What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: D1 vs. Marquis-- two levels  (Read 2584 times)

Gholead

• This space for rent
D1 vs. Marquis-- two levels
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:46:32 am »
We're coming down to a four-way decision between two lines, two models.  If we go high end, it's Marquis Epic vs. D1 Californian.  If we go lower end, it's Marquis 530 Ultimate vs. D1 Wayfarer.  

We'll ultimately decide whether to go high end or low end on the basis of some kind of cost-benefit tradeofff

Based on the wet tests we've done, the two lines do about equally good things for us.  Each is better at some things, worse at others.

In our area, the D1 models each go for about $800 less than the corresponding Marquis model.  Anybody know why?  Any reason we shouldn't go for the the cost savings with D1 if we like it and its Marquis "pair" about equally?

--Gholead

Hot Tub Forum

D1 vs. Marquis-- two levels
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:46:32 am »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
Re: D1 vs. Marquis-- two levels
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:20:41 am »
I can think of no reason. Both are solid tubs with great reputations.

What about the dealers? Do they both make you feel confident in the level of service you will recieve after the purchase?
Homeworks Financing Representative

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:23:27 am »
One area you might look at for comparison is the warranties.  Marquis' has only one exclusion - the filter cartridge.  Most other companies have many, including your water maintenance, pump seals, pillows, spa cover, ozone system, etc.  These warranty exclusions certainly effect your total cost of ownership.
Marquis' cabinet (Durawood) warranty is for 7 years and includes the appearance.  Most cabinets are warrantied free from defects at time of delivery.  Some have longer warranties, up to 5 years, but don't cover fading, discoloring, etc.
The quality and strength of Marquis' spa cover is also exceptional.  Go back and compare the covers included with the spas you are considering.  Marquis spas have a three year warranty on the cover.  If covered by the spa manufacturer (most will refer you to their cover vendor when you have a problem), most carry a one year warranty.

MarKee

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
DPS you forgot to mention that Marquis has the only transferrable warranty out of all the large spa manufacturers.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:18:49 pm by Hideaway_King »

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 04:11:30 pm »
I'm a Marquis owner.  DPS and Markee pointed out some very good warranty comparisons.

I have an Epic and we've had no problems.  Dealer comparison is a serious consideration also.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 04:12:34 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

fatman

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 05:21:12 pm »
Another point to consider is that the D1 has a circ pump. Looking at it long term(past warranty) you will eventually have to replace it as they do not last forever. Beyond that, first dry test it and then wet test it.  A good dealer will accomodate you.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 06:54:34 am »
Epic owner here.  I am happy with my decision.  I haven't seen the D1 as there not in our area.  Although I definitely agree with all of the above, wet test again and get the one that's right for you, not us.
Steve

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:05:17 am »
When purchasing a spa last year, it came down to the same two brands: Marquis & D-1. It was a real toss up for us. We went with Marquis because we liked the dealer. He was more helpful than the D-1 dealer and was significantly closer.

Don't underestimate the importance of a helpful dealer. You'll see whay as you read through these pages.

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 09:05:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42