What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: newbie - some advice pls.  (Read 2773 times)

corey823

newbie - some advice pls.
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:09:46 pm »
Hi!

After a long search we decided on a HS Prodigy.  I am waiting for its delivery.  I have a few questions.  I live on Long Island, NY and I am getting estimates about running a new 220 line to the tub.  I am being quoted around $1000 to run the line through the house to the tub.  Is this expensive?  Also, my patio is not perfectly flat.  It is concrete, but there are some slightly raised (1/4")areas.  I heard that the tub can be shimmed.  I do not want to rip out the old patio.  Will I be able to shim the tub?

Thanks,
Corey823

Hot Tub Forum

newbie - some advice pls.
« on: July 26, 2006, 01:09:46 pm »

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: newbie - some advice pls.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 01:33:24 pm »
Corey,

I am in CT and just paid $1130. Quote from 4 electricians was $1100-1200. 2 of the electricians were dealer recommended. We were told the high cost was due to the surge in copper prices. We needed over 100ft of copper and supplies.

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 02:05:01 pm »
Depending on how far you need to run the cable (length of house), that seems like a current price.

I would have had a similar quote had I not run the cable myself several years prior. I bought my cable from a surplus electrical supply store and it only cost me $100. This store buys surplus electrical parts (plugs, switches, etc.) from builders once they complete their projects. So instead of paying $1100, I only paid $300 plus cost of cable.

Yes you can shim the Prodigy. But it is OK to have a bit of a slope towards your filters. See the following document for shim points. Your installers should be able to shim for you. Make sure you have the shims purchased prior to them coming, buy more return left overs later. you want shims that will not rot in water so cedar is probably your best choice.

http://www.hotspring.com/cgi-bin/download.cgi?c=4&f=pdfs/pre-delivery_instruct_05.pdf

corey823

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 02:52:56 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I will tell my wife that we are not getting ripped off.  I will try Home Depot or Lowes for the shims.  Can't wait for that first beer sitting in the tub!

Thanks,

Corey

Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 02:54:15 pm »
What else did you consider besides the Prodigy?  That's on my short list, along with the Bahia, jacuzzi 345, Tiger River Caspian and Caldera Olympia.  I have a family of 5 and my biggest concern with the prodigy was the size......

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 03:06:20 pm »
If you are looking at HS you probably want to jump to the Vanguard for a family of five.

corey823

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:22:25 pm »
It is usually only my wife and I, that's why we went for the Prodigy.  I liked the molded feel of the seating and the feel of the jets.  I also liked the construction of the HS as opposed to the others that we looked at.

Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 05:56:27 pm »
The HS dealer also suggested the Vanguard  for a family our size but it was priced at about 8600 and my budget is about 7500.  

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 06:03:02 pm »
That's unfortunate. Great tub. That's what I got.

Look into the Jacuzzi 3 series or J-460. The J-460 will be out of your price range, but it's the only one in the same class as the Vanguard. The 3 series tubs will be in your price range, but they are step down from the Vanguard. However they are still good tubs.

boobunnies

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2006, 01:49:08 am »
Bee,

Your dilemma sounds all too familiar... we were in the same boat.

We just wet- tested the Sundance Bahia and the HS Tiger River Caspian and were sold on the Bahia- for the quality, warranty, and most importantly, price!

The Bahia was MUCH roomier- perfect for a family of five, and the price was within budget- $7,100 without the stereo- $7,500 with it-- fully loaded with steps, upgraded cover, cover lifter, chemicals, delivery & set-up.

The Caspian is NOT large enough for a family of five- the waterfall, configuration of the cool-seat and bench seat make it a bit impractical.

Another thing to consider-- get a "volcano" or foot base. This will help everyone from playing footsies and will help keep people confined to their own space, thus creating more room in the tub.  

Good luck!

Bosox

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 05:57:30 am »
$1000 For electrical ? I'm in Massachusetts and have a price of $320, not including the GFI box which my Caldera dealer is giving us. I 'm the one to dig the trench. Total footage is about 35', Main box to tub. Electrion paying for cable and piping and install.

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 07:48:21 am »
Great price on electricial Bosox. Is that for a 110 or 220? As noted in my post I ran a 220 and had over 100 ft of cable. about half of that needed to be snaked.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2006, 07:48:21 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42