What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Researching HotSpring and Highlife  (Read 2161 times)

garyj

Researching HotSpring and Highlife
« on: August 19, 2006, 12:53:42 pm »
I'm trying to compare the Highlife Costco spa with the HotSpring Sovereign.

I really don't want to start a holy war. I've researched these forums and other online resources. My question is regarding the true differences between a HotSpring branded spa and the Highlife version sold at costco.

Outwardly they are very similar, and it seems they use they same components. If this is true, then the price difference would essentially come down to options. Is this correct? So if one is happy with the only option at costco, then maybe that's a good way to go. If the buyer want's other colors or bells and whistles then buying a hotspring from a dealer is the thing to do. Would you say this is a fair assessment?

I don't mind paying for something of good quality, and I tend to like to buy things that are well built. And I do see minor differences in the technical specs, but I'm not savvy enough to know, for instance, the practical difference between a "90 sq. ft. top loading filter" vs. a "120 sq. ft. top loading filter"

A few other questions that come to mind:

- Service and support. Is this another difference? Does buying a Hotspring from a dealer mean that if something goes wrong we can get service more easily? I know that often that's the case, but it's also possible for things to swing the other way. With such deep pockets sometimes the large chains can actually offer satisfactory service. Does anybody have any real-world experience?

- Does anybody know if the EverFresh option is available on the Highlife?

- On the Costco site, it lists that the 115V is "convertable to 230V..." Is this any difference from the 230V system listed by HotSpring? i.e. is the 'conversion' something different from standard 230V option?

- I've seen posts regarding buying an actual HotSpring spa from Costco. I don't see this the site. Is this something you need to go and request in person?

In the end, my decision may hinge more on my general dislike for large retailers like Costco and their impact on local economies.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer. Just trying to gather enough information to make a good decision.

gary

Hot Tub Forum

Researching HotSpring and Highlife
« on: August 19, 2006, 12:53:42 pm »

clover

Re: Researching HotSpring and Highlife
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 01:18:17 pm »
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1145913124

This thread has the answers to all of your questions.  

They are both made by the same manufacturer, with the same quality materials, with full satisfaction guarantees.  This thread details any and all of the differences.  They are both the same good quality choices, manufactured and serviced by the same quality manufacturer, the same quality dealers.  You will be dealing with all of the same quality people.  So it appears to simply come down to price.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 01:19:50 pm by clover »
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:33:56 pm »
Warranty is considerably less, 5yr.surface/structure-1yr.no leak/parts/labor opposed to 7yr/5yr.
No where is the spa labeled as a Hot Spring Spa.
3 filters(30sq.ft) opposed to 4 filters.
Choose curbside or backyard delivery (backyard costs more- paid directly to delivering service company).
Watkins Dealers DO NOT HAVE TO PARTICIPATE (we are however).
220v Hot Spring Sovereign is 220v only. It comes with the subpanel. It utilizes a larger jet pump, ie. stronger jets with more on at the same time.
Freshwater 3 ozone pre-installed.
That's the basics.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 02:13:29 pm »
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1145913124

Clover and hottubpoolboy have offered some excellent help.  I just wanted to make the above link active for you.  Good information contained within the thread if you ignore the doom and gloom posts.

Saturday is a bad day to ask questions here as most people are out having fun and the folks (like me) that are working are really busy.

Good luck with your research! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

garyj

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 05:00:57 pm »
Thanks everybody for the replies. Yeah, that thread quickly got pretty ridiculous. People get surprisingly passionate about this topic.

I'll likely end up going with the HotSpring, though I will ask my local dealer whether they will service the Costco tub.

Hmm, I guess I need to consider Tiger River now too? :)

thanks again

gary

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 05:00:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42