What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Summer Sanitization Suggestions  (Read 3231 times)

spahopeful

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Summer Sanitization Suggestions
« on: July 18, 2006, 10:42:13 am »
I'm interested in suggestions for summer operation of my spa (I have a J385).  There is some "summer logic" built into the hottub which shuts off the ozinator since my water temperature is above the heater setting.  Is there a way around this so that I can keep my ozonator working more?  

Also,  I use the dichlor approach and will be on vacation for 11 days.  Will my water be ok without any dichlor during these 11 days, or what suggestions are there for when hottubs aren't in use for  a couple weeks?

Hot Tub Forum

Summer Sanitization Suggestions
« on: July 18, 2006, 10:42:13 am »

svspa

• Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Summer Sanitization Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 11:29:17 am »
spahopeful,

I don't think there is any way to defeat the summer logic, the spa is trying to protect itself and you from an extreme heat situation.

Most I've been gone from my tub without someone feeding it chlorine is 7 days. I basically did a super shock  (double my normal shock) to get the chlorine level up to about 20ppm.

You also may want to do a preliminary shock before the super shock. I've used both MPS and chlorine for that. Basically you want the tub as clean as possible to reduce the chlorine demand, allowing the ppm level to decline more slowly after the super shock.

If this happens to coincide with a water change then you'll probably also get more out of the chlorine dose. Clean fresh water should have a lower chlorine demand.

Maybe someone else has some other ideas, but this has worked for me.

Steve

hymbaw

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 11:30:42 am »
If you have ozone then I would recommend using "regular" logic. That ozone will help keep your water sanitized while you are away. I would superchlorinate with the dichlor to get the PPM up around 6 or 7 then give it a double shock when I returned.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I'am a prettyRe: Summer Sanitization Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 12:03:31 pm »
I'm a pretty new user, one month or so, our tub is at our weekend cabin.
Have been using a floater with chlorine tabs and so far the readings have been very close to the desired range when we get to use it on the weekend. Maybe need to do a little "fine tuning", but not too much.
Our tub does have a circ. pump that runs 24/7 and an ozonator.
For us its so far so good.
You might want to try the floater.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: I'am a prettyRe: Summer Sanitization Suggestio
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 01:33:21 pm »
I'm a pretty new user, one month or so, our tub is at our weekend cabin.
Have been using a floater with chlorine tabs and so far the readings have been very close to the desired range when we get to use it on the weekend. Maybe need to do a little "fine tuning", but not too much.
Our tub does have a circ. pump that runs 24/7 and an ozonator.
For us its so far so good.
You might want to try the floater.

If you are indeed using a floater with chlorine tabs, then you must be using trichlor tabs and these are definitely not recommended for hot tub use....if using chlorine, only dichlor should be used...and dichlor only comes in granulated form.  If you are using bromine, then the floater would be appropriate.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 01:57:14 pm »
If you are indeed using a floater with chlorine tabs, then you must be using trichlor tabs and these are definitely not recommended for hot tub use....if using chlorine, only dichlor should be used...and dichlor only comes in granulated form.  If you are using bromine, then the floater would be appropriate.

That is not true.  A few months ago, I learned here, that someone was acutally using dichlor tabs.
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 03:16:58 pm »

That is not true.  A few months ago, I learned here, that someone was acutally using dichlor tabs.

That's a first for me.....please provide some details.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 03:28:37 pm »

That's a first for me.....please provide some details.

My bad.

Backpains once insisted he had dichlor tabs. But several posts later amended it.

sorry for the confusion.

07 Caldera Geneva

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 05:35:49 pm »
My dealer and Manufacturer (Beachcomber) both recommend using a floater with trichlor tablets as a compliment to my Dichlor routine.  I don't want to start a deadhorse thing just thought I would throw that out there.

Rayman
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 05:43:32 pm »
My dealer and Manufacturer (Beachcomber) both recommend using a floater with trichlor tablets as a compliment to my Dichlor routine.  I don't want to start a deadhorse thing just thought I would throw that out there.

Rayman

There are a couple of manufacturers that allow the use of trichlor in their spas, but the vast majority disallow use and can void warranty.

ORANGEPEEL

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
All I know is Re: Summer Sanitization Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 07:53:11 pm »
Orangepeel Here  :o
Wow I guess I really am a "newbie" :o.
Not a chemist and don't have a clue as to what Dichlor and Trichlor do. I just thought chlorine was chlorine. :-/
Will check on what my tabs are this weekend.
We got the tabs directly from the dealer, so I assumed he would know, but maybe not ???
When I check the water with the Aqua Check strips the chlorine is very close.
Thanks for your replies. :-*
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 11:40:46 pm by ORANGEPEEL »

windsurfdog

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 08:26:56 am »
Trichlor is very acidic where dichlor is pH neutral...using trichlor is not recommended for hot tub use for this reason.  I find it amazing how many tub owners feel the need to "automate" the introduction of sanitizer in their tubs by using floaters when introducing dichlor after soaking is soooo easy.  If the choice is made to use a floater, bromine is the only sanitizer...or one could use trichlor and either battle pH constantly or ignore pH and have their tub eaten from the inside out quickly.  Read this to see the effects of low pH on just the heater element:  Doc's Handy-Dandy Heater Guide.

blakley33

• skin to win...in my tub!
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 09:12:15 pm »
Just for info my parents have a sundance that is about 16yrs old and have always used a floater with normal chlorine tabs in it. The tub has never had a problem up unitl about 1 month ago and they had to have some seals replaced on the pump.
They never have any issue with water, always clean and hardly any foam and I bet they go 5-6 month with out a water change. Now it is normally just them using the tub 2-3 times per week.
I always wonder about people telling you that you have to use all the special chemicals on hot tubs.
I do use dichlor and Oz in mine along with N2 and ozone but it has crossed my mind to use the floater, I seem to have alot of problems keeping my tub clean but I am getting better at it as time goes on.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 09:12:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42