What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with Bromine  (Read 4422 times)

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
Help with Bromine
« on: August 19, 2006, 10:28:40 am »
Drained and re-filled my spa yesterday.   Got PH and ALK to measure correct.  Added Sodium Bromide and then my Bromine Flaoter (with 1 inch tablets).  A day later the spa is crystal clear and the PH and ALK measure correct. But I to not get a Bromine reading with my Taylor test kit or test strips.  What am I doing wrong?

Hot Tub Forum

Help with Bromine
« on: August 19, 2006, 10:28:40 am »

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
Re: Help with Bromine
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 10:44:55 am »
Your bromine might still be being burned by the organic matter in the new water.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 11:17:30 am »
Did you get a bromine reserve when you added the sodium bromide.  The key is to get a bromine reading (reserve) and then the tabs maintain.

Another thing you might do.  Add a shot of dichlor to jump start the sanitation process.  It is good for bromine users to keep a little dichlor around for those times when bromine levels reach zero or when the water gets cloudy.

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 01:03:54 pm »
Sodium bromide needs to be oxidized to turn into hypobromous acid( bromine)

Shock your tub and you will be fine
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 06:13:50 pm »
hymbaw is right.

I also put a few capfuls of "quick shot" bromine booster in at fill as well as once a month to keep a good reserve.

jgirvine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:18:51 pm »
hymbaw is right.

I also put a few capfuls of "quick shot" bromine booster in at fill as well as once a month to keep a good reserve.

I am using the Liesure Time products....what would be used for a "quick shot"?

THanks

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 06:45:00 pm »
The brand is Solus, and the product is called "quick shot."  I am not a chemist, but believe it is a compound that activates the bromine, like mps.  Whatever it is, it works very well for me and I hardly ever add bromine besides refilling the floater once a month.  I imagine the "bromine sucks, dichlor rocks" replies will be coming shortly, but I ain't switchin!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 06:45:56 pm by orlandoguy »

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 07:51:29 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for the help.  I shocked the tub with MPS and I am now getting a good Bromine reading.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 10:22:44 am »
Dichlor will work just as well as quick shot.  They are both doing the same thing.  Dichlor will both sanitize and shock with bromine and is readily available.

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 11:11:40 am »
Uhhh, you go first and I will follow you with THAT routine!  :-X

Curious, are you giving this advice based on personal experience?  If so, thank you.  The reason I ask is because I have been told on several occasions to make sure you completely drain your tub of bromine before introducing dichlor, due to the fact it will cloud up your water if not.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 11:27:47 am by orlandoguy »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 01:19:48 pm »
Uhhh, you go first and I will follow you with THAT routine!  :-X

Curious, are you giving this advice based on personal experience?  If so, thank you.  The reason I ask is because I have been told on several occasions to make sure you completely drain your tub of bromine before introducing dichlor, due to the fact it will cloud up your water if not.

Absolutely wrong.  You certainly can add dichlor to a bromine tub.  Before MPS was popular, thats what was routinely used.  It is a good idea to add dichlor when your bromine level reaches zero or after a heavy bather load.  Use MPS for your weekly shock.

I think what you are referring to regarding bomine and dichlor is when you want to change a tub from bromine to chlorine.  Then you must completely drain.  Once a bromine tub, always a bromine tub.  If you add bromine to a chlorine tub, it becomes a bromine tub.  You can't change it back by not adding any more bromine and just adding chlorine because the chlorine is just going to keep reactivating the bromine.

Adding dichlor to a bromine tub will not cloud it up, but will clear it up.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 02:12:05 pm »
The reason I ask is because I have been told on several occasions to make sure you completely drain your tub of bromine before introducing dichlor, due to the fact it will cloud up your water if not.

You either misunderstood, or were given very bad, incorrect advise.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 02:12:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42