What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Too warm to tub?  (Read 3310 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Too warm to tub?
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:50:22 pm »
Lately it's been warm around here (northern VA), and it seems I'm less inclinded to tub (compared to the winter months)  I use 70 deg as my line in the sand.  If it's cooler than that I'll go tubbin, more than that and I'll usually stay out.  What do you guys (and gals) out west do when it's 90+ outside?  I mean when it's so warm out, it seems that the soak just wouldn't be enjoyable....

Hot Tub Forum

Too warm to tub?
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:50:22 pm »

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
Re: Too warm to tub?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 12:14:25 am »
We keep the water around 96-97 and get right in!  We've used it more than we thought we would in the summer months so far.  It truly looks to be year round enjoyment.

kellpup2112

• U win some, U lose some, but U party on 'em all!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 08:45:57 am »
Here in South Texas our high temp is usually in the mid to upper 90's this time if year. I've found that by turning my heater down to 80 and propping my cover open at   night, I can get the water temp down to the low 90's.  It's quite refreshing when we use it, usually between 6 and 8 p.m. At that time the outside temp is usally around 90. My wife doesn't like the water that cool, so I turn both pumps on high and by the end of our hour long soak it usually warms to between 95 and 97, which still feels OK. If the water gets any warmer than that, I get out, but she still enjoys it. I also leave it just slightly propped during the day to let any heat created by the 24 hour circ pump to vent but not enough to let the sun shine on the water. I would guess that your overnight lows are cooler than here, so you should have no trouble getting your water to a temp that suits you.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 08:51:13 am »
70 seems like a low line in the sand.  This time of the year our tub is still at 101-102 and we tub late in the evening.  The ambient temp outside does affect how long you can stay in the tub comfortably, but 20-30 minutes soaks are still comfortable and therapuetic. Afterwards we just get out, and right back into an air conditioned house.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 06:17:58 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 10:55:14 am »
Here in Florida, a 70 degree line in the sand would allow me 2 months of tubbing.

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 05:31:54 pm »
I live in Tennessee.

We have a pool, and we like to jump in the hot tub after a dip in the pool.  

I find that my hot tub usage has gone down as the outside temperature has gone up.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Chemmie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 08:53:43 am »
Here in Orlando we keep our tub at 104 and still go in almost every night and in the mornings on the weekend.

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 11:36:50 pm »
I'm going to try dropping the thermostat some more and propping the cover open with tennis balls to see how much difference it makes.  Right now I have the temp set at 96.  

I want to get a thermometer to see how warm the water really is.  Can I get one from a regular pool place or do they make different ones for hot tubs?

Thanks!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:23:02 am »
Any thermometer that has a reading range between say 80 and 120 degrees F should work.  
If you want a floating thermometer, you should be able to find one at any pool or spa store, or even a big box with a pool department.  
Just beware that a cheap one might not be that accurate.  For quick temperature checks I use a dial type analog probe thermometer that I got in the kitchen department of some store- it reads very quickly and is very accurate- I mostly use if for brewing beer.
But it can't be fully immersed in water- it's only for quick temperature checks.  

Brewman

xrdirthead

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 03:15:56 pm »
I live in Tennessee.

We have a pool, and we like to jump in the hot tub after a dip in the pool.  

I find that my hot tub usage has gone down as the outside temperature has gone up.

Can going from your pool right to your tub mess up your tub water?
I'm guessing your not having any trouble but just wondering if the two could cause a problem.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »

I'm guessing your not having any trouble but just wondering if the two could cause a problem.

There was a discussion here the other day (i think,) that going from a tub or pool that is sanitized with the Baqua products to a non baqua tub/pool could cause problems.   But folks using a chloring pool and have either a chlorine or bromine tub shouldn't have any problems.

07 Caldera Geneva

NittanyLion

• Fight on State...Roar Lions Roar!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 04:32:53 pm »
We've only had our tub for a month or so, but it seems in our use that if you keep the tub below body temp (we like 95-97) it is refreshing no matter what the temp is outside.  Maybe in the 90's outside you'll be better a couple degrees lower than that, but if you stay hard and fast at 100-104 I can see how it wouldn't be refreshing on a hot day, that's too hot.

gkck

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 09:08:28 pm »
I am in southern New Mexico. 95-103 degrees. I keep the tub at about 100 degrees. Hop in around 9pm to relax a few minutes. When you hope out it sure is cool. Best way to kool down on a hot day is to jump in the hot tub.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:55:58 pm »
Tubbing between sunset and sunrise works for me along with temp setting at 96 and keeping the cover propped during the day...my tub is in direct sun all day here in Florida and will heat up GREATLY if the cover is not propped. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 01:34:54 pm »
h

I've not had any problems. I don't use Baqua. I use dichlor.

In fact, a quick dip in the pool probably helps remove some of the contaminents that would have normally gunked up the hot tub water (lotion, hairspray, deodorant, oils, etc.)...especially since we don't make it a practice to shower before entering the hot tub.  

Pool/hot tub is a nice way to extend the water playtime with the kids.  We've thoroughly enjoyed our summer in the backyard with the pool and hot tub.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 01:34:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42