What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: N2 and Free Chlorine  (Read 5006 times)

lskarp

• There is no patch for stupid
N2 and Free Chlorine
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:16:40 pm »
I am pretty new at this so bear with me.  I purchased my new spa (Vita Spa Nuage) approx 3 weeks ago.  The dealer set me up with Leisure Time Brand Products (Chlorine).

My instructions are to add 1 tsp of Spa 56 (chlorine) after use.  Once a week, add 2 TBS of Spa 56 and 2 TBS of Renew (MPS Shock).  I have a Natures 2 stick in the filter as well.

My question in this.  My free chlorine is running at less than 1ppm the morning after.  I imagine that it is higher after adding the Chlorine when I am done at night.  Is this safe?  It is great as there is no smell and the clarity is excellent.  Am I using this correctly.

Hot Tub Forum

N2 and Free Chlorine
« on: July 10, 2006, 04:16:40 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: N2 and Free Chlorine
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:30:22 pm »
It sounds right to me (but I'm no expert).

Check the chlorine 10 minutes after you add after you use the tub.

The goal is to get it up to 5ppm to sanitize the tub, and then fall low, so when you soak there is very little chlorine.
07 Caldera Geneva

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:42:12 pm »
I usually add 2 tsp after soaking, especially if there has been more than one person in the spa.  The Nuage is 465 gallons, and I can't quite raise the ppm to 5 with less.  It always drops to 0.5 ppm before the next day.

I am about to join the "Nature 2 is a waste of money" club and just go with diclor.

lskarp

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 05:01:40 pm »
Isn't Spa56 Diclor?  I think it is.  Anyway, I don't know any different about N2, seems like Voodoo to me also.  Putting rocks in the filter and use less Chlorine and shock?  For now I am going with it.  It is like $22 for a stick which lasts 4 months supposedly.  We will see.

THX for the help!!

I love the Nuage.  

jcmsrv

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 05:46:16 pm »
Hi,
I had my tub for 14 months now. I use the N2 stick and I tried it without. My water looks better, clearer and has more of a crystal look with the N2. It may be vodo, but I like what it does
john

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 06:48:37 pm »
I believe it's more like a placebo not voodoo. I tried it for a water change and decided my tub doesn't react to that placebo the way other tubs do ... then again maybe my ozonator is producing anti ozone too! ;)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:57:58 am »
I have a Reflections Granada, same maker as Vita, and it is a 500 gallon tub. I find I need a heaping tsp, sometimes two tsp for good measure, after each soak for one or two people to get the chlorine where I want it and it is always gone or nearly gone by the next morning. I also use N2 for the moment and am about to replace my first stick. Don't know if it helps but haven't gone without yet to see if it makes any difference. Also have ozone and am at the end of my first tub of water and it is still doing very well after nearly 4 months.

After you add chlorine run the pumps for about 15 minutes and then test the chlorine level.  Then you can recheck in the morning or before you soak the next evening a few times to feel comfortable that you are getting the levels and clearing you want. I now only check on an infrequent basis as it has been stable and predictable for a long time.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:09:46 am »
Isn't Spa56 Diclor?  I think it is.  Anyway, I don't know any different about N2, seems like Voodoo to me also.  Putting rocks in the filter and use less Chlorine and shock?  For now I am going with it.  It is like $22 for a stick which lasts 4 months supposedly.  We will see.

THX for the help!!

I love the Nuage.  

Yes. Spa 56 is dichlor.

I didn't notice any differnece with the 2 stick.  Many folks claim thier water is better with it, my own experiecne told me otherwise.  YMMV.

However,  here is where I have always gotten confused.  I have heard of a few differrnt water programs/methods with the N2.

I get the impression that most folks here use them in addition to thier dichlor/bromine program and do no use any less sanitizer, however, doesn't the N2 program actually call for minimal use of a sanitzier?

Does anyone use less sanitizer with the N2 stick?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:10:51 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

lskarp

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 11:32:08 am »
When I look at the Leisure program without the N2, it seems to be pretty close.  I have not had to do anything with the PH since initial startup.  Maybe N2 helps that part?!?!  

