What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Thoughts on some tubs  (Read 2091 times)

Bee

Thoughts on some tubs
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:17:00 pm »
Again, cant say often enough how helpful this website is...

I've narrowed down my tubs to the Prodigy, the Tiger River Caspian,  Sundance Bahia and the Jacuzzi 345 (Jacuzzi has a 50th anniv sale that makes that model more affordable).  I'm scheduling wet tests this week.  

Any thoughts on any of these spas?  Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Thoughts on some tubs
« on: July 24, 2006, 12:17:00 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Thoughts on some tubs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 12:31:21 pm »
I've heard good things about all of them. Let us know how the wet tests go and what you think of the respective dealers.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 02:32:10 pm »
All seem to be good manufacturers by most reports. the Caspian and Prodigy are same "family" of manfacturer as are the Bahia and 345 I believe although they may be kissin' cousins at best according to some.

My opinion, which amounts to little since you have to live with it, is that the general configuration is better in the Bahia and 345 because it has four fairly open corner seats making it more flexible for 2 couples. It is also similar to the configuration of my spa hence my bias!  :P Prodigy is the smallest and if you can afford it and have room I always think a little more room is better than a little less room. Don't think the Prodigy has a motomassage and without it I don't know that it is any better than the others especially if is costs the same or more and yet is smaller.

But the wet test will be key. I sat in all of these and wet tested several I think but found I wanted more room and ended up with a larger spa. Of them all I like the Bahia because it is the biggest and because of the four corner seats and foot dome but others don't care for the foot dome and in a smaller tub it might be more in the way. In my tub the foot dome is no problem and heavily used!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:37:38 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:28:57 pm »
Prodigy does not have motomassage and you're right, it is on the smaller size.  I have 3 kids and liked the bench configuration for them.  

I'm curious what price you were given for the Bahia.  I was quoted 7200, and then he went on to dish spas with closed cell foam.  He said the closed cell foam is a service issue because no matter what, by 5 years ALL spas will develop some kind of leak.  Since the panels of these spas cant be removed for repairs and they need to go in from the bottom then the whole spa needs be removed from the property.  True????  

Dealer also said he'd throw in the cover lifter for free, if I bought by Wed. Big turn off but I dont want to rule out the Bahia just because of the dealer.  Wet testing on the weekend...

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:41:47 pm »
If a hot tub with closed-cell foam leaks, it does become more of an issue than it would if one that weren't fully-foamed leaked.  However, the probability of that spa with the closed-cell foam leaking is less.

Also, most closed-cell foam tubs have access to the side panels.  Ask your Hot Spring/Tiger River dealer to show you where the screws on the toe-space are for removing the sidepanel.  Other models will also have something similar.

Digging leaks out of the foam is of little concern- any savvy dealer can do it, and foam can always be replaced.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:49:07 pm »

I'm curious what price you were given for the Bahia.  I was quoted 7200, and then he went on to dish spas with closed cell foam.  

Sorry, just don't recall what I was quoted on the Bahia as this was 5 or 6 months ago and I have a hard time with yesterday!

At that point I was still looking and hadn't gotten into considering price beyond a ballpark figure of around 8K. I am pretty sure the Bahia (a 2005 they were probably trying to move) was less than that but until I had a better sense of what I wanted I didn't want to haggle on a price and waste somebodies time until I was sure I was going to buy if I got a price I liked. I ended up spending a bit more on the spa I finally bought but I have been pretty happy with it.

Looks like somebody answered the foam question, an endless debate here. But I would be surprised if the 800 series Sundance's aren't full foam so the sales persons argument lacks a wee bit of credibility...  ;D
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 12:01:57 am »

I'm curious what price you were given for the Bahia.  I was quoted 7200, and then he went on to dish spas with closed cell foam.  He said the closed cell foam is a service issue because no matter what, by 5 years ALL spas will develop some kind of leak.  Since the panels of these spas cant be removed for repairs and they need to go in from the bottom then the whole spa needs be removed from the property.  True????  

Now if you take the time to glue each and every fitting along with using only barbed fittings and than clamp each joint and always use braided tubing though-out the spa than this helps to also reduce the chance of leaking.....now who would build their spas like....anyone....anyone.... ::)

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:42:08 am »
I know. I know.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 01:42:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42