What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dichlor users  (Read 2897 times)

In Canada eh

Dichlor users
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:41:27 pm »
About every two weeks I take a water sample to our dealer for warranty purposes.  The strange thing is that after adding drops to the test cell for chlorine(they use a taylor kit for chlorine) they wait 5-7 minutes for the result.  I have found this kind of strange, wouldn't waiting that long give you a total chlorine reading and not a free one.  They state that this is the way to measure dichlor???? The chemical line that they carry is marketed by Beachcomber, not sure who actually makes it.  My Taylor kit (thanks Vinny) says to take the reading right after mixing.  

Has anyone else ever heard this and if so why wait?

They always tell me that my chlorine is kind of high and I don't want to affect warranty in any way.
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

Dichlor users
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:41:27 pm »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Re: Dichlor users
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:55:27 pm »
I'm not sure why they would do that.  Perhaps they seem to think that the thiosulfate (chlorine neutralizer) built into the R-0004 takes some time to react, although I don't think that either method of testing would be incorrect.  If you leave it sit, it's probably still going to be the same color.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »
You have to test for chlorine right away with any kit ... the longer the reagents stay in contact with the water, they change color. I think the Taylor book says to read it right away, I will check when I get home.

Never mind you read the book already ... I missed that.

That's the problem with relying on someone else to do things that you're capable of doing, they may not be doing it correctly ... that's why I test the water myself with the Taylor. And forget about a "computerized" tester.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 02:03:48 pm by Vinny »

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 02:01:54 pm »
Thats the thing, when I tried it at home the colour change continued to darken for about 5 minutes.

I figured that this would be more of a total chlorine number not free.

I wonder if any Beachcomber dealers could shed some light on this?
Bullfrog 451

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 02:56:40 pm »
From what I gathered - when you put in R1, it stabilizes the water for R2 to read free chlorine. Only when you add R3 do you get a reading for combined chlorine.

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 03:23:49 pm »
The most fightning part of teh post is not the waiting (which in my opinion is contrary to ENY and EVERY test kit I have ever used), but rather that this poor person has to take water into a dealer every couple of weeks to maintain the warranty!!

I am not a dealer, just a Spa enjoyer who uses Diclor and it is quite frnakly a no brainer!  1 TSP when I get out, and 2 TBS of Diclor and 2 TBS of MPS once a week.  Change the water every 3-4 months.

I don't see how bringing in water every 2 weeks could be helping the warranty..

My 2 cents.  Toooo much work.

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 03:33:35 pm »
this poor person has to take water into a dealer every couple of weeks

Its not that I have to take a sample in every 2 weeks, its just that should a problem come up I don't want them to say that its because of  blah, blah, blah.  This way they have a computer copy of a water test done quite often.  Also I think it kind of bugs them when I don't have to add anything.  ha ha ha!
Bullfrog 451

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 04:48:05 pm »
I use the Beachcomber line of chems.  You do not have to wait for the reading , it will change to dark purple if you wait 5 minutes for sure.  I take my sample in every 2-4 weeks also but not for the chlorine read, I do it for Calcium and Alk.  

What tub do you have?

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

In Canada eh

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 05:31:52 pm »
Rayman

Thanks for the info, thats about what I thought.  Don't know where they got thier information from but I'll have to ask them about it, other than this strange thing they have been great.  

We don't own a Beachcomber tub, the dealer sells Beachcomber and Bullfrog, we choose the Bullfrog 451 and we love it.

Being alittle further down the 401 than you, I have to comment about the Go Leafs Go part.  I can see Jos Louis arena from here Go Wings Go  ;D ;D

Thanks again
Bullfrog 451

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 04:34:11 pm »
Rayman

Being alittle further down the 401 than you, I have to comment about the Go Leafs Go part.  I can see Jos Louis arena from here Go Wings Go  ;D ;D

Thanks again

Excellent franchise, too bad we are not in the same division, I used to love the rivalry.

Rayman
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

In Canada eh

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 05:28:12 pm »

Excellent franchise, too bad we are not in the same division

Ditto!
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 05:28:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42