What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Types of ozone systems?  (Read 5015 times)

In Canada eh

Re: Types of ozone systems?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 05:49:52 pm »
What are the different types of ozone systems, how do they work differently and what are the benefits to each? (ie. UV, CD, chip replacement)?

Styx555,

If you do a search on ozone back to about the end of July,  there were a series of posts on this subject between myself,Vinny, Chas and The Vermonter and alot of others.  The info there should help you out, it got kinda technical but if you can get past that the info was great.  
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 05:49:52 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 06:30:21 pm »
Serj,

Did you know that Sundance high AND low output CD ozonators available?

You can get an inexpensive UV unit for around 99 bucks. If it last for a couple years and you have to get another, that is 200 bucks for 4 years 400 for 8. May not be such a bad idea. Just some randon thoughts.
Retired

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 08:02:43 pm »
Well....I have a different example to post.....this week we had a customer that could not get their water to maintain its normally sparkling personality ....I tried to help them trouble shoot over the phone and finally they asked about the ozone (smart of them) I told them how to check it and it was in fact not working ( only our 3rd unit in 2 years) ....anyway we put in a new one and the water came right back.....but this post also made me dig a little deeper into the debate about ozone and UV vs CD ......the R&D person I spoke with at great length really had a view very different than most posting here and that was in their in-depth studies that the UV type actually created more ozone and had less noise than the average CD unit.....but the UV did have its own flaws which were mainly the bulb coating itself with an oil like substance that the ballast produced ...so they went solid state unit and it has proven itself to be highly efficient and reliable ......He did say a unit that I would assume is more like the high output Arctic unit does put out more ozone but they felt it becomes cost prohibtive......
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 08:14:45 pm by Mendocino101 »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 09:00:56 pm »
Nitric acid burns, unfortunately, i had first hand knowledge 6-7 years ago. Last winter i stopped by a DEL Ozone both at one of the shows. I snickered at the UV unit, but the older gentleman took me to school over it. The current longevity of UV units is NOT what it used to be. Bulbs DON'T degrade as they used to. For years we used the BubbleGun UV Ozone from Heliotrope General. Now, we stick with CD units from Watkins or JED Engineering if it's a skinny deal. My cents. UV is worth a look.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 09:02:00 pm by hottub.pool_boy »
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 10:41:54 am »
this week we had a customer that could not get their water to maintain its normally sparkling personality ....I tried to help them trouble shoot over the phone and finally they asked about the ozone (smart of them) I told them how to check it and it was in fact not working ( only our 3rd unit in 2 years) ....anyway we put in a new one and the water came right back.....

I've seen this same scenario play out sooo many times which is why I know a good ozonator makes a very REAL difference in water management.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 10:42:09 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 04:29:11 pm »
I've seen this same scenario play out sooo many times which is why I know a good ozonator makes a very REAL difference in water management.

I would never be without one again, I have tryed it both ways. But I also only put it as a secondary supplement to a good sanitiation routine using a good/proven sanitation method (chlorine or bromine)
Retired

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 04:36:16 pm »

I would never be without one again, I have tryed it both ways. But I also only put it as a secondary supplement to a good sanitiation routine using a good/proven sanitation method (chlorine or bromine)

When you see the same pattern enough times it becomes pretty obvious.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 04:52:27 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 10:14:43 pm »

Yes to overstate is usefulness is wrong. It is a very useful tool in water management but in and of its-self it will not keep your water sanitized but within proper balance it an effective aid.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:43 pm »
If you have a spa with a CD Ozone system, just look at your owner's manual for information concerning the maintenance required.  Look in the Hot Springs manual.  They warn about the nitric acid build-up caused by the electrical fields of their CD unit and humidity.  They warn to wear protective gloves, clothing, and eyewear while performing this required maintenance.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 10:47:43 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42