What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Comparison Shopping  (Read 4820 times)

dptubber

• 06 Sundance Marin
Comparison Shopping
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:31:02 am »
I am first time buyer and am hoping to get some help from the forum members....

I'm considering purchasing either the Sundance Marin or the Hot Springs Sovereign.  I've narrowed my choices to the above due to a width restriction on my elevated deck.  The narrowest point is 7'6" and would like enough room to put a lifter on the cover.

1) What is a reasonable price for a 06 model on both spas, without the audio system.

2) What are some major differences between the 2 models?

3)  I've not seen alot of discussions about the marin and would love to get some feedback from 06 marin owners.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hot Tub Forum

Comparison Shopping
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:31:02 am »

dptubber

• 06 Sundance Marin
Re: Comparison Shopping
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 01:15:53 pm »
Anyone purchase the above spas that wouldn't mind sharing purchase price? or any dealers willing to share their prices?  I don't want the sterio option though.

Thanks

bohms4

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 02:06:01 pm »
We recently got a price quote on the Sovereign with everything included (no stereo) - $8608.26.  I'm in Northern NJ and it seems to be on the high side compared to others on this site.  I don't know anything about the Marin.

dptubber

• 06 Sundance Marin
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 02:47:29 pm »
thanks for your response bohms4.

have you made a final decision yet?  I too will be challenged with a delivery by crane.  (reviewed your previous posts)

mjb

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 04:19:28 pm »
The Sundance Marin sells for $ 8,499.00 here
(before negotiations) with cover, delivery,
and chemicals included.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 06:39:02 pm »
Basically the cost of a Sovereign will vary depending on color, what the dealer has in stock, and how they purchased it.

See if you can get them to give you a floor model.

We sell the Sovereign for about $8300 with lifter, ozone, and steps- seems pretty low from what I've seen others selling it at.

There is no stereo option on the Sovereign, btw.  I would maybe press the dealer about getting Tri-X filters as a deal-breaker, though.

hymbaw

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 06:52:14 pm »
We sell the Marin for $7995 w/o stereo.

While similar in size you should consider the differences:

Sovereign has 1 jet pump - Marin 2

Marin has blower, Sovereign doesn't

Marin has high volume circ pump(35 gpm) with Microclean filtration - Sovereign has industry standard circ pump(5-7 gpm) with no bypass filtration.

If they are priced similarly I think the Marin is more tub for the $$ though the HotSpring is a fine tub.

Good Luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 07:09:00 pm »
OK, here we go.

Higher flow circ pump will cost slightly more to operate on Marin.

Jet pumps do not filter at all on Marin; all the water filters on Sovereign.

Moto Massage on Sovereign.

Diverter valve warrantied for 2 years on Sundance, 5 years on Hot Spring.

If they are priced similarly I think the Sovereign is a better choice for the $$ though the Marin is a fine tub.   ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

MarKee

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 12:06:38 am »
Who cares about a diverter valve warranty?  You should be concerned with much bigger things than that when it comes to a warranty.

shabba34

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 08:31:47 am »
Who cares about a diverter valve warranty?  You should be concerned with much bigger things than that when it comes to a warranty.
An item that is manipulated everytime you use a spa and is under tremendous pressure to do so seems like an important item to me....To add, the sovereign is closer to the altimar in specs than the marin.  I venture to say that dealers sell the altimar 700-1000$ more than the marin.(According to my wholesale pricing) ;)

Chris_H

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 10:16:26 am »
Since no one is discussing the greater points of the Sundance, I thought I might even though 3 months ago I swore I would never do this again.

First - I can guarantee you that the Marin costs the dealer more than the Sovereign.  

Spec wise:  The Sovereign has one jet pump.  The Marin has 2 jets pumps and one air blower.  Ask yourself this?  How much does the extra pump and air blower cost?  My guess is that those items retail separately for at least $250 for the pump and $125 for the air blower.   Both manufacturers have 5-year warranties on those items.

The warranty on the Hotspring is stronger because of the Sundance’s exclusions on diverters, jets and cabinet.  However, when comparing two of the best brands on the market the last thing I would worry about is the warranty on the diverters, jets, or cabinet.  

The higher flow circulation pump means that when the spa is not in use the water will be filtered in greater amounts and much more efficiently.  It is more efficient because the Marin has the MicroClean II filtration, which is filters down to 5 Microns (I don't believe it is currently NSF certified).  The Sovereign’s filtration is NSF certified to filter down to 18 Microns.  The Marin also filters almost 7 times more water when not in use.  I would say that is a great benefit because most consumers at most use the spa 1 hour a day.  So the question is, do you want to filter more water 23 hours a day or when using the spa for that 1 hour?  Also, when one of the pumps is on some of the water does get filtered so please remember that.  

I read someone make a Moto-Massage comment earlier so here are my thoughts on that.  One of the nice features on all of the Sundance Spas is the ability to adjust and change the jets - specifically the Fluidix Intelli-Jets and the Vortex Jets.  If the Moto-Massage were a feature that your family really enjoys, I would recommend on the Marin, to make sure two of the Fluidix Intelli-Jets are in the seat next to the lounge and set those jets to oscillate up and down, instead of side to side or straight.  Your salesman should be able to do this for you.  When the user does this, you will notice that the user will receive a massage much like standard Moto-Massage in that the user will receive a great massage of the spinal column.

I could careless which one you buy – I just want to make sure Sundance gets its due in this thread.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:14:09 am by Chris_H »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 10:43:13 am »
Why worry about the warranty on a part that isn't all that expensive, anyway?  
Last time I checked, the newer "quiet" diverter valves for Sundance were somewhere in the $30 range.  And anyone should be able to install a new one.
 Not sure if they're the same on all tubs, mine is an Optima.

Brewman

Chris_H

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 10:45:33 am »
Wanted to add one additional note:  According the Sundance’s website – the Marin uses the original MicroClean filtration.  http://www.sundancespas.com/800Series/MarinSpecs.php

However, on a different forum it stated that spa is now using the MicroClean II.  Can someone please confirm this?

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 11:10:25 am »
Wanted to add one additional note:  According the Sundance’s website – the Marin uses the original MicroClean filtration.  http://www.sundancespas.com/800Series/MarinSpecs.php

However, on a different forum it stated that spa is now using the MicroClean II.  Can someone please confirm this?

The '06 Marin now uses the Microclean II.

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 07:58:48 pm »
I appreciate all the comments on this thread.  I feel people are presenting facts and not getting nasty. :)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 07:58:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42