What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: mps versus chlorine  (Read 2302 times)

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
mps versus chlorine
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:19:08 pm »
Can some one please explain the difference between MPS and Chlorine. I get so confused. I believe there was a post on this before but couldn't find it when I searched the archives.

Hot Tub Forum

mps versus chlorine
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:19:08 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: mps versus chlorine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:53:49 pm »
Chlorine is both a sanitizer and oxidizer, MPS is just an oxidizer.

Both chlorine and MPS will burn up (oxidize) the organic debris in the tub. You can use either to do the job with chlorine duing a double duty at higher levels.

To keep your tub free from nasties you need a sanitizer (in this case chlorine). As the chlorine gets used up it forms combined chlorine (CC). CC is the stuff that makes the chlorine smell; in order to get rid of it you either need 10x  free chlorine (FC) of the CC reading ( if it's 0.1 PPM CC then you need 1 PPM FC; if it's 1.0 PPM CC you need 10 PPM FC) to break the chemical bond of the CC or you can use MPS.

Just remember that you need a sanitizer in the tub ... MPS may keep the water looking clean for a while but the water probably is not as clean as you might think.

Something that I started doing every so often is to hit the tub with both MPS to oxidize and chlorine to sanitize, running 2 jet cycles with each back to back ... this simulates the enhanced shock that's being sold.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: mps versus chlorine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:53:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42