What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Record breaking water change!  (Read 3029 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Record breaking water change!
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:17:00 am »
I thought Brooke had a great idea, a water change in the hottest weather to save money heating the tub. So early yesterday, before we got into the high 90's, I decided to dump my 5+ month old water (even though it was still crystal clear, my hubby decided he wanted that "clean water feeling"). I took the pool vaccuum hose and tried to start a syphon...but had no luck ???. I think my air injector valve is stuck and I just kept getting too much air to start a good syphon. Finally after many tries, the water level was too low to run my pumps so I started  a syphon with my garden hose. That was so painfully slow that  I hooked up a mag pump and started pumping. That helped a little, but still very very slow. By about 4 pm, the tub was empty and I cleaned it, rinsed it, and started to refill. Now my water pressure from my well was going SLOW, very slow.. :(..Finally the tub was filled at about 11 last night.
I called my plumber this morning and he is on his way, apparently the bladder is leaking in my water tank..  >:(..guess I picked a lousy day to to a water change. This morning that darn water is still freezing cold, even though I left the top off all night. I guess the same insulation that kept it warm in the winter, is keeping it cold now... :-/  My well water comes out of the ground at about 45 degrees, I will leave the top off today and see if the 100 degree temps that we are expecting will help at all....But I'm kind of thinking a soak at 45 might be nice  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Record breaking water change!
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:17:00 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Record breaking water change!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 09:39:52 am »
On the brighter side of things, you discovered a well problem that needed to be addressed.  At least it wasn't Mid febuary when you found that out.  That would....suck.

Just trying to cheer ya up, Bonnie.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:40:26 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 10:03:44 am »
Oh my gosh, Drew, read my "Electric" post...I am happy..two birds with one stone  ;)

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 06:24:02 pm »
Ever tried vac hose with a shop vac?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 06:30:57 pm »
Boni,

I use sump pump hosing, 1 1/2" in diameter, to drain the tub. I've used it 4 times and 2 of those times I lost the use of it once it got past the filter.

I have no clue why but when that happens I get the old pool cover pump and use that as the "drain". My tub does have a bottom drain but I don't have access to it :(  but from what I've read it doesn't drain too fast.

I feel your pain! I hate when I have to use it, I am going to try using it with the sump pump hose hoping to get a greater flow out of it.

And BTW - I'm glad to hear about your electrical usage problem!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 08:08:22 am »
My  first water change was in March, about 30 degrees and it went like a breeze, the syphon worked and my tub emptied in less than 1/2 an hour. I am going to get a new hose, like you say Vinny, and check out that air valve that I think is still stuck open. I really think that is why I couldn't get it going, there were just too many bubbles in that fat hose.

Giraffe, I do use my shop vac, at the end to get the last bit of water out but do you mean to use the shop vac hose to syphon?  That might work real well, I have one of the vacs that mounts on the shop wall and the hose is really really long..but not as long as my pool vac hose....Good idea thanks  ;)

blakley33

• skin to win...in my tub!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 09:16:26 pm »
I assume that most tubs now have a drain valve built into the tub.
I don't understand what the problem is with draining your tubs. Is it just that it takes a while using the drain valve. My tub takes about 1.5hrs to drain and all I have to do is get into the tub when it is almost done and sweep the water off the seats and all of my water drains out and I am ready to refill.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:37:17 pm »
Seems that some drain valves are a little better than others.  Our Optima drains out in about 45 minutes.
I use a larger than standard hose (3/4") and the hose drops about 6' from the drain over about a 45' rus, so maybe that's helping.
I know someone at work here who takes half a day for theirs to drain, not sure what brand.
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:37:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42