What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Placement of spa on deck  (Read 3838 times)

green1320

Placement of spa on deck
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:35:20 pm »
I just bought a new Tiger River Caspian and want to put in on my deck. The deck has 2 x 10 floor joist on 16 in centers with 6 x 6 posts and 5/4 floor decking. The dealer told me they can't rate my deck to tell me if it is safe to hold the tub. The deck sits approx 7 ft off of the ground. One recomidation that I got from a local contractor was to put a 2 x 6 center support under the floor joist near the center of the tub with two jack poles. Can anyone tell me if this should be sufficiant. Thanks
2006 Tiger River Caspian

Hot Tub Forum

Placement of spa on deck
« on: August 03, 2006, 01:35:20 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Placement of spa on deck
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 01:53:57 pm »
IMHO, go with what the local contractor recommends, as s/he would know more than the dealer on what will support your tub....of course, on making your deck stronger, there's no such thing as OVERKILL. ;)  
You're going to want the deck to hold up to the weight of the tub, water, and people in one small area for years to come. You COULD have a pro come in and reinforce the area for you, or take their advice and do it yourself, if you're handy. Just be sure that you do it right the first time, as 7' is a LONG way for a loaded tub to fall....
RIP C-Rod

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 01:54:24 pm »
Am by no means a structural engineer, also not familiar
with the weight and water capacity of your tub.
But...I think a filled tub can weigh in the 4000-6000 lb. range. :o
Suggest you contact a certified contractor, and also check your local codes.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2006, 01:59:25 pm »
My city provides this service, all we have to do is ask the building inspectors/engineers and they'll tell us what is required for correct spa support.
Maybe your city or county offeres that as well.
A contractor or similar will know too, but they might want some money in exchange for their services.

Brewman

spaman-

• "ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS ITS FUNNY"-SPATECH-
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 02:02:37 pm »
I know Colorado code for hottubs of 8'x8' or smallers calls for support ability of 150lbs per square ft. Call your county have it inspected.
-SpaMan~

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2006, 03:19:48 pm »
Green,

An online forum is here:  http://www.handymanwire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php.  This forum is excellent and I've used it a bunch of times.  I highly recommend it to anyone reading this, especially the electrical forum.

Jim

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2006, 03:45:10 pm »
Personally, I would put a 4x6 instead of a 2x6 on two jack poles. In fact, I would dig and put two cement footings to match the other footings around it, and match the other posts - 6"x6".
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:00:09 pm »
I can fax you our deck support sheet. Otherwise, lag bolt deck to through sill or through foundation( whatever it may be). Directly under spa, use a short beam(double or triple 2"x8"x8') to 6"x6" posts to concrete sonotubes to below frost line. Best to get your local building official involved.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 10:00:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42