What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Full Foam filled or not in cold climate?  (Read 12538 times)

Styx555

Full Foam filled or not in cold climate?
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:50:00 am »
Any thoughts on going full foamed filled vs. air insullated in a cold climate. We have 4-5 warm months and the rest are cold and I intend to use the hottub year round. "I am considering both heating costs and repair costs to the 2 options.

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Full Foam filled or not in cold climate?
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:50:00 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Full Foam filled or not in cold climate?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:12:21 am »
This is a hotyl debated topic, and if you wander over to the "Dead horse" section of the forum you 'll find volumes of debate on this topic.

A quality full foamed tub (high density, closed cell, fully foamed) hot tub has been the standard for hot tub insulation  for years.  By all means it is great for insulation.  Lower end tubs with partial foaming or low quality open celled foam will cost you money.  But there is no dobut about it, quality full foamed tubs are excellent in cold weather.  The major drawback  that has been touted by the thermal camp has been cost to reapir for leaks. Well, the solution is simple; buy  a quality tub that's built right.  The glue issues and leaks that made  all hot tubs infamous for  leaks was years ago and is not an issue.

Thermally insualted tubs depend on the pump motors running and in extreme cold weather, there has only been one manufactuer; Artic, that owners here in this forum have consistentlysay works well for energy efficeniey ...and that is to say, they work just as good as full foamed. .  

Read through the dead horse section and I think youlll get an understanding of what's what.

I think if you stick with a  high quality brand tub,  220v electrical, have a good cover,  both types of technology can work well. However, dare I say, I belive full foam to be a simpler, superior insualtion method and was my succesuful choice when I researched the best insulation method for an outside tub in winter conditions.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:18:12 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:46:35 am »
Full foam... your wallet will thank you.

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:07:36 am »
there has only been one manufactuer; Artic, that owners here in this forum have consistentlysay works well for energy efficeniey

I can hear the Coleman fans feverishly typing their responses..........
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

The_Bends

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 11:15:12 am »

Thermally insualted tubs depend on the pump motors running and in extreme cold weather, there has only been one manufactuer; Artic, that owners here in this forum have consistentlysay works well for energy efficeniey ...

"The plaque for the alternates is in the lady's room...."  Iceman

"no, no, no, no, there are two o's in goose boys!" Mother Goose

8-)

Don't want to beat the dead horse, research, research, research!
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 12:25:01 am »
Wow, this thread is still alive?

FF all the way.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:26:12 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 01:41:18 am »
Full fizzle

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 04:58:19 am »
Both Arctic and Coleman are fine tubs, but not better than several other brands that use the FF method of insulation. Air is the worst insulator in the world. A warm pump that has to run to filter heating that air space is a great insulator but, if no filtering is required then the air space is cold. A repair in the foam on a FF tub is alot tougher than one on a non FF tub but, 99 percent of leaks on all brands are in the equipment area where insulation doesn't matter.

Find a comfortable brand from any of the major manufactorers that the fit dealer and price make you happy and don't worry about the pennys difference a month to operate. If your in a cold climate get a cover upgrade. Or its standered on an Arctic/.
Retired

hymbaw

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 11:31:40 am »
Air is the worst insulator in the world.

R-Value Table
Insulation Values For Selected Materials

Polyurethane (foamed-in-place) - 6.25/inch

Air Spaces - 1/2" to 4" approximately - 1.00

So the R-value for 4" of air is [glow]1[/glow] while the R-value for 4" of foam is [glow]25[/glow]!

If not the worst in the world, it definately is the worst of these two.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 12:00:57 pm »

T.P. Cooter sez:

"Full foam spaz is fer de ignurnt and uninformeded.  Natural air is de bestest insoolater, jus like in de Thermus bottles.  Dey is full o' hot air, jest like de thermal pain spaz."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 12:01:43 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 12:18:29 pm »

T.P. Cooter sez:

"Full foam spaz is fer de ignurnt and uninformeded.  Natural air is de bestest insoolater, jus like in de Thermus bottles.  Dey is full o' hot air, jest like de thermal pain spaz."

Silly ol cooter.   Thermos bottles are just the opposite.  THey have abosolutey no air in them,  and that;s what makes em better, because air en masse is a horrible insulator.

07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 01:53:23 pm »

Silly ol cooter.   Thermos bottles are just the opposite.  THey have abosolutey no air in them,  and that;s what makes em better, because air en masse is a horrible insulator.

T.P. Cooter retortz:

"Everbody know dat dubble pained winders is much more energy effishent because dey is full of natural air.  How you gonna refute dat, Mr. Sasssy Star???"

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 06:15:49 pm »
My windows are full of ARGON gas there Mr. Cooter sir....wrong again.
Retired

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 09:58:29 am »
Cooter you crazy monkey, brain destroyed by syphillus.  cousin chaser lovable ol nut!

Thermal windows are filled with gas (Argon, Krpyton, ect).  Not "air"

But that's a bad analogy anyhow, .  One of the critical features of a  window is to be able to see through it as well as be able to open and close.   If visablity, and weight were not an issue, they'd be stuffing foam insulation between those two panes of glass, like the rest of your house.   ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:00:06 am »

T.P. Cooter retortz:

"TT-man and drewpdrawers, ya'll mebbe thinkin' you's smarter than me simply cuz you are, but everbody know dat all de heet is flyin' up outta the cover cuz it rises.  Hell, why even put any insoolation on de sides!!!  Ya'll cain't esplain' dat, can ye!!!!!!"

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 11:00:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42