What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine Generator  (Read 6757 times)

tumbleweed

• HotTub'n
Bromine Generator
« on: August 07, 2006, 09:00:49 am »
Have any of the techs in this forum had any experiance with bromine generators?  I have used the chlorine generators in pools for years with great results and very happy customers.

I would like to hear from some b/g users before recomending it to any spa customers.

Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine Generator
« on: August 07, 2006, 09:00:49 am »

TMJ

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Bromine Generator
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 09:22:37 am »
I am not a tech, just a happy owner. I have had the bromine generator for about a year, and have not had any problems. The first month was a learning experience, having never owned a spa before, but all is great. Maintaining water is easy, any concerns I have had have been handled swiftly by dealer, either in person, or by phone. Not sure if I have given you much insight, but this has been my experience.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 10:54:26 am »
I think it is like most things, if people will read and follow instructions they will be fine. From my experience with Bromine generators it was bad, real bad.  There were a few manufactures that tried the Bio Quest system a few years ago and most the customer I dealt with had problems (mainly because they would follow directions), I think they thought it was a magic cure all hot water issues. On 80% of the spas I ended up taking them out for the customers.

They are also very hard on the heaters.

Gary
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
[size=14]Bromine Generators  take a little more time for you to get your levels where you want it.  The difference between the two  is you still have to shock you hot tub as where the saltwater chlorinators you just put it into boost mode.   We had just recently finished running some genesis models for a couple of months  on various brands of tubs. The water quality was quite better than on all models.

The biggest issue we found was on the Beachcomber where the was a large amount of Calcium build up on the electrode constantly  other than that  the water was good, the heaters showed no signs of build up. I would recommend the bromine generator if you have a lot people in your tub all of the time or you dont really want to keep checking you levels all of the time.

PS I found the generator works better with the ozonator unplugged

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:54:17 pm »
I have not tried a bromine generator in a couple years, since having very unsatisfactory results with the ones I tested.
They never functioned correctly for very long and, due to the salts added to the water, wherever water dried (top lip of shell, steps, floor, etc.) there were white deposits left behind.

tumbleweed

• HotTub'n
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:45:25 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  Just a note, BioQuest went out of business last year.  Genesis is going strong and based here in Colorado.

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 04:39:16 pm »
Hydropool has been piloting the Gensis system through 6 stores including the one I work at.

I have seen two issues arise frequently that are a result of the filtration method.
1. Undersanitizing
2. Over heating

Hydropool uses Pump 1 for filtration, heating and massage on high speed, like many other tubs. This system is less than ideal with the Genesis. To create enough bromine, the pump needs to run 6 or more hours a day with the device on maximum output. In cases of excessive use (2-3 times a day with 2 or more people) the system just cant keep up. The ambient heat created results in over heating conditions greater than 1-2 degrees. 1-2 degrees is quite common in these parts in the summer, circ pump or not.

An employee here has a Beachcomber with a circ pump. He does not have the same issues.

As stated above, it will work well provided people follow the instruction and don't expect it to be a cure all. In my experience, lots of folks are over sold on salt systems for pools and spas.

I also believe that a circ pump is better than not for a bromine generator, at least one like the the low voltage Genesis system. I suppose a more powerful generator would work for tubs that use a "slave" 2-speed pump for filtration and heating.
Homeworks Financing Representative

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 04:41:25 pm »
, due to the salts added to the water, wherever water dried (top lip of shell, steps, floor, etc.) there were white deposits left behind.
I didn't find this to be much of an issue.

The salt rinses off quite easily. Not like calcium deposits.

We do however recommend a granite acrylic rather than a peralesent/marble with the salt system.
Homeworks Financing Representative

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:19:42 pm »
Whether you think it is an issue or not, I had close to a 100% complaint rate from customers with the bromine generating system concerning the salt deposits left everywhere.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:19:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42