Bottom line as I see it, I am 3 weeks into the spa, I still am working on my original .5# jar of Spa56.  I figure it will get me through a month.  So for $40 for a 5# jar, that is pretty inexpensive on the chem side for the enjoyment I get from my spa!  The only other product I use is Renew which is similar in price, but I only use it on the weekend (2 TBS) to shock along with 2 TBS of Spa56.  I am looking at approx $100 for the year, add in a couple of N2 sticks, some filter cleaner and clarifier, we still come in at $200 tops.  Cheaper than dinner and a movie for an entire year of relaxation.

Enjoy the popcorn, though I don't advise eating it in the spa.   ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 11:38:08 am »
When I look at the Leisure program without the N2, it seems to be pretty close.  I have not had to do anything with the PH since initial startup.  Maybe N2 helps that part?!?!  

Bottom line as I see it, I am 3 weeks into the spa, I still am working on my original .5# jar of Spa56.  I figure it will get me through a month.  So for $40 for a 5# jar, that is pretty inexpensive on the chem side for the enjoyment I get from my spa!  The only other product I use is Renew which is similar in price, but I only use it on the weekend (2 TBS) to shock along with 2 TBS of Spa56.  I am looking at approx $100 for the year, add in a couple of N2 sticks, some filter cleaner and clarifier, we still come in at $200 tops.  Cheaper than dinner and a movie for an entire year of relaxation.

Enjoy the popcorn, though I don't advise eating it in the spa.   ;D

I thought yo were supposed tobe usung less dichlor with the N2?

Or another way to look at it is....you double the cost of tub chems.  

You've realized a 100% increase in chemical costs by using your "magic"  beads.
8) ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 11:38:50 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

lskarp

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 11:46:43 am »
I don't know for sure at this point what the difference is with and without.  Without N2, are you supposed to keep free chlorine at 3-5PPM?  With N2 and the directions from my dealer, mine is at .5 or less the morning after.  As an added bonus, no Chlorine smell, bleaching, or cancerous effects.  The water feels 'soft' as well.

Though I have not run my spa without N2 (only 3 weeks old), I have been in others without.  I like the feel and look of my H20.  

I guess if I drop sanitizer and shock all together, I could save 100%???  Just kidding.   :o

Check the Chemical Manufacture's web site to see what they recommend without N2.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 11:58:31 am »
I don't know for sure at this point what the difference is with and without.  Without N2, are you supposed to keep free chlorine at 3-5PPM?  With N2 and the directions from my dealer, mine is at .5 or less the morning after.  As an added bonus, no Chlorine smell, bleaching, or cancerous effects.  The water feels 'soft' as well.

Though I have not run my spa without N2 (only 3 weeks old), I have been in others without.  I like the feel and look of my H20.  

I guess if I drop sanitizer and shock all together, I could save 100%???  Just kidding.   :o

Check the Chemical Manufacture's web site to see what they recommend without N2.

I use .5 tsp of spa 56 (per person) after using the tub and shock with 2 tbls of Renew every 2 weeks.   So  I don't see the chem benifit  of N2.  
07 Caldera Geneva

lskarp

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 12:03:47 pm »
True that.  Do what feels right.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 01:03:01 pm »

I run with no N2 and dose with 1.5 to 4.5 PPM after soaking and soak with no chlorine smell or bleaching and as far as cancerous effects ... well most municipalities use chlorine in the 3 PPM range after they possibly treat their water with REAL ozone.

Putting a $22 stick in for 4 months is a lot more money than dosing the tub with 3 PPM chlorine (Doc sells 5 lbs for $30). I guess it may have an effect on some water but I for one haven't seen the difference after using it one time. Some people who use MPS report having a reaction to it.

So there really is no perfect solution except after soaking replace the water ... but even then it'll be expensive to refill and heat.

JJ

• Vita Nuage
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 05:30:02 pm »
The only benefit of N2 (or ozone, for that matter) to me is the ability to skip dosing the tub if the tub is not being used.  With N2, I would expect a tub to go 3 or 4 days with no dichlor with no cloudiness problems.  My experience shows however, that I can't go two full days without adding dichlor, even with N2 in use and not using the tub!  So if I am going to have to add dichlor every day, I would rather just skip the other alleged sanitizers.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 05:30:02 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42