What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Types of foam  (Read 2308 times)

Styx555

Types of foam
« on: August 15, 2006, 01:59:37 pm »
Can someone shed some light on the types of full foam available and the benefits to each?

Hot Tub Forum

Types of foam
« on: August 15, 2006, 01:59:37 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Types of foam
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:06:35 pm »
Some foams are denser than others. A denser foam will provide a higher R factor. I belive the density is measured in weight per cubic foot. Hotsprings uses a 2lb foam.

Closed cell versus open cell.  Closed cell foams can trap and retain the heat better than an open celled foamed.  Cells refer to the actual "partilcles" of foam.   Open celled foam is usally soft and spongelike.  Closed cell are denser, harder, and heavier.

You would want a high density closed cell foam for insulation over say, stryofoam.  ;)

If considering a full foamed tub, one that has the entire structure (except for the motor compartment fill completely with the foam.  This would be from the hot tub skirt (outter wall) to the shell of the tub. No gaps, no areas that have none.  

Some lower end tubs use a lighter foam, or do not completely fill the cavity with foam.  Tubs like this should be avoided.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:59:56 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Styx555

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:18:08 pm »
Does anyone know where I can see pictures showing the differences, so that when shopping I know what to look for?

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:59:57 pm »
just get it over with and buy a HotSpring or Tiger River. ;)  No seriously, I just did a google search, "full foam spas". Of course, the spa vampire's hot air site came up, but a bunch of others did too. Didn't look through them all, didn't see any pics. Buy a spa from the dealer who makes you feel the best. Gut instinct, follow it.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 04:05:25 pm »
I think the density of the foam is minimumly important in determining R-value.

The more important thing is open or closed cell. Not for heat retention :-? but because closed cells are just that. Closed. The can't absorb moisture. You dont wan't a sponge(open celled) under your cabinet.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:40:27 pm »
Some foams are denser than others. A denser foam will provide a higher R factor. I belive the density is measured in weight per cubic foot. Hotsprings uses a 2lb foam.

Actually, Hot Spring uses varying layers density foam.  They go from a 60 lb foam down to a 2 lb foam.  They also use all closed cell.  You must have closed cell or else you can get too much water absorption.  Some mfgs who are on the lower end will say they are full foam but use an open cell foam.  Be careful when looking at those.  Stick with brands like Hot Spring.  You know they used closed cell and do it correctly.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:40:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42