What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: MPS  (Read 2898 times)

marianb

MPS
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:00:12 pm »
I don't want to sound ignorant about this, but.... . I keep  reading that folks are using MPS to help keep the spa clean.  What is MPS?  Is that a brand name or a  shortened version of a chemical compound?

Hot Tub Forum

MPS
« on: July 29, 2006, 12:00:12 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: MPS
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 12:36:53 pm »
MPS is short for Monosodium persulfate, also called  Potassium Monopersulfate or Peroxy Monopersulfate . Most commonly it's called non-chlorine shock. The product is solely an oxidizer and will not sanitize. As an oxidizer, in simple terms it burns up organic material. It will also activate (or reactivate) bromide ions back into the killing form of bromine, hypobromous acid.

There's a bunch more info here;

http://www.rhtubs.com/Monopersulfate.htm

I don't want to sound ignorant about this, but.... . I keep  reading that folks are using MPS to help keep the spa clean.  What is MPS?  Is that a brand name or a  shortened version of a chemical compound?

If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 03:16:31 pm »
Well, I'm so glad you asked the question.  I thought for sure MPS stood for "multi-purpose shock".  

Alrighty then.......here's my question.......we have an ozonator, use a nature 2 cartridge.  The dealer has recmmended we add shock once a week.....that's it!  All that's required for a spa maintenance.  This is not doing the trick.  We seem to get cloudy water after a couple days.  He says that the once a week shock is for moderate use......about 2 people in the spa 3x a week.  Well, we have at least 2 people in once a day......sometimes I am in more than once a day and sometimes we have more than 2 people in the spa.  Should I just shock about twice a week considering our usage?  

Should I revert to the dichlor after each use?  My shock is 58.2% sodium dicholor-s-triazinetrone and 41.9% "other ingredents" whatever that is.  Can I use a teaspoon or so of this stuff, or should I get some other stuff that doesn't have "other ingredients"?  

I would really like to have some sort of system that I can have confidence in....this one isn't it.  If guests come over, I want to be sure that when I open the cover of the spa, the water is going to be clear.  These days, I'm never quite sure.  I know that cloudy water doesn't necessarily mean "unclean", but my guests may be leary.  

Ph and alkalinity are fine.

this is all so confusing!

HELP!

Thanks!

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 03:42:49 pm »
Well, I'm so glad you asked the question.  I thought for sure MPS stood for "multi-purpose shock".  

Alrighty then.......here's my question.......we have an ozonator, use a nature 2 cartridge.  The dealer has recmmended we add shock once a week.....that's it!  All that's required for a spa maintenance.  

I would really like to have some sort of system that I can have confidence in....this one isn't it.

Stemay,

I think you will find that most people on this website  believe in dichlor as thier main disinfectant.  1 tsp for each bather after each use.  Ajust your alkalinity and ph as needed and then shock one a week with MPS.  Ozone, UV, N2 are all secondary treatment aids, the cloudiness of your water is probally from lack of a sanitizer(chlorine)
Bullfrog 451

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 03:45:27 pm »
Thanks, Canada......I do think I'm going to try the "after each use" system.  Seems to be most popular and most people are reporting consistently clear and problem-free water.

Is my multi-purpose shock considered MPS?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 04:06:07 pm »
The only true all purpose shock is dichlor.

Dichlor will kill all the bugs in your tub that a normal dose might miss, oxidize organics at higher doses and get rid of combined chlorine.

MPS does a great job of oxidizing organics and getting rid of combined chlorine but you need to use much more and your TDS will climb quickly.

On the N2 site - they say use 2 oz of MPS or 2 teaspoons of dichlor (I think thats the proportion) - 2 teaspoons are 0.32 oz.

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 04:38:15 pm »

Is my multi-purpose shock considered MPS?

I think Doc said it the best and I'm not even going to try to spell it, check the back of your bottle.  Look for the mono-per-oxy-whatcamacallit wording.  You can shock with dichlor also as Vinny said, the only problem with it ,is that you wait for the chlorine level to come back down before taking a dip. You can use the tub 15 minutes after shocking with MPS, however your TDS(total disolved solids) will start to climb with each use.
Bullfrog 451

Stemay

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 05:10:26 pm »
I checked......the multi purpose shock is NOT MPS.  Goodness, even with my glasses, it's hard to read all that stuff.

So.....here's the next question.......My shock is 58.2% sodium dicholor-s-triazinetrone and 41.9% "other ingredents" whatever that is.  Does this mean that my shock is DICHLOR?  Can I use a smaller amount of this after use and then use the larger amount to shock with once a week?  

All this is so confusing!  Once I get it right, I hope it will be smooth sailing after that!  I never thought it was going to be so much more difficult than the pool!

THANKS!  to everyone on this board for your patience and your help!

Spiderman

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 05:15:47 pm »

Stemay,

I think you will find that most people on this website  believe in dichlor as thier main disinfectant.  1 tsp for each bather after each use.

Wouldn't it depend on the size of your tub?  We have a 225 gal tub so I would guess that we wouldn't use as much as a 450 gal tub, right?
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 06:07:56 pm »

Wouldn't it depend on the size of your tub?

Spiderman
Your right, we both have tubs on the small side(ours is 1150 litres).  I have a long handled spoon for getting down to the bottom of those little bottles and I use alittle less than one tsp
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 06:07:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42