What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Size of concrete slab  (Read 15173 times)

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
Size of concrete slab
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:36:49 am »
I plan to pour a concrete slab to support the tub (ht size is 8.4 x 7.7), than continue to build a paver patio around the tub.  Do I build a slab to fit the exact hot tub size or add a  few inches?  

The wife's preference would be to see very little concrete.

Hot Tub Forum

Size of concrete slab
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:36:49 am »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Re: Size of concrete slab
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:49:50 am »
I would add a bit of concrete on one end to allow for steps.  At 8'4 by 7'7 I hope you have either a Grandee or a Vista...  ;)  You'll just want to do a little sketch of how your tub is laid out and determine where you want to put your steps.  I like having the steps on the concrete as well.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 12:30:10 pm »
As another note, most hot tub 'footprints' are actually referring to the size of the spa from the exterior of the shell.  If you pour the slab to the specs. on the spa, you should be okay.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:43:29 pm »
yeah...what he said. My tub is wider than the base.  It overhangs the base by about 3 inches all the way around.  

If you are adding a paver patio around the tub and want to hide the concrete (i don't blame you there) then I'd pour a smaller slab ( 7'6" x 7' or so).  I'd then put the pavers down to hide the slab (the pavers should be able to support the tub just fine).

giraffeattheoasis makes a good point about the steps....although a nice paver patio should work just fine for the steps too.

Then again, I've seen folks pour a large slab and cover it.  There were a few photos of a person that build a wooden "skirt" to hide the concrete slab.  Looked real nice (do a photo search of this site).
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 01:55:58 pm »
I just spoke to my contractor about the slab and he recommends against the slab.  He is telling me that his method of install pavers is stronger then a slab.  He basically installs the pavers over 4 inches of dry cement.  

I had this contractor install a paver driveway and patio using this method.  Do you see any reasons why I can't just install paver and set the tub on them?

Yes, i'm purchasing a Hot Spring Vista.

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:21:53 pm »
I did not go with a concrete slab.  I did the old 4"-6" of crushed gravel and concrete pavers.  I'm pleased with my foundation.

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:56:19 pm »
Tn_Hot_Tub,  do you live in a cold region?   I'm in NY just want to make sure nothing shifts based when the weather changes that could cause the tub problems.  

I've had my paver driveway and pation now for 5 years and there are no pavers that sunk or rised.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 05:46:23 pm »
The river rock and paver combination is an excellent idea.  If you ever decide to move (and hopefully take the hot tub with you), the new homeowner will be able to utilize the space for what they want to.  I've never been a fan of concrete slabs.  I sell the heck out of those Confer Handi-pads.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »
I'd continue what ever deck treatment the rest of the deck is. In other words, if it's pavers, run the paver under the spa. If you ever sell the house and the people don't want the spa, it's still all pavers. My cents.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 09:44:27 am »
Tn_Hot_Tub,  do you live in a cold region?   I'm in NY just want to make sure nothing shifts based when the weather changes that could cause the tub problems.  

I've had my paver driveway and pation now for 5 years and there are no pavers that sunk or rised.

I'm in East Tennessee, not really what you'd consider a cold region.  

You need to dig deep enough and remove the sod (i think most folks will agree on 4" to 6" regardless of the material used).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 09:44:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42