What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Does MPS Destroy Chlorine?  (Read 1593 times)

tuggnet

• 2006 HotSpring Grandee
Does MPS Destroy Chlorine?
« on: July 24, 2006, 06:03:48 pm »
Shocked with MPS last Friday and tested the water on Sunday.  My chlorine level was almost 0.  That's down from about 3PPM before the shock.

Will MPS overcome chlorine?  Would it be wise to include a bit of diclor with the MPS shock?

I use .25 oz (dry) diclor per person after each use and usually don't have any problems.  

I usually shock with diclor but thought I'd try the MPS route.

Cheers!

Hot Tub Forum

Does MPS Destroy Chlorine?
« on: July 24, 2006, 06:03:48 pm »

Brookenstein

Re: Does MPS Destroy Chlorine?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:30:31 pm »
I'm no expert, but here goes...

chlorine dissipates quickly so if you had 3 on Friday, then that would be normal to have 0 on Sunday.  I do not know what MPS does to chlorine.  I use 1 tsp per person dichlor after use and then shock weekly with MPS.  Occasionally I will shock with dichlor.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:43:52 pm »
No.

MPS actually aids the chlorine in its effectiveness.  They call it Chlorine Companion in most commercial applications.

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:20:54 pm »
My understanding is that the idea in a personal spa is to bring the levels of sanitizer up, and it should fall rather quickly to close to zero before the next use.

I come from owning a pool so this was a weird concept for me as well.  But my H20 is clear and not stinky as long as I follow the instructions.  I also use clarifier every couple of weeks to get all of the wife's lotion and my sweat out of the water.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:11:44 am »
 If you want to keep the chlorine reading at the 3 to 5 level, you'll have to add it daily.  
We add right after using the spa.  If for some reason we go a few days without using the spa, I at least add dichlor every 2 or 3 days or so.
Using MPS as shock is fine- some people report that it helps keep their water clear.  I occasionally use it, but it does tend to drop my Ph/alk readings.  Using just chlorine, once I get my water adjusted, it pretty much stays at the desired Ph and alk readings.

It took a couple years, but I'm finding out that the less stuff you add to the water, without compromising your Ph, alk, etc... the better the water quality, and the less expensive.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:11:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42