What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: KWH Question  (Read 3494 times)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
KWH Question
« on: July 17, 2006, 04:49:48 am »
I presume all electric companies charge by the KWH
(kilo watt hour).

My question is how long does it take to reach that with a given device.

Example.  I turn on a floor lamp with a 100 watt bulb.
How long does it have to be on until 1KWH is used?

No I dont have time to do this buy checking my meter and using a clock.

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

KWH Question
« on: July 17, 2006, 04:49:48 am »

Cola

• Time for bed kids
Re: KWH Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:12:08 am »
kWh   kilo = 1000
1000 watt hours

100 watts for 10 hours = 1 kWh
Your energy supplier has several charges built into or added to the price.
There is the transmission costs.
There may be a multiplier due to line and transformer losses during transmision.
In Ontario, we have a debt retirement charge due to the old Ontario Hydro cost overruns which were never passed along to consumers back in the day.
Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 07:38:03 am »
 If you spa heater is rated to draw 5000 watts, then for every hour it runs, you will consume 5KW.  If you power is $0.10 per KWH, it will cost you about $0.50 per hour.
 That's just for the power itself, as r100rs said, there may be other costs added onto that.  In our case we pay about $0.075 per KWH, plus sales tax, but no fixed transmission or line fee.  We're on a co-op which buys power on the open market, and if their actual costs exceed the base rate, they just add in extra for that too.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 07:39:10 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Brookenstein

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:52 am »
Can you stop bragging about your electrical rates.   ;D You are making me very envious....  As of July 20th my rate will be .49 kwh + all the other factors.   >:(

If you spa heater is rated to draw 5000 watts, then for every hour it runs, you will consume 5KW.  If you power is $0.10 per KWH, it will cost you about $0.50 per hour.
  That's just for the power itself, as r100rs said, there may be other costs added onto that.  In our case we pay about $0.075 per KWH, plus sales tax, but no fixed transmission or line fee.  We're on a co-op which buys power on the open market, and if their actual costs exceed the base rate, they just add in extra for that too.

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:53:29 am »
Brooke,

It it makes you feel any better my electric bill this month was $355 in CT. Central Air has not stopped and tub has only been connected since the 6th... :-/. Still not as high as you but I can sure share in your sorrow over it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:54:26 pm »
At the beginning of the summer I was worried what my bill would be like during the season. At $0.14, I really can't complain - I paid $206 for electric and gas for June.

I guess this is the ONE area being in Jesey has paid off - Whoopiee!!!

nicker

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 01:44:40 pm »
OUCH!  $355 is pretty steep!   Is that normal in your area? Or are you powering lots and lots of stuff. Of maybe you house is just 150000 SQF and you have 8 air units to cool it?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 01:47:05 pm »
Brooke-

Sorry if I hit a nerve.  How in the world can they justify rates that high.  What makes you power so much more expensive, I wonder?
Brewman

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 01:50:16 pm »
Typical electric bill runs approx. $140.00/mo for us. Not sure what it will be with the tub and I won't have a true idea until the fall. CT has just experienced a 20% hike in rates. House is not huge, 2800sf but hubby works nights and I work days so someone always seems to be home and central air has not stopped.

If you think my bill was high did you see Brooke's :o

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 05:12:26 pm »
Brooke,

It it makes you feel any better my electric bill this month was $355 in CT. Central Air has not stopped and tub has only been connected since the 6th... :-/. Still not as high as you but I can sure share in your sorrow over it.

Can you explain what you mean by your central air has not stopped?  do you mean the compressor is constantly running or you mean your air is on and the compressor is cycling normally.    :-/

tmknies1

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 05:16:34 pm »

Can you explain what you mean by your central air has not stopped?  do you mean the compressor is constantly running or you mean your air is on and the compressor is cycling normally.    :-/

I meant we have not shut it off and opened any windows ;D

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 05:26:30 pm »
OK  just was trying to figure out you high $ electric bill.  I live in central florida and ours is always on 24/7 for the last 5 years.  It is a heat pump and cycles according to the weather.  Our $ /kwh is .10  and just got this months bill, it was 21 kwh higher this month than last year.  We have had our tub for 4 months now, so I have been paying attention to consumption and am pleasently suprised.  (so far) ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 06:31:24 pm »
I haven't opened any windows either. Luckily about 4 years ago we purchased an energy efficient heater (92%) and a A/C unit (14+ seer).

I bet I'm close to having it pay itself off from the savings!

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 10:54:24 pm »
Can you stop bragging about your electrical rates.   ;D You are making me very envious....  As of July 20th my rate will be .49 kwh + all the other factors.   >:(

Wow, Brooke, .49 Kwh is very high. Do you have that in writing? I'm going to be over 1,000 Kwh's this month. I can't imagine my bill going up to over $500/month. Are you sure you have this correct?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 12:07:44 am »
Gombo,

I called SoCal Edison last week.  I was told that what we paid .18 kwh for this time last year would cost .49kwh.  This of course is for the 300% over baseline price, which we always hit.

Now, the bill I just paid ($342) was for 1513kwh... so my avg kwh (including other fees, not just the billed kwh) was .23.  I'm hoping my percentage of the 300% over baseline will be minimal and so my bill will not increase significantly.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 12:07:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42