What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Damaged HS Vanguard Floor Model  (Read 4255 times)

Bob_Rolin

• Lucy, Help me pick a  tub
Damaged HS Vanguard Floor Model
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:56:43 pm »
Hey folks looking for some advice.  Our HS dealer, which we really have a good feeling about, offered to sell us a floor model.  The only problem is that in two corners on the very bottom it looks like two bubbles have come up in the acrylic shell.  These areas would obviously not be noticable when it is full of water.  The dealer said the warranty would be the full HS warranty and he would put into the contract that he would replace the spa if those blisters caused a problem.  The price he is quoting is $7,071.51 including sales tax.  Has anyone had this shell problem in a HS tub and does this sound like a good deal??????? Thanks you.

Hot Tub Forum

Damaged HS Vanguard Floor Model
« on: July 29, 2006, 05:56:43 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Damaged HS Vanguard Floor Model
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 06:09:16 pm »
I'd buy that sucker in a heartbeat.  That is about $2000 below suggested retail price and the blemishes are just cosmetic.  I've never seen one of our spas have a blemish, so I'd have to say it is a very rare occurence.

As long as he is putting it in writing, I would have NO reservations about putting the spa in my backyard.

Good luck! :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 06:46:57 pm »
Jump on it.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

JanEngland

• Hot tubs...bubbleli cious!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 08:11:57 pm »
Go for it! We have a 2005 Vanguard and couldn't be happier! Especially if you're still covered under the warranty..Enjoy!
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit...look who's here!

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 11:20:03 am »
Great deal.

What probably happened to that model is that it got left dry and uncovered with a lot of sun on it.  That's about the most likely thing to cause the blistering.  Since your spa is not going to be exposed to the sun while dry, this shouldn't pose an issue.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 11:30:35 am »
What happens if more blisters show up? Can you get a new tub free of charge or will HS replace the shell free of charge?

It might be a good deal or it might become a headache ... As dealers have said here about other brands - if it seems too good to be true, it might not be as good as you think!

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 11:49:33 am »
Vinny, the blisters may be an eye-sore, but in no way will they affect the performance of the tub.

You can probably barely see them when the tub is filled anyway.

As far as warranty is concerned, the dealer seems pretty firm in their promise for providing coverage on the tub.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 11:49:52 am »
But make sure that they are covering for all 7 years.

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2006, 01:30:58 pm »
I, personally, would require that the dealer inform HS about this arrangement.  I would want a signed form from HS saying that they as the manufacturer would back up this deal.  I have seen, many times, deals like this between dealers, sales staff and customers .  If something were to happen, and the sales person or heaven forbid the dealer are gone (out of business), the factory won't do anything about it.  Most companies that I know don't provide full warranty on blems or damaged product.  
From my experience, if it is blistered in one area, it is only a matter of time before they crop up in other areas of the tub.  Being left in the sun may be the cause, but I would put my $ on problem occurring during the molding process of the shell.  Just my two cents

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2006, 04:13:55 pm »
I, personally, would require that the dealer inform HS about this arrangement.  I would want a signed form from HS saying that they as the manufacturer would back up this deal.  I have seen, many times, deals like this between dealers, sales staff and customers .  If something were to happen, and the sales person or heaven forbid the dealer are gone (out of business), the factory won't do anything about it.  Most companies that I know don't provide full warranty on blems or damaged product.  
From my experience, if it is blistered in one area, it is only a matter of time before they crop up in other areas of the tub.  Being left in the sun may be the cause, but I would put my $ on problem occurring during the molding process of the shell.  Just my two cents

This is my point. Yes, 2 little delaminations aren't a big deal, but what about 5, 15 or 25. It may never happen and all you have is those 2 - but nobody knows what will happen in the future - in or out of warranty. What happens if it delaminates around the water line? Could it be possible - and I really don't know the answer to this - that the entire shell could have a problem?

I would err on the side of cautiousness.

Brookenstein

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 05:28:35 pm »
I would just make sure the paper work did not say 'AS IS' anywhere.   :)

Bob_Rolin

• Lucy, Help me pick a  tub
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 06:31:35 pm »
Thanks to all for the feed back.  We bit the bullet this morning and purchased the HS Vanguard.  The owner of the pool company, which has been in business here for over 18 years, said he would back the full HS warranty.  I was very hesitant but they spelled it out in the contract that the spa had some blistering and if it leaked or cracked they would replace it with a new spa.  I specifically asked repair or replace and they wrote replace.  Like I have read in this forum, you have to have a good feeling about your dealer and the product your buying.  I think we got both.  Thanks again to all of you for the information and I will seen a pic or two next weekend when we are tubbing it.  bob

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 06:47:39 pm »
Congrats on the Vanguard. You're going to love it. You got it for a very good price also.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 11:20:48 am »
I would just make sure the paper work did not say 'AS IS' anywhere.   :)

That's good advice.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:47 am »
Jump on it.

Won't that make the blister worse?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2006, 11:39:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42