What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's best for cleaning new spa?  (Read 5006 times)

Han Solo

What's best for cleaning new spa?
« on: August 13, 2006, 03:31:17 pm »
I just got my new spa a few days ago and the electrician is due to finish the wiring tomorrow. I haven't put any water in it yet, but I sat in the tub last night for a picture, and noticed it didn't feel as smooth as I thought it would, as it kind of has a slight film on it. Now I'm wondering what's the best thing to use to clean it. I called the place this morning where I bought it and the guy told me to use Simple Green. He said to wipe it on with a rag, hose it off and bail the water out. My wife says no way, as she feels that adding Simple Green is just adding more chemicals and she's concerned we might not get all the Simple Green out. What do you fellow owners suggest?

Hot Tub Forum

What's best for cleaning new spa?
« on: August 13, 2006, 03:31:17 pm »

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
Re: What's best for cleaning new spa?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:40:14 pm »
1. do nothing, and just fill it when you're ready.
2. A little chlorine in water.
3. Off the shelf, spa surface cleaner.
4. We do not use simple green.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Han Solo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 03:59:10 pm »
1. do nothing, and just fill it when you're ready.
2. A little chlorine in water.
3. Off the shelf, spa surface cleaner.
4. We do not use simple green.
That's what my wife thought. I wanted to get some spa cleaner from the dealer where I bought it, but he was adamant about just using Simple Green. The film type feeling isn't really all that bad, but I thought it would be a great time to clean it (if it needed it) before I filled it. Thanks for the heads-up!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 04:18:17 pm »
Maybe you could just wipe the tub down with something like a mild bleach solution. I don't think I would used Simple Green either. Simple green is a great degreaser but it is so hard to wash completely off. You might create a huge bubble bath when you fill it. :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Han Solo

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 04:31:04 pm »
I'm surprised the dealer didn't try to sell me a bunch of cleaning products. At least I know he's not trying to sell me a bunch of stuff I don't need. What does everyone else use to clean their spas?

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 04:44:24 pm »
Tubclean thats marketed by Beachcomber, I believe it is citrus based.
Bullfrog 451

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 04:59:26 pm »
I think he probably realizes that your tub isn't really dirty, maybe just a little dusty. I found a spa mit at the pool store that literally wipes the ring off when I empty and clean my tub. You'll be filled, hot and enjoying your tub, that's when you have to worry about it getting dirty ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

The_Bends

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 05:09:49 pm »
I just got my new spa a few days ago and the electrician is due to finish the wiring tomorrow. I haven't put any water in it yet, but I sat in the tub last night for a picture, and noticed it didn't feel as smooth as I thought it would, as it kind of has a slight film on it. Now I'm wondering what's the best thing to use to clean it. I called the place this morning where I bought it and the guy told me to use Simple Green. He said to wipe it on with a rag, hose it off and bail the water out. My wife says no way, as she feels that adding Simple Green is just adding more chemicals and she's concerned we might not get all the Simple Green out. What do you fellow owners suggest?

What kind of spa is it?
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

Han Solo

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 05:40:05 pm »

What kind of spa is it?

It's a Sundance Solo model.

The_Bends

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 06:01:23 pm »
That's a neat spa!  Sometimes I put antifreeze (glycerin based) in hot tubs when we winterize them to help prevent the lines from freezing during the cold.  In the spring, when opening, it leaves a slime/slick film.  
Arctic Spas Hydrotherapy Technician

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 08:20:20 pm »
That's a neat spa!  Sometimes I put antifreeze (glycerin based) in hot tubs when we winterize them to help prevent the lines from freezing during the cold.  In the spring, when opening, it leaves a slime/slick film.  
(I'll bite)
Okay, and you use WHAT to get the slime/slick film off the tubs in spring?
RIP C-Rod

Han Solo

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2006, 09:30:27 pm »
(I'll bite)
My guess would be gallons of Tequila and a bunch of friends in abrasive swimming trunks?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2006, 07:50:40 am »
You might find that having a bottle of spa surface cleaner and a scrubby pad may come in handy, especially for the firts few weeks of ownership.  The stuff I use is made by Brilliance (Baqua packages the exact same product too)- it's a gel that you apply to a scrunge pad- it can be used with water in the spa, and it doens't need to be rinsed out.  Came in handy to get rid of the "ring around the collar" that we got the first month or so we had the spa.  
 You could also use a lot of regular cleaning products, but the spa stuff is made so that you don't need to drain the spa or rinse.  
Brewman

Han Solo

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2006, 05:59:07 pm »
You might find that having a bottle of spa surface cleaner and a scrubby pad may come in handy, especially for the firts few weeks of ownership.  The stuff I use is made by Brilliance (Baqua packages the exact same product too)- it's a gel that you apply to a scrunge pad- it can be used with water in the spa, and it doens't need to be rinsed out.  Came in handy to get rid of the "ring around the collar" that we got the first month or so we had the spa.  
 You could also use a lot of regular cleaning products, but the spa stuff is made so that you don't need to drain the spa or rinse.  
Thanks, I will look into getting some.

Bama

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 10:14:22 pm »
(I'll bite)
My guess would be gallons of Tequila and a bunch of friends in abrasive swimming trunks?

A bristly bikinni like mine should do the trick!!!    Or, just fill the tub with tequila and there will be no bacteria, plus it will winterize it!  Problem solved!  ;D   ;D    ;D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 10:17:41 pm by Bama »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2006, 10:14:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42