What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover open or closed for cleaning cycle  (Read 12595 times)

Spiderman

Cover open or closed for cleaning cycle
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:45 am »
I've been using MPS for daily sanitizer, but have switched to Dichlor now, after reading all the posts and then having cloudy water myself.  After a couple of days using Dichlor, my water is clear again.  My question is, after each use I put in a little more than 1 teaspoon of dichlor, then put the cover on and let it run for its 10 minute clean cycle.  With MPS it was OK to put the cover on for this.  The manual says something about a "super chlorination" and that at least half the cover has to be open to let the gases escape ect.  Is the super chlorination the same term for shocking or something else?   So, if I use dichlor for daily use, can I run the clean cycle with the cover on, or should I wait until after the cycle to close her up?
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Hot Tub Forum

Cover open or closed for cleaning cycle
« on: August 14, 2006, 12:28:45 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Cover open or closed for cleaning cycle
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 07:46:44 am »
I always run my pumps with cover open for about 15 minutes after I add my standard 2 tsp. dose of dichlor.  For shocking, I add about 2 tablespoons, and I let the cover stay open then, too.  I think that if you don't, the chlorine will attack the cover and any pillows and such.
 Some people refer to super chlorination as adding an extremely large amount of dichlor- way over what you'd even use to shock- for unusual circumstances like a bacterial invasion.
Does your manual give any amount guidelines when it refers to super chlorination?

I don't leave my cover open if I use MPS, since it's not supposed to cause off gassing like dichlor.

Brewman

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:52:25 am »
I use dichlor too.  For dosing after each use and running the clean cycle, I don't leave the cover open. I am told I should, but I don't. As far as water clarity and sanitation, I've had no problems.  The only issue is what are the long term effects on the cover and I can only report that after a year, I'm in good shape. I have had some lightening of the color on the underside of the cover, but I am led to belive that this is more an effect from the ozone system than the 1 teaspoon of dichlor I add for the clean cycle.

For "super chlorination" (shocking). I do leave the cover off, and run the pumps for about 45 mins. I typically shock with MPS, but on occasion do a super dichlor shock (2 tablespoons of dichlor).

Not sure if this post helps you, but FWIW, it's what Ido.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:41:20 am »
I usually leave the cover open after adding chlorine.  If I don't add any chemicals after soaking, I'll just hit the clean cycle and close the cover.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 10:46:56 am »
For normal, daily chlorine, cover closed is fine. For shocking or superclorinating, cover OFF. OFF, not half open. Half open will cause damage to the half of the cover facing the water. Trust me on this   ;) , there's still an old cover in my side yard to prove this point.

As for shocking with MPS....... I'd also leave the cover OFF for 20 minutes.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 12:30:22 pm »
What is "cleaning cycle"?  I have a J385.  Does cleaning cycle mean I just turn all the pumps on high speed for the normal 20 minute cycle?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 12:42:02 pm »
What is "cleaning cycle"?  I have a J385.  Does cleaning cycle mean I just turn all the pumps on high speed for the normal 20 minute cycle?

Some tubs, such as my Tiger river, and i believe the Hotsprings also, have a cleaning cycle feature.  When you're done using the tub, you toss in the dichlor and push the  Clean button and close it up. The pumps/jets will run for 10 minutes disolving and mixing the dichlor and then automaticly shut off.  It's a handy feature.  You never forget to turn off the pumps or have to hang around when you are done.

I save my old test strip bottles. Before I go out to the tub, I premeasure the amount of dichlor I'll need and take it out with me in the old test strip bottle.  The cover snaps tight, and it's water tight, so I just leave the bottle there on the filter well cover. When I'm all done I dump the dichlor, hit the "clean" feature and snap the tubs cover closed...bingo..I'm done for the night. I'ts great in the winter when its 2 degrees out side.    :)

Oh and thanks to Dr Spa and his hurricae strap,  I only have to snap/unsnap the front of the tub. No more trudging behind the tub through snow to snap/unsnap cover.   :)  Hey, when it's febuary in New England and you're outside naked, in freeezing snow, every second counts.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 12:57:12 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 05:07:51 pm »
 Hey, when it's febuary in New England and you're outside naked, in freeezing snow, every second counts.  ;)

A little too much information :o

With the Dr. Evil photo and rainy New england weather I just had a mental picture I really didn't want ;D ;D
Bullfrog 451

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:44:50 pm »
If you're running the clean cycle after normal use and you've added the chlorine. CLOSE THE COVER AND GO INSIDE. That's what they made the button for. So you don't have to back outside. sorry about yelling.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 12:14:23 am »
If you're running the clean cycle after normal use and you've added the chlorine. CLOSE THE COVER AND GO INSIDE. That's what they made the button for. So you don't have to back outside. sorry about yelling.

Is the ten minute cycle over kill? I sometimes let it go for about 5 minutes and then turn it off. It seems like enough time to me but I could be wrong. My electricity is over $.30/Kwh so I try to conserve.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 08:07:00 am »
Gombo,
You're o.k. with that. Good suggestion though. On the next round of dealer surveys I'm going to propose the idea of reducing the clean cycle to 5 minutes. We'll see what they say. Oh, I know the thinking behind it was it also works as a timed jet cycle. If you want to stay in for ten minutes, you don't have to wear a watch. But a good idea for lmiting energy consumption. $0.30 kwh-----Ouch! More changes coming too on fountain features.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 09:15:40 am »
Hey, when it's febuary in New England and you're outside naked, in freeezing snow, every second counts.  ;)

A little too much information :o

With the Dr. Evil photo and rainy New england weather I just had a mental picture I really didn't want ;D ;D

Sorry.  Sometimes I start typing and can't shut up.  ;)

07 Caldera Geneva

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 11:54:44 pm »
Gombo,
You're o.k. with that. Good suggestion though. On the next round of dealer surveys I'm going to propose the idea of reducing the clean cycle to 5 minutes. We'll see what they say. Oh, I know the thinking behind it was it also works as a timed jet cycle. If you want to stay in for ten minutes, you don't have to wear a watch. But a good idea for lmiting energy consumption. $0.30 kwh-----Ouch! More changes coming too on fountain features.

Tell us more about the Fountain features. I hope my system will not be obsolete next year.  :)
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

hottub.pool_boy

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 07:35:01 am »
Can't.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 07:35:01 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42