What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need advice...least expensive in cold winters  (Read 4681 times)

jenni_ann_t

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Need advice...least expensive in cold winters
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:30 am »
I have been doing research on spas and the most important factor is my electricity bill in the winter!  I live in Minnesota so the weather gets extremely cold sometimes.  Of course I would like someting comfortable also.  I was wondering if someone could suggest some cost efficient hot tubs to maintain during the winter months.  From the reviews I have read, so far Beachcomber and Marquis have good reviews for being well insulated and cost efficient.  If you have personal experience in cold winters in your hot tub and still are happy with your electricity bill, I would like to know which spa you have.  ALso, if you have advice on this topic, I would like to hear it.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Hot Tub Forum

Need advice...least expensive in cold winters
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:30 am »

MarKee

Re: Need advice...least expensive in cold winters
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:25:09 am »
Energy efficiency is huge with Marquis.  There was a post on here several months ago about someone who lost power for several days and the spa only drapped 3 degrees in freezing temperatures.  You should visit the spa companies that are in your area for all brands and ask about your concerns.  Your nearest dealer is probably Valley Pools for Marquis, their website is http://www.valleypools.com

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 05:40:53 am »
What part of Minnesota are you in? Any of the major brands will run about the same to operate. And if 25-35 dollars a month on average is to much cost then don't get a hot tub. In the dead of winter it could go as high as 35-45 or even more to run even the best insulated tub out there. But in the summer it may not go as high as 15-20 bucks to filter and heat for a month. Theres alot of contributing factors, amount of use, placement, ect.

There are several brands that fit this bill, Marquis, Hot Spring, Sundance and Arctic to name just a few. If your in the south MPLS/STP almost all major brands are represented. If you in the north several are also.
Retired

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 05:46:13 am »
also mentioned to keep the tub more economical is the blanket that floats on top of the water and helps insulate, along with a good cover (covers seem to be pretty decent from the factory with the 'big brands' from what I've read). I've only gone thru part of some chilly weather with our tub, this coming winter will be its first 'real' test.
Something else I wonder about, someone smart help me on this one.....would it be cheaper, after initial heatup period, to keep a larger tub at temp, or a smaller one? Is there any measurable difference known? (this doesn't include jets, lights, etc.....just heat)
RIP C-Rod

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 08:45:29 am »
I live just outside of Toronto (Canada).  I have a Beachcomber, I have only gone through one winter with it and I didn't see my electrical bill go up more than $20 that's including the rate increases put through.  I can only comment on my experience with this tub and I am sure all the top major brands have similiar efficiencies.  

Hope your in Hot water soon......

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 09:01:01 am »
I live in New England, and the winters can get cold, (although not as bad as Canada and MN)  ;D

I have a tiger River Caspain spa and it's performed well for me in the winter.  As others said, $25-$35 in the winter (This is greatly dependent  the weather, and how much you use the tub.   Personally, I belive a quality, closed cell full foam spa is your best deal for insulation.  

Poorly designed, "inexspensive"  tubs can cost a fortune. I had a used older tub and my electrical bill jumped by over $100 in Febrary of one winter. Arrrrrrgh.

07 Caldera Geneva

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 09:59:33 am »
I have a Beachcomber, but live in a warm climate (Tucson, AZ).  The temperature only gets in the 30's overnight in the winter, so it might not be a good comparision.  The tub has not raised my electric bill more than $15 per month.  In the summer it is less than $10.  I use the tub at least 5 nights a week.

Anoroc

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 10:43:29 am »
I am no expert here but my hs jetsetter i had over the winter did very well.  I now have a vanguard so i will see how it does in the winter.

Good luck

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 12:18:28 pm »
I live in weastern North Dakota so we have the same climate. My Coleman has never ran more than $30.00 outside in the coldest winter months.

nicker

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:33:42 pm »
First of all you should start looking and figure out your price range.  Pretty much all the big names mentioned on this board will be pretty much the same in operational costs.  Keep in mind the factors that also determin operational costs.  Size of tub, amount of use, temperature outside and hydro costs.    You also have to find a tub that you are comfortable in.  No sense buying a tub that you don't like to sit in.   Typically the the good ones are all around the $20-$25 per month  ($1.00 a day).   I am sure there are other MN people on this board that can put there 2 cents in.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 02:05:10 pm »
 Minnesota here- south metro suburbs.
Our spa is an Optima, and it's fine as far as energy costs go.  I'd say that the $1/day rule of thumb is pretty close.  As others have said, all of the "good" spas are pretty close to the same power consumption.  
Avoid the cheap spas sold in Big Box stores, they cut corners to keep prices low, and insulation is one way to cut costs.  Pay up front or pay forever..
Our electric bill stays pretty constant year round- in the summer the a/c runs it up, and in the winter the spa does.  But it's so worth it when you're soaking in mid winter!
Brewman

In Canada eh

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 11:43:06 pm »
I live in New England, and the winters can get cold, (although not as bad as Canada and MN)

Hey !!!! I believe Southwestern Ontario is actually south of New England ;D
Bullfrog 451

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 01:44:47 am »
Well I own a Marquis which is similar to a most high end spas when it comes to energy efficiency.  Most full foam tubs are likely similar in heat retention.  If you want the best for heat retention in realy damn cold climates, look at an Arctic.
Steve

jenni_ann_t

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 07:47:03 am »
My husband and I are really impressed with all the wonderful advice we have received on here.  I haven't looked into the Artic but I am seeing their name more and more on this website.  I also noticed the Beachcomber seems to be very efficient for people who own them and the Artic and Marquis has been recommended more than once.  THANK YOU so much to everyone who has given advice so far.    :)

Jennifer

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 08:10:19 am »
I own an Arctic, and to tell you the truth, I have no idea exactly how much it costs/mth (I am in Manitoba) - We never really noticed the change-over I guess, which suggests its probably on-line with the other major manufacturers listed above.

All I care is that the hot is hot when I want it - even if its -20C outside.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 08:10:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42