What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Filtering  (Read 4247 times)

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
Sundance Filtering
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:26:24 pm »
Hi , I'm looking for some clarity regarding the Sundance Optimia filtering system.   As I understand it, the tub has a circulator pump which runs 24/7 and can be connected to an ozone device.   I've been told that the circulated water iruns through the filter  or  the filter membrane.

Is there a difference between filter and filter membrane?

Why do you have to run filter cycles if the spa is being filtered 24/7?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Filtering
« on: July 17, 2006, 09:26:24 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Sundance Filtering
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:17:11 am »
The "filter" is the same as the "filter membrane."  

If your Optima was made before 2005, then it has a laing circulation pump.  That pump does not move enough water per day to effectively filter the spa.  The main pumps are run to make up for this

If your Optima was made in 2005 or 2006, then the filter cycles are more accurately described as "heat cycles."  The circ. pump on this model filters more water than most circ. pump/ large pump combinations, therefore does not need the main pumps running during the filter cycles.  If the spa was in "economy" mode, it would only heat during these programmed filter cycles.

ggwagner

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 07:58:38 am »
It's not that the Sundance circ pump doesn't filter enough water. Running 24/7, the Sundance circ pump turns the water over more times than other tubs. The reason there is a separate "cycle" is to move the water out of the lines that go to the jets. These lines are different lines than the circ pump lines. The large pumps on Sundance 880 series kick in automatically twice a day (noon & midnight) for a couple minutes to ensure no stale water in the lines that go to the jets. The separate lines in Sundance 880 series relate directly to very efficient circulation, filtering and heating, plus a very powerful jet flow. Hope this helps.
Glenn Wagner
Sundance Spas Orillia Ontario

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 08:18:00 am »
My 2003 Optima has 2 filters.  One is a large pleated filter, and it is tied to one of the main pumps, the 2 speed one.  This pump can be set for 4 filter cycles per day, and each cycle can be set independently for run time.  If I felt the need, I could set this to run 24/7.
As it is, mine is set to cycle on for about 30 minutes, four times per day.  
  The smaller circulation pump is set to run at 24/7 default, but can be programmed to run for less time.  The circ pump provides heated water to the spa, and I believe ozone, but I don't have ozone in my spa, so not 100% on that.  
The circ pump draws water thru a smaller "microfilter", which is tighter than the main pleated filter.

Newer sundance spas have a somewhat different setup.

Argue the pros/cons of the system all you like, but my water is clean.  
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:18:46 am by Brewman »
Brewman

hymbaw

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 11:48:22 am »
 The circ pump provides heated water to the spa, and I believe ozone, but I don't have ozone in my spa, so not 100% on that.

Go ahead Brewman, say it with confidence, because you are [glb]100%[/glb] correct!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

mkotubs

• 2006 HS Vista
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 12:21:13 pm »
Ok, so this is the new 2006 version of tub.  And if i'm reading the replys correctly.

Circ pump, (ours does have an ozone device) pulls the water through the filter, retuning crystal clear heated water.

The filter cycles just purges the stagnet jet water twice a day or owner configured.

Is this a valid assumption that these purge (filter cycles) can than be short (5 minute) period of time?

How often are people replacing their sundance single filter?   I know it depends on use, but I was told every 8 mopnths or so.  Today, I replace my GE Refig water filter every 4 months for drinking water.  8 months seems long, but than again the Sundance filter is 100 bucks :(

ggwagner

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 09:15:31 pm »
MKO, you are correct. The purging cycles are not very long; only a couple minutes.
As for the filter, replacement timing does depend on usage - 6 to 9 months or 2 -3 water changes. $100 to replace the Microclean II is pretty good when you consider no maintenance and no fillter cleaning product to buy.
Glenn Wagner
Sundance Spas Orillia Ontario

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:14:09 pm »
 Good point.  As an example, with my older style Optima with the re-usable pleated filter, combined with the toss out microfilter-

I use 4 microfilters per year @ $15 each
4 bottles of filter cleaner for the pleated filter @ $9 ea.
So far I'm almost at $100.

Then consider the pro rated cost of the pleated filter, at maybe $25 per year per filter (I rotate between 2).

So that brings my cost to about $150 per year, give or take.  

The new system doesn't seem to be all that much more expensive.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 11:14:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42