What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Types of ozone systems?  (Read 5018 times)

Styx555

Types of ozone systems?
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:02:38 pm »
What are the different types of ozone systems, how do they work differently and what are the benefits to each? (ie. UV, CD, chip replacement)?

Hot Tub Forum

Types of ozone systems?
« on: August 15, 2006, 02:02:38 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Types of ozone systems?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:36 pm »
I don't belive any major tub manufactuer is still using the UV method.  CD units produce significantly more 03 than the bulb units.  So the UV-CD issue  may be moot.

I belive the major concerns with CD units are contact chambers some tubs do not have one) and running the unit 24/7/365. (It's my understanding some tubs do not have  a 24/7 ozone system

but i could be wrong....
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:42:41 pm »
CD ozone generators also react more vigorously with humidity, causing nitric acid to build up in the lines.  This can clog the lines as well at eat away at check valves in the line.  Depending on your situation, a UV may be better for you.

Styx555

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 02:45:48 pm »
I live in a very humid climate (summer months) and very cold with high winds (winter months). Would this imply that I should stay away from CD systems and look only at UV systems?

Also, what does CD stand for and how could you tell the difference?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 02:45:51 pm »
CD ozone generators also react more vigorously with humidity, causing nitric acid to build up in the lines.  This can clog the lines as well at eat away at check valves in the line.  Depending on your situation, a UV may be better for you.

Serj,

What manufacters still use UV? I thought D1 was the last and they switched to CD?
07 Caldera Geneva

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 02:48:03 pm »
I would hope no one is still using UV.. It's definately the more "old school" method. The bulbs burn out after approx 18 months and are about $80ish to replace. At least that's how much I'd sell em for at my old store. Drewstar is right, the newer CD (Corona Discharge) type produce something like 3x more ozone. But, there are different types of CD ozones. Some are made very cheaply, but are still better than the UV style.

SpaGirlAZ

• 2004 Sundance Marin
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 02:52:01 pm »
Better in my opinion, of course.. don't wanna tick anybody off.  :) I didn't know only CD ozones clogged check valves? Well, I suppose it's easier and more cost effective to replace check valves and hoses then UV bulbs.

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 02:53:37 pm »

Serj,

What manufacters still use UV? I thought D1 was the last and they switched to CD?

TBH, Im not sure if any spa manufacturer still makes UV ozones.  I would think that the ozone manufacturers would still make them.  Essentially, though, if you need to get a UV ozone because of humidity, I would suggest sticking to Nature 2.  Paying $300-$500 for a high powered ozone doesn't do you any good if it clogs the line and dies in a year or two.  And with the amount of help a UV is going to give you, you are better off with a Nature 2 system.

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:58:28 pm »
Better in my opinion, of course.. don't wanna tick anybody off.  :) I didn't know only CD ozones clogged check valves? Well, I suppose it's easier and more cost effective to replace check valves and hoses then UV bulbs.

CD ozones do it because they typically put out 10-20 times the amount of ozone as a UV ozone.  As a consumer, would you want to replace your check valves and hoses every few months?  I have some customers that do it and they don't mind, but I am sure the majority of customers don't want to do it.  And if you don't know about it, and let it go too long, the CD unit can be damaged.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 02:58:41 pm »
I live in a very humid climate (summer months) and very cold with high winds (winter months). Would this imply that I should stay away from CD systems and look only at UV systems?

Also, what does CD stand for and how could you tell the difference?

CD= Corona Discharge.  (This is also a term that we used this past weekend at the Jimmy Buffertt concert after a youthful college aged kid drank to many of the  sponsor's product). :)

UV= Ultra Violet

UV has bulbs (you can see a blue glow comming from the unit, if you open up the equipment panel).  Plus, your manual will say so.

No bulbs= CD unit.  
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 03:00:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 02:59:44 pm »

CD ozones do it because they typically put out 10-20 times the amount of ozone as a UV ozone.  As a consumer, would you want to replace your check valves and hoses every few months?  I have some customers that do it and they don't mind, but I am sure the majority of customers don't want to do it.  And if you don't know about it, and let it go too long, the CD unit can be damaged.  

What type of tubs do you sell that the CD unit needs maitence every few months?
07 Caldera Geneva

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 03:05:20 pm »
I work for a company that sells Sundance.  The issue is that the CD unit puts out so much ozone, it reacts with the humidity and forms nitric acid.  In some situations, that nitric acid can build up and clog the check valves.  It is not the actual CD ozone that needs maintenance, it is the line from the CD ozone to the venturi.

Styx555

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 03:16:47 pm »
Would I therefore be better off with no ozone system and just use chemicals instead?

SerjicalStrike

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »
I guess it depends on what kind of spa you are getting.  I do not know about any other manufacturers' ozone units, so I do not know how much ozone they actual output.  You could probably get away with a low output cd ozone.  

hymbaw

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 04:15:29 pm »
Serj,

Did you know that Sundance high AND low output CD ozonators available?
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 04:15:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42