What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: The plan so far - what have I missed?  (Read 2477 times)

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
The plan so far - what have I missed?
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:24:09 pm »
Heya All,

Been reading as a guest for a few days . . . this seems like a great community and I've found a lot of good info already - thanks!

First a bit of backstory, if you don't mind . . .

If you want you can just skip to the * * * * * * * below and get to the question(s).

My Spice and I bought our house in 2000, GREAT deal in the Oakland Hills which included a 1993(?) vintage Sundance Montego LX (aka Monty). Nice set-up, on a wood deck under some redwoods, with a gazebo roof built right onto the edges of the tub's wooden frame.

Monty was bubbling happily on move-in day, and after a quick chemistry education and a new cover (old one weighed a ton it was so water-logged), we enjoyed it quite a bit. The house-warming was fun!

So then about 6 months later came the Great California Power Crisis (thanks Enron), and our PG&E bill went to $400 a month. Drained the tub and let it sit a couple of years. Tried powering it back up in '03 or so, and it never got hot. Being originally from New England, I figured that was my Puritan roots telling me such self-indulgence, not to mention outdoor nudity, was just not on. Drained it again and let it sit a while longer.

Come this spring I got tired of Monty just sitting there and smirking at me, and figured I'd get a tech in and see if we couldn't spend a few hundred bucks and get it fired up again. Long story shortened - no dice. If you want I'll tell it, but I'm sure you've heard all the variations on that one. RIP Monty.

Meanwhile, I've become *obsessed* with getting hot water back in my life. Unfortunately, the man of the house, while being perfect in most every other way, could teach tree-bark a few things about being tight. So I've been trying to get Monty roaring again on a low budget. It's just not going to happen. RIP Monty.

Then a miracle happened. A couple of days ago, it was my birthday (you and me Terminator! only a couple of years apart, won't say which way). In a moment of weakness, the Man agreed to go along with just saying adios to Monty and getting something simpler! So  . . .

I have about $5K to spend, and we like simple. Something round and hot will do just fine, don't need a huge number or variety of jets - it's therapeutic for me to just sit under the redwoods in quiet hot water, with a friend or two or three. I want it to work and be hot. I don't need a project, or a new profession in hydrochemistry and dynamics, just a nice, hot, peaceful soak.

I've been considering and will test low-end Jacuzzi (200 series), Nordic (Sport), and possibly Vita (Cirque) spas - these are round ones similar to the local pay-as-you-go "hot spring" where you can pay $20 for a half hour for two folks to use theirs. We'd prefer to have an ozone system - advice appreciated relative to those models.

I called a local Jacuzzi/Nordic dealer yesterday and he says he has a Jacuzzi he can sell me for $3995, with the cover and not much else. I'll go look at that today. How does that sound to you all? For an entry-level tub, how much should I insist they fill it up for a wet test?

The site is basically prepped. At the same time and on a different budget, I'll be replacing the deck adjacent that the removal/installation people will need to cross to get to where the tub is. (Some of that decking has turned to cheese and wouldn't be safe to walk on with a heavy load).

Somehow the previous owner got Monty installed without a GFCI. It's on a dedicated double breaker, meaning it's got 240V I guess (does that sound right?). Not sure how many amps. I got a referral from my spa tech to two electricians he's worked with, so I'm pretty sure we'll be able to get that sorted out OK.

However, we are on a SERIOUS downslope with lots of big trees, interesting corners, and other immovable objects like a garage. I don't think even a crane is an option due to the distance from the street and said obstacles. I got a phone quote of $450 to remove Monty but that's site unseen by the removal company.

We have neighbors with two little kids, who have a big picture window looking directly at us, so we do need some privacy. I'm hoping we can salvage the upper half of the gazebo (remember it's currently attached to the 30" high skirt around Monty) and build a frame to support it, so ultimately the new tub will be free-standing underneath that, with room for a plant or two, or possibly a cool-down shelf of some sort. That will mean we have a 78" (or so) diameter tub in a 100" (or so) square enclosure, with one side open for walk-in access. Is this enough room for any necessary servicing?

I'm hoping a dealer would do funeral rites for Monty (RIP) along with installing the new tub. What are my chances of that?

I'm on vacation for the next three weeks. If I can decide in the next couple of days, does it seem reasonable I'd be in hot water by Labor day and on budget?

Sorry to go on so long, but I hope all this is at least entertaining, and I hope you can help me with some of your collective wisdom.

Thanks in advance!

Hot Tub Forum

The plan so far - what have I missed?
« on: August 11, 2006, 03:24:09 pm »

hawkman

Re: The plan so far - what have I missed?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 03:34:23 pm »
You should be able to get a Tiger River Bengal for about that much. My dad has that model and is happy. I don't recall there being a lot of jets, so that will work for you. Speaking of Hot, I haven't been able to get by Hot Srping below 106 during this crazy summer.. you want hot, 106 is HOOOOOTTTT.

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 03:47:06 pm »
Thanks - I guess I did mention "hot" a couple of times - LOL

BTW y'all can call me "imp" for short - I'll try to be briefer from now on.

;)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 04:51:40 pm »
If you are going to go to the HotSpring dealer to see the Tiger River Bengal mentioned above - an excellant spa, btw, you should also look at the Hot Spot line of tubs. Very simple, not real pricey.

The Mallorca: http://www.call-wild.com/Rustic.html is a 7 foot square - that's 84 inches - and the Sorrento: http://hotspot.hotspring.com/Showroom/spa_model_sorrento.html is 6'6", or 78". These tubs are deep, but  not round. You can always soak with your eyes closed and pretend...

The Solana RX: http://www.solanaspa.com/showroom_rx.html should be sitting on the same showroom floor - it is in fact round, though it is a low-profile tub so you are going to be crowded if you have more than three or four.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 05:14:57 pm »
Thanks so much for your suggestions!

"The Mallorca: www.call-wild.com/Rustic.html is a 7 foot square"

Yep that link looked rustic and round alright  :)  just so I don't get confused, I'm guessing you were pointing me to http://hotspot.hotspring.com/Showroom/spa_model_mallorca.html  ?

The nearest Hotspring dealer is some distance, which I don't mind shopping-wise, but hope it's not going to be an issue for service.

Thanks again . . .

hymbaw

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 05:30:46 pm »
For something round and simple that is well built I would go with the Nordic.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 07:46:14 pm »
Thanks hymbaw . . . we'll do the rounds tomorrow and see what we can find out.

I read a couple of things here about Vita Spas. There's supposedly a dealer in Oakland, really close, and I did a driveby of their site the other day - they were closed, and in a really funky-looking location. Anybody want to comment further about them?

I appreciate the responses - for what I want to spend, I want to be pretty clear when I go to look around. Am I totally dreaming, or does this plan seem doable?

Cheers
 :)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 09:08:28 pm »
If you want something round here you go.

http://www.rhtubs.com/redwood.htm
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

imp etc

• Love my soakin zone!
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 03:56:08 am »
Thanks for the note - I hadn't considered a wooden tub, partly because it's a bit out of my price range, and they seem like such a different world altogether.

I've never been in one either - it looks like they're in my neighborhood though. The owner is the same Dr Spa I saw logged in earlier, yes?

The look certainly fits with our site . . .

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 03:56:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42