What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa base in Maine  (Read 5080 times)

Webini

Spa base in Maine
« on: August 12, 2006, 08:28:09 am »
Greetings from Maine!

I'm looking for some advice on an outdoor install of my soon to be delivered Jetsetter.  My deck will not support a spa and for various reasons I'm not looling to reinforce it.  So I need to place the spa on the ground next to the deck.

This actually will work very well from a functional and privacy standpoint.  My question is regarding a base.  Due to a quick delivery time and my work schedule I don't have a lot of time.  A concrete pad is out due to a spouse veto.

The dealer recommended 3/4" crushed rock.  OK, no problem.  I can dig out an 8' x 7' area, install 2" x 6" pressure treated walls, and fill with rock from Home Depot.  No problem so far except for my back.   :'(

How deep do I have to dig?  Keep in mind I am in Maine.  Is 6" enough?  Basically I want the bottom of the deck flush with the ground.

I'm a bit concerned with settling and then stress fractures.  Am I worried for nothing?

Any advice from dealers in a cold climate would be appreciated (sorry Terminator  ;)).  I want to start digging this weekend!

Hot Tub Forum

Spa base in Maine
« on: August 12, 2006, 08:28:09 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Spa base in Maine
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 03:44:41 pm »
I'm not a dealer, but I do live in the snowbelt.  
 People here have put their spas on pea rock, gravel, pavers, spa pads, concrete, decks, you name it.  Key is to get it level enough so that your spa is evenly supported.

I'd think that 6" would be adequate- and if you go with the size you say, you're going to need about a cubic yard of rock.  Pack it down really well and keep it as level as possible, and it should work ok.  Not ideal, but better than just putting it down on the ground.  I'd make sure that the spa was slightly above grade, just to keep it from sitting in water too much.

Our Home Depot's around here only sell small bags of decorative rock- does yours carry the bulk products?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:46:35 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Webini

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 05:23:21 pm »
I'm not a dealer, but I do live in the snowbelt.  
 People here have put their spas on pea rock, gravel, pavers, spa pads, concrete, decks, you name it.  Key is to get it level enough so that your spa is evenly supported.

I'd think that 6" would be adequate- and if you go with the size you say, you're going to need about a cubic yard of rock.  Pack it down really well and keep it as level as possible, and it should work ok.  Not ideal, but better than just putting it down on the ground.  I'd make sure that the spa was slightly above grade, just to keep it from sitting in water too much.

Our Home Depot's around here only sell small bags of decorative rock- does yours carry the bulk products?

Yeah, I can get a cubic yard of 3/4" rock at my Home Depot.

I just dug the 7'5" x 6' rectangle out of my lawn and am down about 4 to 6 inches.  That was NOT fun.  The only thing that helped was listening to the Red Sox pull out a victory in the 10th inning.

I'm going out tomorrow to get everything down to 6" and to put in the 2 x 6s.  Then I'm putting landscaping mesh on the bottom and starting the rock fill.

I could really use a soak right now.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:56:28 am by Webini »

Webini

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 05:24:25 pm »
Oh yeah, now I see to have a poison ivy rash on my left leg.  Must have been from hauling the sod and dirt into the woods.

:'(

nhskier

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 10:29:15 pm »
I'm over in New Hampshire and have used the exact same base setup for our tub - 4x6'es and 3/4" crush.  Our Beachcomber dealer recommended this method.  The tub was installed in May '06 and hasn't shifted at all.

We put the stone down a couple inches at a time and tamped it down after each 'layer' to get it better settled.

We weren't real thrilled about having the exposed wood frame - too easy to pick up a splinter in your foot.  So I bought 4x4 vinyl fence post sleeves at Home Depot, cut off one side, and placed that over the 4x6'es (before laying in the crush).  Looks clean, won't ever splinter, and no maintenance.

NHskier

Webini

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »
I'm over in New Hampshire and have used the exact same base setup for our tub - 4x6'es and 3/4" crush.  Our Beachcomber dealer recommended this method.  The tub was installed in May '06 and hasn't shifted at all.

We put the stone down a couple inches at a time and tamped it down after each 'layer' to get it better settled.

We weren't real thrilled about having the exposed wood frame - too easy to pick up a splinter in your foot.  So I bought 4x4 vinyl fence post sleeves at Home Depot, cut off one side, and placed that over the 4x6'es (before laying in the crush).  Looks clean, won't ever splinter, and no maintenance.

NHskier

Great idea, I like that!

Thanks for the input.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 09:00:26 am »
We built a similar box with gravel and dug about 8" deep (Tennessee).  I used 2x6 pressure treated wood to create my "box."  I placed some concrete pavers on top of the gravel.

Rather than re-post my pictures, search my previous posts for pictures.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Webini

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 11:00:19 am »
We built a similar box with gravel and dug about 8" deep (Tennessee).  I used 2x6 pressure treated wood to create my "box."  I placed some concrete pavers on top of the gravel.

I found the pictures, thank you.  Looks very nice!

I'm off to continue the digging.  My back is NOT happy this morning.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 03:12:37 pm »
Call/ look up----Mainely Tubs--- big Jim will have all the answers you need. There staff is superior.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »
Fascinating post Webini, glad you got some good input so far. You mention the thought of settling.  I would think this is a long term couple of season type of issue and with a tub the size of the jetsetter, corrections annualy or as needed until it finally settles shouldn't be as much of an effort as it would be with a larger tub.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Webini

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 06:08:07 pm »
Call/ look up----Mainely Tubs--- big Jim will have all the answers you need. There staff is superior.

I've talked to them, they agreed that the 3/4" stone would work fine.

The hole is dug and leveled at 7" and the 2x6s are nailed together and braced.  The box is even square!   ;D

Tomorrow night's task is to backfill behind and below the 2x6s and to arrange for the stone.

Thanks everyone!

Webini

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 06:09:16 pm »
Fascinating post Webini, glad you got some good input so far. You mention the thought of settling.  I would think this is a long term couple of season type of issue and with a tub the size of the jetsetter, corrections annualy or as needed until it finally settles shouldn't be as much of an effort as it would be with a larger tub.

I hope so, I'm sure it will be fine.  I'll keep an eye on it.

Webini

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 09:11:36 pm »

Are the pavers mandatory?  My dealer did not mention pavers.  I would think that getting the pavers level and packed down would be a bit of a pain.

Webini

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2006, 12:03:12 pm »

Are the pavers mandatory?  My dealer did not mention pavers.  I would think that getting the pavers level and packed down would be a bit of a pain.

Anybody?

nhskier

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 10:59:06 pm »
We didn't use anything other than the 3/4" crush as our dealer said that was quite sufficient.

NHskier

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 10:59:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42