What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Overall ramblings after a year....  (Read 3460 times)

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
Overall ramblings after a year....
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:19:02 pm »
Greetings Term, Chas, Brewman, Brook, etc.  Been "in the wings" for quite a while, but I'm still around....

Well, after having my Beachcomber for just about a year now, I have formed some opinions, learned quite a few things, and had a good time doing it.  Some observations:

1.  Although my original dealer in South OC has changed hands, they have been very supportive with me on my one warranty issue (a snapped tab on one jet).

2.  Never, ever, EVER allow a dozen 13-year old girls in the tub immediately after a beach party without first showering or hosing them off.  In fact, demand alternate suits anyway.  The linings and pockets that girls' suits contain are great holders of vast quantities of sand, and, after THREE drainings, thorough flushing, removal of filters, jets, and screens, I STILL have a small amount of sand at the bottom of the tub.  

3.  The outrageous electrical bills that I spoke of several months back with several other members has been debunked.  After the aforementioned sand party, I drained the tub and shut it down for a week.  We then went to Boise for another week for regional US club soccer championships.  After NO tub power for two weeks as well as no power being used in the house, our bill went down a whole $11.00.  Chalk the costs up to ridiculous power cost in So Cal.....

4.  After I found thousands of of little white "floaties" in the tub, I removed my thermal blanket, which I believe was trapping whatever these were amongst the triangles in the blanket.  The water was clear within a half-day after this.  There are indeed potential disadvantages to the blanket.

5.  Proper water maintanance makes things pretty simple.  I had bad cloudy water last week after lapsing on the shock and chlorine.  A good dose of both along with four onces of the blue "water clarifier", and the tub was crystal clear again by morning.

6.  With the warm weather now, I have completely shut down the heater.  Although the circ pump still runs 24 hours a day, I have had no heat on for over a week, and the temperature has never dropped below 100 yet, even after use in the evening.  The tub seems pretty darn efficient.  Maybe not as efficient as a Haven, but then, what is?...

7.  Even as my son strives towards 6'1", and my daughter towards 5'9", the four of us can still fit and move comfortably around in the tub.  I'm very glad I chose to go with such a large and deep tub.

8.  I still love to grab a 7&7, wander out by myself, and hit all the different seats to unwind after a long day.  I'm still very content and use the tub almost nightly when I'm in town.

Keep up the good work and advice all!

Greg

Hot Tub Forum

Overall ramblings after a year....
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:19:02 pm »

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
Re: Overall ramblings after a year....
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:35 pm »
Great post....

cappykat

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:41:31 pm »
Ditto!
2005 Marquis Epic

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 03:52:38 pm »
Four words...

Hot Spring Spa Vac.

Out there in California you should be able to get ahold of one for about $40-$50.  Much cheaper than the time and cost of the water replacement.  There are alternate vendors as well, but the Spa Vac is the best one I've tried.

leaky

• Don't ask about the nickname...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 04:33:00 pm »
Thanks Giraffe.

I'll check, but I assume that this contraption vacuums out specific debris....

spaman-

• "ANYTHING GOES AS LONG AS ITS FUNNY"-SPATECH-
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 04:38:54 pm »
I find it funny that you havent figured out that no matter where or what a dozen 13 yr old girls do theres gonna be trouble to a small extent! ;)
-SpaMan~

ZzTop

• Beachcomber 550x owner
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 04:54:22 pm »
We have owned our Beachcomber for a little over two years now.

I have had absolutely no problems with it.  

It is inexpensive to run and maintain.

The Hot tub looks as new as the day we bought it, as there are no rubber head rests to rot.  A very practical and easy to maintain design.  

Beachcomber had a run of bad covers.  Just after two years of use the underside of the cover failed.  I was aware of this issue thanks to this forum and Steve.
Beachcomber is replacing the cover at no charge which shows what great Dealer after service they provide, as the warranty period had expired.

After living with a Hot tub for over two years we have decided to move it so that we do not have to go into our back yard to use it which is accessible ten feet from our basement door.  We will be able to just walk out on our rear deck and into the hot tub, which is much more convenient and without having to climb into it as it will be partially sunken into the new deck.

The new deck is an engineered steel and concrete floored deck and will be incorporated into our view deck, which runs the entire length of the back of our house.  Some forty feet in length, 14 feet in depth and 11 feet in elevation.with a southern exposure.   I have just completed excavation of four 2.5' x 2' x 1.5'  foundation forms and rebar.  We will be pouring fiber reinforced concrete within a week.

At the same time I am pouring a 6.5' x 14' x 5"  Wire grid and rebar reinforced floor for a new greenhouse.

The Hot Tub is presently on a paving brick base.  

After two years my experience with paving bricks is not positive.  I have had lots of trouble with ants living under and coming up between the bricks and kicking up sand which can get tracked into the Hot Tub.  Ants are difficult to get rid of and even after using Ant killing solutions they keep coming back. If I were to do it over again I would have poured a solid cement base.

The tub will have an 18" height exposure, to make it really easy to get in and out of.  The floor will be made out of sealed concrete, which will be water proof and maintenance free.  Indoor/outdoor carpet will also be applied around the hot tub.

I will post pictures when completed.

Regards, Zz,

:)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:13:45 pm by ZzTop »

Rayman

• KEEP ON TUBBING.....Bea chcomber owner
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 08:23:29 am »
I have had my Beachcomber for just over a year as well, after the first one was replaced under warranty I have had nothing but good times in the tub.  I have a little sand in the bottom of mine as well and my dealer "rents" the Spa vac for free, just sign the out sheet when taking and the in sheet when returning.  Or I can buy one, they work great.

Ray
Beachcomber 750, Brampton On Canada, GO LEAFS GO!!

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 08:39:19 am »
Good post.  We don't hear a lot of specifics on Beachcomber spas.  Great to hear it working out for you.

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 08:39:19 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42