you find the PH bounces too much then worry about alkalinity. My water's alkalinity and PH rise and fall together but my water comes out of the tap with low alkalinity and a PH of about 6.8.

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 03:57:27 pm »
I think the reason most people on this board use a Taylor test kit, is because the test strips are tough to get a consistant reading.

Now to your question,

Because alk up also affects  ph,  I have found it easier to drop the ph to 6.8 wait about one hour and then raise the alkalinity back to the 100 range and then retest ph.

ph down can be purchased at any pool/ hot tub supply store
Bullfrog 451

Han Solo

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 02:25:21 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I think I will look into the Taylor test kit, as the test strips are not cutting it for me. I will test my water again today, and see if the pH has come down. Is it easier to just use the Bromine tablets?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 03:41:40 pm »
Everything gets easier with experience. What you're doing now would be the same with bromine except you would need to figure out the bromine dispenser settings if you used pucks.

Some people prefer bromine, the thing to find is what you like to use. Dichlor is very easy IMO and once you get to know what's going on in your tub it be comes automatic. Everything in the water affects what's going on in the tub ... once you get it down pat then another curve ball is thrown at you and it's a new learning experience. If your familiar with pool water chemistry, spa chemistry is about the same except I find that spa water is a little more fussy than a pool and I attribute that to the hot water and small volume of water ... but it is very easy once you figure it out!

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:05:25 pm »
First set your total alkalinity to about 150 ppm (note that is a bit higher than some would recommend).  Wait an hour or so, then set pH down with pH decreaser to about 7.6-7.8.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:05:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42