What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Opinions on the Costco spa and other ???  (Read 4284 times)

boobunnies

Opinions on the Costco spa and other ???
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:40:28 pm »
Costco has a great deal right now on the Discovery 400 NLXE 7-Person Spa Package-- $3,999 delivered curbside.

It has 41 jets, cd player/stereo, ozonator, cover and steps.

It sounds great, but I can't find any info on Discovery spas on the net. The warranty is 5 years for the shell and 2 years for the equipment.

Does this sound like a good deal, or are we better off getting a better name?

We want to spend around $4,000-$5,000 on something at least 8'x8' that seats 7-8 people.  Is this even doable?

Any thoughts on what spa you have and like, don't like, etc. would be much appreciated-- this is brand new territory for us!

Hot Tub Forum

Opinions on the Costco spa and other ???
« on: July 19, 2006, 04:40:28 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Opinions on the Costco spa and other ???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 04:52:05 pm »
 In addition to Costo and the other big boxes, check out some spa dealers.  Some "premium" spa companies make value line spas, that I'd consider way before I'd consider a big box tub.  Hot Springs has their Tiger River series, Sundance has a value line as well, as I'm sure do others.

Most premium spa dealers will include delivery and possibly hookup.  They'll also have people around to help you get started, test your water, answer your multiple questions on how to treat your water, and most importantly- be there when you need service.
Hard to say what kind of warranty service to expect from Costco's agent.  For sure I'd not rely on any Costco employees for advice or opinions.

And unless I'm wrong, you couldn't actually test a Costco spa.  

Make sure you learn about spas a bit- jet count, pump horsepower, and the like can be very mis-leading until you learn to translate what the specs. mean.

It may well be that a Costco spa is right up your alley, but you won't know for sure till you do some comparisons and some research outside of Costco.
Brewman

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 04:52:13 pm »
very very few spas will seat 7 or 8...but many will have 7 or 8 seats....but don't confuse that with room for 16 legs and feet....Look into Nordic for your price range you will get dealer support and comparable specs....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:53:21 pm by Mendocino101 »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 05:17:54 pm »
Check out the Hot Spot Mallorca.

It doesn't have the stereo option, but it's a great tub.  Two pumps, a waterfall, a blue LED light, remote control option.

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 09:19:39 pm »
Check out Bullfrogs Tapole line. They seem to have what your looking for at a reasonable price point.  We purchased a 451 model and are very happy.
Bullfrog 451

boobunnies

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:04:52 pm »
Some great ideas and info- thanks so much!  I love the Bullfrog spa-- too bad the closest dealer is hours away!

I had no idea what kind of an endeavor this would be- it's harder than choosing a car!  

Thanks!

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 12:14:05 am »
Try the Marquis Everyday line.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 11:00:25 am »
There is no doubt in my mind that you should conisder a better name.

However, budget is imporant. I hear you, but $3500 doesn't get you much.  Costco and big box stores can offer products at significantly less than other smaller retailers, but still....

I would not have "high expectations" for the tub in the areas of longevity,  (these are class of tubs many of the dealers say that after a few years really start to show problems). Insulation (if you are in a cold climate and have these tubs outside, do no be surprised at an increase of  $75-125 month electrical bills in January).  

Even 4-5 K is tough to do. Hotsprings offers some entry level spas that touch that price area, but do not have the "flash" that this no name tub has.

I own a tiger river, a lower end Watkins product offered by Hotspring. They are competitive on price and offer high quality.

Artersian has been getting a lot of talk lately around here, and thier prices seem to be in the low 6's....

If you are on a budget,  don't even consider steroes and waterfalls and fancy light packages. These are very exspeisve fluff.

At the very least, look around.  Read this forum. Ask questions. See what is out there, and you will begin to understand the price difference, quality, options, and importance of dealer and service. If after that, the Costco tub is the choice for you, then at least you will be buying from a point of knoweldge and not have false expectations.  

good luck!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 11:04:01 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Jack_L

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:59:27 am »
You can also get a Hotsprings spa from Costco.com delivered to your driveway at a fraction of what it would cost from a dealer.  It is a DIY, but there is a lot of $$$ to be saved by those on a tight budget.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:59:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42