What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Island Spas - any good?  (Read 16611 times)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
Re: Island Spas - any good?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 01:33:06 pm »
Cat,  The Captiva will be a good spa for you.  Artesian will stand behind the warranty, bt it's the dealer that executes it so make sure they are OK too.

Well said.

We've heard several folks comment on how they had problems with their tub and the experiences with their dealers (good and bad).

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2006, 01:33:06 pm »

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2006, 01:43:37 pm »
Cat, based on his past posts, Sledjunkie bought a 2005 model, paid no sales tax, and picked it up himself at the dealer. At that, he appears to have gotten a very good deal. I believe East Tx Spa is pulling your leg alittle. About a month ago, he did not like a local competitor advertising itself as an Artesian Factory Outlet with great savings available. There is a long thread on it with various interpretations  of what "factory outlet" means and and the ethics of such dealer advertising. I think it is safe to say you are not going to find an "Artesian Factory Outlet" with prices lower than you dealer's.   Jeff

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2006, 01:51:18 pm »
Artesian, from what I've read, has a solid reputation as being a "solid" manufacturer, just as the other "big names". If one of the local big name dealers doesn't give you a good feeling, then by all means go to another, which is what it sounds like you've done. Whatever brand you buy, your dealer will be your contact and help in fixing whatever may break in the future.
Don't depend on what someone else paid to be what you should pay (I found this one out, also), as the price of identical tubs can fluctuate WILDLY, depending on where you are in the country. My tub cost me just over $8200 for everything (in southeastern Wisconsin), but could run closer to $10k in another part of the country. The only thing you'll really get is a ballpark number, unless someone else bought the same tub very local to where you are.
In any case, best of luck, find a dealer that you feel will support you in the future, wether warranty, non-warranty or "stupid questions".  ;)
RIP C-Rod

catfan9t

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2006, 01:52:37 pm »
I called the "Factory Direct Outlet" in Baltimore for a quote on the same spa and suprise, suprise the price was no lower.

One question for all.
On the Captiva I can get it with (1) 6hp 2sp pump or (2) 3hp 1 sp pumps.  Which is better?  It will have a seperate 24hr circulation pump.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2006, 02:00:37 pm »
Either setup will do the job, I guess I'd lean toward the 2 smaller pumps, though. This is all MY opinion, of course....now as to WHY I say this? Hmmm....well, my HS Grandee has 2 1 speed pumps, and it circulates water VERY well, plenty of power....I have many options on what jets will pump because each pump is dedicated to certain jets....
Best of luck on your choice.
RIP C-Rod

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2006, 02:02:07 pm »
I called the "Factory Direct Outlet" in Baltimore for a quote on the same spa and suprise, suprise the price was no lower.

Hmmm, maybe it's because they also have a lease, employees and pretty much the same overhead.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2006, 02:05:15 pm »
I know you guys are going to hate me for this, but as I've said before, IMO dealers are NOT that important as you would think when purchasing a hot tub. In the first few years during the warranty period it's pretty rare to have anything go wrong, after that you can get any local dealer to fix your problem, or even do it yourself if you're up to it.

Do this. Call up a local dealer that sells, oh say any brand, even the expensive brands like hotsprings and sundance. Tell them you think you have a leak or a pump that's not working on a brand that they don't carry. If they say they won't fix it because they don't carry that brand, ask them if they know anyone who will. They will probably ask you what brand you have and recommend you go to the closest dealership. But if there is nobody that sells your brand in the area I bet they will give you a name of someone local that fixes all brands.
Now obviously if my tub was under warranty I would go to the dealer where I bought it (if they're still in business) and they would do it, but any dealer that carries your brand will fix it for you even if it's out of warranty.

Boy I'm going to get some heat for this one.
But this is honestly how I feel. It kills me to hear everyone always post how important dealers are. Hey wait isn't this board full of dealers?
Doh!

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2006, 02:06:05 pm »
Cat -
Go with the 2 pumps.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2006, 02:17:22 pm »
How do I find out where the factory direct outlets are?  I do have a place nearby called "STM" that makes hot tubs and sells directly to the public but I am not sure of the quality of their tubs.

I am very sorry for the confusion.  I would not buy a spa from "STM Factory Direct" as that is more than likely someone building a kit spa in their workshop.

Artesian makes a fine spa and has a fairly large dealer network.  They also have several factory direct outlets where you can buy their spas for less money than going through their dealers, where the spas are sold at higher costs to cover the middleman's profit.

There is a factory direct Artesian store in Palestine, TX.  It is one of the largest Artesian factory stores in the nation.  Go to the Artesian website and request the locations of the factory dealer closest to you.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2006, 02:18:35 pm »
Sledjunkie,

how long have you owned your tub? Is this your first tub?

thanks,
07 Caldera Geneva

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2006, 02:20:33 pm »
Cat, that is a good question. If you go to the Artesian website, click on Club Artesian, click on owners manuals, and click on 2006 Island, you will find in the manual schematics for the 32 jet Captiva in each pump configuration. With two pumps, you will not have a diverter and one pump will run a certain set of jets and the second pump will run a different set of pumps. With one pump, there will be a diverter. With the diverter set in the middle, all the jets will run. When you turn the diverter one way or the other, only a certain set of jets will run, but now with much more power (because the one 6hp pump is going only to those jets).  I think the key question for the dealer would be how the power of the jets run by one of the 3hp pumps compares to the power of the same jets when run by the 6hp pump with (1) the diverter in the middle and  (2) the diverter turned to those jets alone. In general, if you are looking for maximum power to one seat, I would think the one pump option would be better. If you are looking for the best performance with all the jets running, my guess is the 2 pump option would be better.   Jeff

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 02:23:57 pm »
I'm sorry for my lateness on the previous post.  I was almost through writing it when I had two groups of shoppers come in and when I came back, I just hit send.

I am somewhat taken aback by the now revealed deception being perpetrated by this company.  Although the spa itself is a good product, the shady selling method would definitely raise a red flag with me.  To each his own.

I sincerely hope you get a great deal on your spa. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

sledjunkie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2006, 02:33:13 pm »
Couple of weeks with the tub.
My first time owning a tub.

Have two family members and a couple of friends with tubs.

Why do you ask?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 02:56:46 pm »
Couple of weeks with the tub.
My first time owning a tub.

Have two family members and a couple of friends with tubs.

Why do you ask?

I'm trying to get a better understanding of your expereinces and knoweldge of tubs as I read your replies and comments.

Thanks.
07 Caldera Geneva

JeffB

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 07:30:41 pm »
I started a separate thread on this, but thought the information should probably be here also. I emailed Artesian about "factory direct outlets" and received a prompt response. In short, there is only one Artesian factory outlet in the US and it is in Las Vegas where the Artesian factory is located. Artesian is aware that some dealers advertise themselves as "factory direct". Artesian wishes this would not happen. These dealers get no different pricing than any of Artesian's other dealers.  Jeff

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 07:30:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42