What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cleaning Tri-X filters  (Read 14133 times)

kervis

• runnergirl
Cleaning Tri-X filters
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:41:36 pm »
Just read a post from Anoroc about putting the filters in the dishwasher.  The yahoos at my dealer gave me conflicting info, I have checked old threads as well--still conflicting info.  Now I turn to you all for the final answer.  This is what I think I should do:  put filters in dishwasher on an air-dry only cycle with a little bit of Cascade brand dishwasher soap.  I got out my dishwasher manual (can you find yours?  ;D) as I have heard that high water temps are bad for the filters.  My washer will wash at 130F, 140, or 145.  The final heated rinse is140F or 160F.  So....are those temps too high and will they damage my filters and void my warranty??
So far, I have hosed them off twice, but I really need to wash them.  I bought the Leisure Time Instant Cartridge Clean but haven't used it yet as I am thinking I should be able to put them in the dishwasher.  Ok--tell me what to do.  Thanks!  :)
2005 HS Vanguard

Hot Tub Forum

Cleaning Tri-X filters
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:41:36 pm »

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
Re: Cleaning Tri-X filters
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:44:13 pm »
Put them in the dishwasher at a low temperature if you can set it.

It's really the pressure you're looking for, not the heat.

Take them out before the drying cycle.

Do NOT use any type of dishwasher detergent with the filters as you will go through a quart of Anti-Foam in about ten minutes.

Use a granular or liquid soak for cleaning the filters in a five gallon bucket.  Leisure Time's is a pretty good one, as is the one that Hot Spring has in their Fresh Water line.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:56:13 pm »
Put them in the dishwasher at a low temperature if you can set it.

It's really the pressure you're looking for, not the heat.

Take them out before the drying cycle.

Do NOT use any type of dishwasher detergent with the filters as you will go through a quart of Anti-Foam in about ten minutes.

Use a granular or liquid soak for cleaning the filters in a five gallon bucket.  Leisure Time's is a pretty good one, as is the one that Hot Spring has in their Fresh Water line.

Or use your economy drying cycle with no jet dry.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:57:52 pm »
I know that the water enters my dishwasher at the 120 that my water heater is set at.  Then the washer heats it up to the pre-set temps for each cycle. Wait-- Upon further investigation of my manual, It looks as though the wash starts out at 130, then the main wash increases it to 140, then the final rinse is at 140.  That's it--No lower temps for me.  The anti-bacterial cycle cranks the final rinse to 160F if I choose that option.

I have an automatic drying aid dispenser that I fill with vinegar.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 04:59:04 pm by kervis »
2005 HS Vanguard

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 09:29:57 pm »
I have better luck with a high pressure garden hose. I tried the dishwasher a couple of times but the hose worked better for me.

Term uses a spinning fixure that I would like to use next time. Can you post a picture of it Chris?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 11:12:50 am »
No soap. Any temp. And keep in mind that 'rinsing' is just water - from the hose or in the dishwasher - while 'cleaning' uses some sort of chemical agent.

I like the instant filter cleaner, with a quick rinse via garden hose, and then into the dishwasher.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:17:51 am »
Gomboman, I'll try to find it in a little bit.

Don't use a drying cycle on your dishwasher.  Use a rinse cycle, no detergent, when you get through, put them back in the spa.  No need to dry them as they work better when they are wet. ;)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

xrdirthead

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 04:40:15 pm »
Gomboman, I'll try to find it in a little bit.

Don't use a drying cycle on your dishwasher.  Use a rinse cycle, no detergent, when you get through, put them back in the spa.  No need to dry them as they work better when they are wet. ;)

Terminator

Thanks Term. I was just going to ask if it would be a good idea to have two sets of filters.

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:30:34 am »
I'm a newbie and just did my first filter cleaning.
Used a spray-on filter cleaner, let it sit for 30 minutes, then used a pressure washer (on low ) to flush out the "gunk".
Really seemed to work well as the filters looked to be very clean and didn't seem to have been damaged.
My question is... will the pressure washing damage the filters ???

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 09:31:19 am »
No soap. Any temp. And keep in mind that 'rinsing' is just water - from the hose or in the dishwasher - while 'cleaning' uses some sort of chemical agent.

I like the instant filter cleaner, with a quick rinse via garden hose, and then into the dishwasher.

I have rinsed them with the jet stream setting on my hose. Amazing how much of my girl's long blonde hair came out. We had a talk about putting it up before entering the tub!  :P Perhaps some time this week I will use the spray on cleaner and try the dishwasher as the 160 temp seems to be okay with you all.   I would think it would help dissolve those body oils!  4 out of 5 of my floor model tri-x are a tea/rust stained color.  I have read that I may soak them in a bleach solution and that should whiten them.  I can't believe the bleach doesn't harm them though ???  Thanks for your replies!
2005 HS Vanguard

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2006, 08:12:11 am »
kervis, I know what you mean. My tri-x are also stained that orange-y color from all the rust that they filtered out. I'm going to purchase a 5 gallon bucket to soak them in.
I've heard that you can use a diluted solution of water and muriatic acid to do a good filter cleaning, but I haven't had the guts to try it yet, as a new tri-x runs about $55 here. I DO, however, have most of a gallon of the acid sitting around that I'd like to use up...last fill I tried spa down, and it worked for me.
Dilemma, dilemma..... ::)
RIP C-Rod

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:09:46 am »
I called my dealer yesterday and asked to return my TRI-X filters.

I am doing my first water change after buying these filters three months ago. I change my water every three - four months at most and it’s just my wife and I that use the tub.

I pulled the filters, washed them in the dishwasher twice (no soap) and then placed them back in the tub. I scrubbed the shell of the tub every water change.

Upon filling the tub I noticed little floatty things throughout my water along with a little hair.

I drained the tub and washed the filters with filter cleaner, scrubbed the shell again and refilled. Same results!

I drained tub again, washed filters, washed filter compartment, switched to a different garden hose and same problem. I'm using the HS pre-filter on the hose too.

I’m not running the jets, just filling the tub through the filter compartment so there is nothing “in the plumbing” that is causing this.

The guy on the phone at the dealer was not surprised and said he had problems with this. Now I was surprised at that…  

I'm convinced that the filters are the problem that they are coming apart or something. My filters are also discolored as mentioned in this thread. I think the pleated filters do a better job at catching particles and hair and trapping it. I don’t see how these big pleats are effective on the TRI-X filters. I know they say it filters by depth but I'm not happy with them especially after the cost.

I would rather buy new filters every so often, 1 - 2 years...

cooltoy2000

• Go Flames Go!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 11:07:32 am »
Interesting. I just got some Tri-X from my dealer and have not put them in. Anyone else with this issue?

hymbaw

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 11:37:56 am »
My question is... will the pressure washing damage the filters ???

I don't think you would have a problem using a pressure washer on Tri-X filters.....but it will do damage to the traditional pleated paper types.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 02:49:50 pm »
Interesting. I just got some Tri-X from my dealer and have not put them in. Anyone else with this issue?

I have not. I have a 9 year-old Grandee in my backyard. The folks we got if from are friends. They had upgraded to Tri-X because they were constantly calling us out to 'fix' the spa. One time it was the circ pump, but about 6 other times it was filthy filters. I have no idea what their kids were doing in that spa - and I don't want to know!

Point is: one of the filters was gray, and I never could get it to clean up. I rinsed, spritzed w/ instant filter clean, ran it through the dishwasher twice, and poured bleach over it. Never did come clean, so I tossed it.

That's the only Tri-X I have had any trouble with.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 02:49:50 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42