What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Going to the Master Spa show  (Read 5835 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Going to the Master Spa show
« on: July 27, 2006, 06:51:36 pm »
Well,  I know I'll probably move this to the Dead Horse section soon, but for now, its news.  Last winter we went to one of the infamous Master Spa shows.  This was the much maligned show with what many called, and I agree "Intentionally deceptive, if not outright false advertising".  It was part of a legitimate home show, but the ads mentioned 16 of the top brands, which was a bald faced lie (sorry term, Stuart,and to whom else it applies  ;) )   That said, these are probably some good spas, but the advertising was fraudulent.  What I didn't do that time was verify what if any involvement our local MS dealer had with this show.    As I've mentioned before, here in Columbus, Ohio if you asked people who currently didn't own a hot tub, where they would look for one, the two top answers would be our HS/Cal dealer and the Masterspa Dealer. However, these possible customers would probably identify them as Scioto Valley(former) and the guys with the pink trucks(latter)  Both around a long time with a lot of happy customers.

Anyway, this show I heard about on the radio. I think its tommorow, but I have to listen again to be sure. The ad came accross the air as a Master Spa show and a MS only, no other brands mentioned.  Also mentioned was "Come see the spa featured on (I think it was) "This old house"   I listened intently for more details and found it is being held on the corner of two streets in an easy to get to part of town (good neighborhood), but no where near the MS Dealer (maybe 5 miles away) adjacent to some other non-related business that may be sponsored by that other business.   So maybe I'll have more to report tomorrow night.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 06:52:57 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Going to the Master Spa show
« on: July 27, 2006, 06:51:36 pm »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
Re: Going to the Master Spa show
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 05:01:07 am »
Eat em up Bill.......pretend like your buying see what kind of pitch they throw at ya.
Retired

gores95

• '06 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 08:51:44 am »
It was part of a legitimate home show, but the ads mentioned 16 of the top brands, which was a bald faced lie (sorry term, Stuart,and to whom else it applies  ;) )  

Well I just did a Google search (I have too much free time I guess  ;) ) and came up with the following from the American Heritage dictionary:

1. bald-faced: Brash; barefaced.

2. barefaced: Presumptuous and shameless: "a barefaced lie."

3. bold-faced: Impudent; brazen.

So you could have gone with with #2 and spared Term, etc. any embarrasment or bad feelings.  As a 39 year old male who down the road may be joining the ranks of Yule Brenner, Telly Savalas and Lex Luthor, I myself am extremely sensitive to this "follically deprived" bashing.

So consider this a PC reply from your friend in the VERY blue state of NJ!!   ;)

Marc

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 10:44:26 am »
Is "bald-faced" a reference to the fact that my hairline is receeding? OK, so I have a bit more forehead than I used to. I don't see why you have to pick on me about it.

Sheesh.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 10:46:31 am »
 Just happened to glance at the local Master Spa store on my way to work this morning, and according to their painted window, they are still running their June blowout sale.
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 01:33:26 pm »
Bill,

did you make it to the show....

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 09:25:54 pm »
My face has not been bald in over 30 years! ;) ;D 8)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:47:03 pm »
Spill the beans Bill.  :o
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 08:55:09 am »
Soon.  There is one more detail I wanted to check out.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 07:35:07 am »
Soon.  There is one more detail I wanted to check out.

Maybe I can get that last detail this weekend. I did stop at the "show"   The show was advertised as a Master Spa show located in a lot next to a Garden center.  The show wasn't bad, some decent people with several tubs, nothing really high pressure.  I was suprised to learn that the company selling was a local pool company, not the long time Master Dealer that I am familar with.  This pool company has done inground pools around town for years.  Their web site now says "and spas"   I'm not sure if they have a show room, their near my work, so maybe I can check that out.;

Now back to the long time Master Dealer that I almost bought from. I need to stop in and see what they are selling and why they no longer carry Master.  I heard a rumor about that, but I want to verify it before I spread it.

Just for fun, I went to Master's Dealer locater and I had forgotten you must fill out info to have a dealer contact you.  I hate that.

More later.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 12:12:58 pm »
Mr. Bill, if you go back, see if there's a fat, sweaty guy with thinning, slicked back red hair working there.  If so, tell him you heard that Macy's was buying out Dillards and that you got this hot stock tip from a friend in Longview, TX.  Also, tell him his Grandee is in. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 12:45:16 pm »
Just for fun, I went to Master's Dealer locater and I had forgotten you must fill out info to have a dealer contact you.  I hate that.
Me too. Sometimes an email address alone doesn't do it.

My brother-in-law gets a lot of brochures for spas these days...

::)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
Ok, I've been a little lax in my detective work, but I'll fix that shortly  As mentioned I went to the recent Master Spa show.   The ads for this show were clear on what was going to be there and there were plenty of spas to look at and fairly cordial people working there.  I didn't identify myself, but gave a cover story as to why I might be buying a spa next year. I was treated well left alone, but my questions were answered.  

This show was on the land of a local gardening/landscaping company not related to Pacific Pools who are the new local dealer for Master Spa. A quick check, Pacific Pools seems to be a well established pool store place who have done many in ground pool installations in the area, but I don't think they have much floor space. (I work near there so I'll try to check that out)

I stopped in the long time Master Dealer here in town as they have the best price on Calcium booster.   They are now carrying QCA spas.  Anyone know anything about them?  The salesman was pretty tight lipped about the switch, but I've heard from two competitors that the "Traveling circus" was at least a major factor in their switching brands. I'll try to confirm that when I go back.

http://www.qcaspas.com/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:10:57 pm by wmccall »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 12:45:23 pm »
They are now carrying QCA spas.  Anyone know anything about them?  

My understanding has always been that they are a midwestern/regional spa maker in the Quad Cities area where Iowa and Illinois meet. Per google it includes Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa and Moline/East Moline and Rock Island in Illinois with QC = Quad Cities, not sure about the A, maybe it stands for acrylic.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:46:25 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 11:54:56 am »
According to the now former MS Dealer, they feel that the QCA line gives them more models in a better price range and they think they will be easier to sell in the current economy.  They have been around a long time so their opinion deserves some respect.   They would only admit that the "traveling Circus"  was a minor factor.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 11:55:34 am by wmccall »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 11:54:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42